The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
RatMomma

Need to know how to price a difficult truck

My father-in-law has a truck to sell that is rather unique. We are having difficulty finding a value for it & I'm hoping someone here can send us in the right direction. It's a 1992 GMC Sierra step-side, 350 engine, American Conversion with plush interior & wood-grain accents, electric blue paint job. Here's the kicker. It's been garaged most of it's life & only has approx 10,000 miles on it. All original. He's an ASE certified mechanic so it's been maintained impeccably. How would you begin to value something like that? He gave it to my oldest son when he was born but now he's 10 & we realized this thing wouldn't be appropriate to turn a 16 year old out in. It's too rare & the gas mileage would eat him alive. Any help on finding a value & where to list it to sell is GREATLY appreciated!
RatMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
bloertcher

Re: Need to know how to price a difficult truck

Not trying to be sarcastic,but it's honestly worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
While being extremely rare,in my opinion these trucks haven't quite reached a point of appreciating in value just yet.
I know of a similar 95,with around 60,000 that sold a couple of years back for $5k.It wasn't a conversion truck,although I'm clueless as to how that would affect the value.
My best advice,would be to have a number in my head as an absolute bottom dollar.I would then list it on Ebay,with that number as a reserve.I normally wouldn't start at Ebay,but your dealing with a truck that the right person would travel a long ways for,or possibly even an overseas buyer.
Just my thoughts on it,but I don't think 10-12k would be unattainable,possibly more to the right Chevy truck nut.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If you're interested, I can work a trade for you. I have a '96 Regular cab stepside with a 4.3/automatic. Heck, I'll even trade even across. You won't have to pay me any "boot". Where else can you get a deal like that?

You can go to www.nada.com and look for used vehicle values. You'll be asked to plug in the make, model and some basic options. With the age of the vehicle, most of the add-ons are of no consequence. The engine, transmission and mileage will be about it. Sometimes, the color will be one of the questions asked. Reason being is that color makes a difference in some geographic areas. Like down South, a light color (silver, white) are preferable to a dark color...for reasons we all know. A black truck, or a dark blue, will be a hotter truck.....and I don't mean performance.

As to what these trucks are to the trucking world, the '88's introduction was the birth of the sport truck phenomenon. These '88-98's are the most-lowered trucks of all.

Oh, and from the Heart of Arkansas!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
TonawandaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatMomma View Post
My father-in-law has a truck to sell that is rather unique. We are having difficulty finding a value for it & I'm hoping someone here can send us in the right direction. It's a 1992 GMC Sierra step-side, 350 engine, American Conversion with plush interior & wood-grain accents, electric blue paint job. Here's the kicker. It's been garaged most of it's life & only has approx 10,000 miles on it. All original. He's an ASE certified mechanic so it's been maintained impeccably. How would you begin to value something like that? He gave it to my oldest son when he was born but now he's 10 & we realized this thing wouldn't be appropriate to turn a 16 year old out in. It's too rare & the gas mileage would eat him alive. Any help on finding a value & where to list it to sell is GREATLY appreciated!
Your basicly selling a truck that is like NEW!! don't give it away, I'd start at 8 to 10K
Like said above put it on ebay with a 9K reserve and see what it does.

My .02
Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
RatMomma

ChevLoRay - I'm originally from Benton! How bizarre!

Anyhoo, I appreciate all the info so far! I think I am getting ready to list it on eBay motors. I took pics of it last night but they didn't come out well once I looked at them on my laptop. I'll probably reshoot this weekend. I was really hoping it would go for closer to $15,000, I think I may start there & see what happens. That, combined with what he's already go in savings, will get my 10-year old something nice when the time comes. Thanks again for the help & any more info you can give is still appreciated! After taking those pics last night, I realized how nice a truck this really is. It's kinda sad to let it go...
RatMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Pics?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
Matt Mann

something like that could be worth 6 thousand, or it could be worth 10-12 thousand... it depends on a lot of factors, and basically boils down to what you are willing to accept for the truck, versus what someone is willing to pay for it. As siomeone else suggested, I would be checking with kelley blue book, and NADA for book values, then going from there... you might also do some local car shopping and see what dealers in your area are willing to offer for it, then going up from there...

you did not mention wether the truck was 2WD or 4WD, this makes a big difference, and can easxily add 3 thousand onto the price of the truck.. For what its worth, i have a 1992 chevy C1500 stepside, with a 350 and 4 speed automatic, and 2 wd... with 2WD, and Ive gotten offers of 6500 for it... then again, its got 122 thousand on it, but is in excellent shape mechanically, so valuing yours at 8-10K isnt being unreasonable...

sounds like a beautiful vehicle, I'm betting there are more than a few of us, that would enjoy seeing it... post some pics and see what kind of responses you get...
Matt Mann is offline   Reply With Quote