The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
rechinca

Looking for distributor advice

So the project took a (somewhat) unexpected/unwanted detour yesterday. Not wanting to crack open the 350 from a 1972 Impala that was in my truck, I was was finally at the point of no return. Time to open her up. My neighbors dad is in town due to a severely ill relative and needed a distraction. He is a big gearhead so he has been walking over quite a bit to see what I have going on. I gave a wrench and boy did we have that thing apart in say 10 mins?

Anyhow, the engine has a BAD cylinder, needs head work, a couple other cylinder were questionable so I said screw it and ordered a GM crate 350. Just their basic entry level one. I am going to need a new distributor for it. So putting out for masses and want to see what you would order up for it. Am I a glutton for punishment, yes, but I am really thinking I want to stay with the small cap style and not the large cap HEI. But I want your honest opinions. This motor is basic and will be run with ram horns, an Edelbrock Performer and 1406 carb as I have that already. It’s a daily around town driver on my days off and run to the local drive in car shows. And it’s going to be backed by it’s 3OTT. Thanks for the info in advance.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
gmc684x4

Re: Looking for distributor advice

That was the second thing i ditched in my truck was points dizzy 1st was external regulator altenator
I ran hei in all my k10s and k20 i have owned
Motor sits in back position tight but fits
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Can't tell you what to do, but happy to tell you what I did. After changing points & condenser a few times in my K20, on my belly atop the engine, I installed a used GM HEI in 1980. Best thing I ever did for my truck (and for me).

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

I highly recommend getting an early cast iron distributor. The early units have larger and better quality bushings giving you accurate spark distribution equal to the best units on the market today. Plus you can keep your small cap!
After cleaning and verifying the bushings are good install the basic Pertronix point replacement module. Solid units that I have run in various vehicles over the years with no failures.
For best performance (both HP and mileage) have the distributor curved by someone who is experienced with a distributor machine.
And just in case I carry a set of points and the screws to get me home if any thing did go wrong. This is the one for my Burban in the photos.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
RustyBucket

There's a variety of small cap/external coil H.E.I. distributors out there. Speedway sells one for under $70. Awhile back we replaced the tach. drive points distributor on a friend's '64 Corvette with a small cap H.E.I. tach. drive. Bought the stock looking one w/black cap & wires. The car starts & runs much better.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
rechinca

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
There's a variety of small cap/external coil H.E.I. distributors out there. Speedway sells one for under $70. Awhile back we replaced the tach. drive points distributor on a friend's '64 Corvette with a small cap H.E.I. tach. drive. Bought the stock looking one w/black cap & wires. The car starts & runs much better.
With the small cap style, does this necessitate the elimination of the resistor wire and adding a regular wire for full voltage like a regular HEI?
Old 10-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechinca View Post
With the small cap style, does this necessitate the elimination of the resistor wire and adding a regular wire for full voltage like a regular HEI?
Some do, some don’t.
Some you use a ballast resistor. Like a mopar does.
You want to stay stock looking then this would be the way to go.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...xoCd9kQAvD_BwE
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
RustyBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechinca View Post
The one we installed used a straight 12v. Deleted the resistor wire. Bought a black stock looking high voltage coil with the distributor. The old Corvette doesn't get driven enough and it used to foul plugs and run crappy after it sat for a month or two. Much better with the H.E.I.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
Boog
laying low

Switching to GM HEI is the best change I ever made to any of my vehicles. Starts easier and idles smoother due to a better spark. Set it and leave it alone. And the biggest plus is they are simple and you can find parts almost anywhere. I've only used the large cap dist but now that I have moved my engine to the 4wd location a smaller cap model would make it a bit easier to service. I'm not big on aftermarket units or conversions.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote