The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #26
Six862m6

Re: '68 Turn Signal Half Moon Connector Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Wow, this has piqued my interest. I found this thread on it as well. https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=783502
I wonder if these clips are reproduced?
Yea I'm not sure if they are anywhere or not, I've never seen them while looking through the various online catalogs. Doesn't mean they're not somewhere though, I have another post on here concerning the windshield wiper washer motors and one of the items in the post was that no one seemed to be able to find a replacement diaphragm for the original pump. One of the forum members chimed in and had found one, it just wasn't listed under these trucks. I think it was for Corvettes of the same vintage.

I've also become more convinced that those clips for mounting to behind the dash as in the pic on this thread and the one you posted are for slightly later than the '67-'68s. I don't see anyway I could get my harness (the main dash harness part, not the signal switch) to that location and it not be in the way of the dash or even to reach that area. Also the user '68OrangeSunshine chimed in on that post saying he had never seen that either and I'm guessing from his screenname that he's running a '68.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #27
Six862m6

Re: '68 Turn Signal Half Moon Connector Location

Just a quick update on this post of mine.

I finally got around to replacing the turn signal switch over the weekend that was installed in my truck with the new AAW switch with correct half moon connector and hazard button. Admittedly, it was a bit of a trick getting that hazard button through it's hole (it does not come off via screw like the round style that was on the previous turn signal switch) while fighting the new wires. I had to refer back to my old switch's wires to see how in the world they got them through the too small hole in the bottom of the cup that then allows the wires to run along the bottom of the column. The wires are all stuck together in a flat plane, fairly stiff. This was causing some major headaches in the cup area that the switch fits. Turns out, I had to break some of the wires loose from each other in the area that would be in the cup and pass through to the part behind and then twist this area so that they would fit. As mentioned, I learned this by referring back to my old switch. Once I figured that out, everything else went pretty smooth.

I decided to pass my switch harness all the way down my column then back up instead of closer up to the instrument panel area. My 68's hand brake bracket will cover it as you can see and this seems to work a lot nicer with that stiff, wide harness that doesn't like to bend. That being said, the new dash harness and switch harness come up just a little short to hang on the hook back in there that I've seen other's hooked to. It is what it is I guess, won't hurt anything it it's well back and out of the way. I've included some pictures showing the final installation of where this will fall in my truck.

*The black "wire" you see running next to the column is actually the fiber optic cable that runs from one of the dash light sockets up to my column gear position indicator.*
Attached Images

Last edited by Six862m6; 12-06-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Six862m6 is offline   Reply With Quote