The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
1970FathomBlueMalibu

wheel and tire package?

I have an '08 Chevrolet 1/2 ton with about 28K on the odometer. Virtually zero problems, except the factory tires are junk.

I have the factory 17" chrome steel wheels. I hate them, but I don't think I have the money to upgrade them at this time. I DO need tires, however.

I don't put a ton of miles on the truck. Maybe around 200 miles a week. Half of that is highway and the other half is fairly rough dirt roads here in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. Lots of loose gravel and when it rains......plenty of mud. I live in a very rural area. I only have a 2WD, so anything the tires can do to help is great.

I'd like a much more aggressive tire that better fits my needs, due to the terrain. Not overly expensive, because I definitely want to step up to better wheels, at some point. But, something has to be done soon, as I just had a flat last week that required a plug.

I've been looking at Nitto Terra Grapplers

http://www.nittotire.com/

I've read mixed reviews on the Nitto's. Might be because the air pressure owners are running, however.

...or Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radials

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...=BajaATZRadial

I was thinking 265/60/17's.

Questions:

1. Anyone have any experience with either of these tires?

2. Any better tire recommendations for my application?

3. Any modifications need to be done to my truck?

4. How wide are the stock 17's on my truck?

5. What is the factory backspacking on the wheels? The offset?

6. They are 6-lug. What is the bolt pattern? 6 x 5.5" or something different?

FWIW, I'm looking for a slightly aggressive look without toooooooo much of a concern of road noise.

Also, my brother is a GM tech and he says if I have to run an oddball tire pressure, he can tune the computer to accept whatever I like, so a warning light isn't an issue.

He also says that I can get a program from GM, for about $50, to tune any wheel and tire package I can come up with in the future.

Sorry if these are basic questions, but I bought my Silverado brand new and haven't done anything but change the oil and have the steering wheel and a tire pressure replaced (under warranty).

I'm a big-time gearhead, but my experience is all on classic muscle, as I have 3 Chevelles and have tinkered with tons of other stuff. Just not my 08 Silverado.

Anything I might have left out?

I'd like to post a pic of my truck on here, but I don't know how........

Last edited by 1970FathomBlueMalibu; 03-18-2010 at 11:25 PM.
1970FathomBlueMalibu is offline   Reply With Quote