The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2017, 01:51 AM   #126
El Dorado Jim

Re: gm crate engine question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
http://www.genuinegmparts.com/powertrain-parts/engines

The warranty claim for is on this page and according to Summit Racing ( where I bought mine years ago..) it has to be installed by a dealer or ISC to obtain warranty coverage.

You asked for opinions and I'm just sharing my experience with them. Good luck to you.
I called Radley today just to confirm the warranty, Mike at Radley said the warranty is good if you install it yourself...just doesn't cover labor costs...which I don't care about...thanks for your info but things must have changed...
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:54 AM   #127
El Dorado Jim

Name:  IMG_1243.JPG
Views: 462
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1246.JPG
Views: 464
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1247.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1252.JPG
Views: 464
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1253.JPG
Views: 452
Size:  42.9 KB Got my engine running tonight, had wife keep it at 2000-2500 rpm's for 30 minutes....no leaks and no weird noises !! idled it down,set the timing and set the idle rpm's...it runs beautifully!!!! Love it when a plan comes together!!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #128
diggerbob

Did the misses complain about sitting in your truck mashing down the gas pedal in the garage for half an hour? Just wondering...mine would've complained a little bit...ok..a lot.
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #129
saxart

Good work Jim! Mine's still sitting on the engine stand covered in plastic.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:07 AM   #130
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerbob View Post
Did the misses complain about sitting in your truck mashing down the gas pedal in the garage for half an hour? Just wondering...mine would've complained a little bit...ok..a lot.
No, she was fine with it, she knows I had to check for leaks and weird noises.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #131
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Good work Jim! Mine's still sitting on the engine stand covered in plastic.
Thanks Art
Old 03-17-2017, 12:11 AM   #132
El Dorado Jim

I called Radley again today, the warranty starts when you buy it....for me it was Feb. 8th....the clock has started ticking.....you don't have to send in anything....I wrote down my mileage on the card they sent me,but if you think about it...50,000 miles or 3 years whatever is first, so basically you have a three year warranty....better than any machine shop I have ever used...6 mos was it...
Old 03-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #133
BILT4ME

Our engine was delivered Monday 3/20/17. Came well set in a crate. The freight bill stated 489 LB, but that is probably about 100 LB HEAVY compared to what it REALLY weighs. I know because we set it on a wheelchair lift on the back of my truck and it DEFINITELY weighs less than our son's 400LB power wheelchair.

Something to keep in mind if you're going to order: We ordered a new Dorman Harmonic Balancer for our engine. However, the timing cover that came on the new engine has NO TIMING MARKS or tabs at all. So, we will have to clean up and use our OLD timing cover and install a new seal in it. Not a big deal, just something to think about.

Many of the new engines run a crank sensor and computer controls, so the timing marks are not really necessary.

The engine came painted completely black and had machine oil all over it, so yeah, we need to clean it well, then scuff the paint, then paint it orange to match what we're doing.

There was absolutely NO paperwork or manuals or anything that came with it (I guess I was expecting something). I will check their website to confirm if there are any SPECIFIC procedures to make sure I complete in order to NOT void the warranty.

Looking forward to getting this in and hearing the fire in it!
Old 03-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #134
saxart

BILT-
Look under the cardboard cover on the intake valley. There should be a plastic bag in there with dipstick hole plugs and extra "pointers" for your balancer.

Also, on mine, there was a one page card-stock warranty description wrapped and stapled around one of the wood slats on the top of the crate. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Last edited by saxart; 03-28-2017 at 02:15 PM.
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #135
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
BILT-
Look under the cardboard cover on the intake valley. There should be a plastic bag in there with dipstick hole plugs and extra "pointers" for your balancer.

Also, on mine, there was a one page card-stock warranty description wrapped and stapled around one of the wood slats on the top of the crate. Not ideal, but better than nothing.
x2 if it doesn't have the timing "pointers" call Radley and have them send you some, there are two of them, they bolt on with two of the timing cover bolts,, one for whatever diameter damper you have
Old 03-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #136
BILT4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
x2 if it doesn't have the timing "pointers" call Radley and have them send you some, there are two of them, they bolt on with two of the timing cover bolts,, one for whatever diameter damper you have
Great! Thanks Guys!

Thanks Saxart too! (I can't figure out the multi-quote thing......

I saw the little bag, but didn't open it YET because we're still shuffling stuff in the garage.

I found the little tag wired to the crate for the warranty tag and told my son to grab that an make sure he saved all of it.

I'll open the bag tonight and confirm the parts in there and how they will work with the timing cover and the new damper.

I feel kinda stupid now........
Old 03-29-2017, 12:17 AM   #137
El Dorado Jim

dont feel stupid, our old engines have the timing pointers spot welded to the cover....I didn't use the plug they gave me for the dip stick hole...I plugged the one I didn't use on the passenger side with a 3/8" bolt,cut off the threads and used the smooth part of the bolt with the head on it, about 3/4" long ,used gasgacinch to glue it in...the plug they give you will fall right through into the engine on the passenger side....you will need to use your oil filter adapter and fuel pump rod and plate from your old engine also....let us know when you get it in and running....
Old 08-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #138
el_fantasma

Quote:
Got my engine running tonight, had wife keep it at 2000-2500 rpm's for 30 minutes....no leaks and no weird noises !! idled it down,set the timing and set the idle rpm's...it runs beautifully!!!! Love it when a plan comes together!!
Hi Jim,
Any updates on your engine? How is the paint holding up. What oil/additive did you eventually use. I'm asking because I'll be doing this too. Thanks
Old 08-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #139
anew4961

Quote:
I am going to buy a crate engine for my 72 K20 soon, the 350, 250 hp one from summit is $1600.00 vs. the 290 hp for $2350, what do you all think???, I'm leaning towards the $1600.00 one
I put a 10067353 in 4 bolt main 290 horse with 4 barrel & headers very happy with got it through gm parts direct
anew4961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #140
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_fantasma View Post
Hi Jim,
Any updates on your engine? How is the paint holding up. What oil/additive did you eventually use. I'm asking because I'll be doing this too. Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ZDDP-MAXX...lYcVAw&vxp=mtr this is the additive I used....the paint is holding up but I dont even have 500 miles on the engine yet...I just had the truck painted and the guy that did it worked on it for over two months, I just got it back and have been putting it back together, installing the trim, bumpers, grill, etc... I have some of the interior done, have an appointment next Friday to have the new windshield put in and the rear slider...then going to have the bed Line X ed to match the truck....then I need new tires....so will be a few weeks before I can start driving it again and get some miles on it.....I will be using this additive from now on whenever I do an oil change also