The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2021, 10:55 PM   #1
ssuesens

Radiator Core Support Bushing Removal/Install

Tomorrow I'm changing out my cab bushings and core support bushings on my 72. The 2 rear cab bushings seem very straight forward. What is required to replace the radiator core support bushings? Do i need to remove the fan shroud or the radiator to access the bolts above the frame? Truck is very stock original front bumper and grill are currently removed. Any tips/tricks appreciated.

64 C10 SWB
71 C10 LWB
72 C10 LWB
ssuesens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:13 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Radiator Core Support Bushing Removal/Install

A couple years ago I replaced all 6 supports in my '71.. I didn't have to remove any items so much as even the radiator or battery, not even any ground straps.. Although for safety's sake, I disconnected the battery cables. I removed the three bolts on one side of the truck. Set a 4X4X24" on a floor jack, set it under the rocker panel.. Raised that side about 1 1/2" -- 2" and replaced the rubber parts.. Let the jack down and installed new bolts and Nyloc nuts.. Repeated the operation on the other side.. Total time -- about 1/2 hour..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
Davidf

Re: Radiator Core Support Bushing Removal/Install

I think you do need to remove or at lead move the radiator. If you don't, you cannot push the bolts up. If you don't push the bolts up, you will need to attempt to jack the front clip up high enough to let the rubber mounts clear the bolt. Jacking up the front clip that high is not a good idea unless you loosen/remove most of the front clip bolts.

So, what I did was remove the radiator top mounts, lift the radiator slight and move it off the low mounts so the body bolts could be removed. I did not have to disconnect trans cooler lines or radiator hoses...though you may consider removing trans lines...normally not much fluid is lost in doing so.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote