The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #1
Ironhorse

Recommendation- Seat Covers

Needing some seat covers for our '05 Tahoe with the leather seats. Driver's side has started a split like it seems ALL leather interiors do after a time. Any one have a set of slip on seat covers to recommend for front buckets that are fairly easy to install and fit well with out bunching? Maybe some thing one can order on line, open to truck shops, eBay, Amazon, etc. Driver's seat leather has split and is separating from the fiber backing. Damn, I hate leather interiors just for that reason alone, besides hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Give me cloth any day, wears much better. Just need to do something before it gets worse on the split.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:54 PM   #2
LT7A

Re: Recommendation- Seat Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Needing some seat covers for our '05 Tahoe with the leather seats. Driver's side has started a split like it seems ALL leather interiors do after a time. Any one have a set of slip on seat covers to recommend for front buckets that are fairly easy to install and fit well with out bunching? Maybe some thing one can order on line, open to truck shops, eBay, Amazon, etc. Driver's seat leather has split and is separating from the fiber backing. Damn, I hate leather interiors just for that reason alone, besides hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Give me cloth any day, wears much better. Just need to do something before it gets worse on the split.
Sorry to hear that the wear and tear has taken its toll. Three things come to mind, but they are all just from reading up, not from personal experience, so a grain of salt may be required or you may need to season them to taste, haha.

First, there is an online leather repair and restoration site that can sell you everything as if you were doing bodywork on your seats, including the right dye. Literally fillers for cracks and everything just as if it was on the sheetmetal. You may need to get the cover off and glue something to the backing to pull the split together. I'll come back and post a link if I find it.

Next is Katzkin. They have been making replacement seat covers, including leather, for a long time. Seem to be seat covers that look like OEM finishes, rather than drawstrings, etc.

And in the drawstring arena, Dirty Larry has some from Cabela's that he likes and recommends. They go out on four wheeling adventures, and so I think they are heavy duty. What's his buddy's name, Zoomad? I think his K5 Blazer thread also mentions the seat covers. Anyway, good luck!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
Ironhorse

LT7A, thanks for the reply and the info. Really don't think the Katzkins is the direction I want to go. Would really like to get away from the leather completely, have always preferred cloth over leather or vinyl.

We have a truck accessories shop in Wichita, just north of me. Next time I am in Wichita I plan to stop in and see what they have available. Not opposed to the drawstring style cloth covers if they fit tight, don't bunch up and wear decently. Have always preferred fit, form and function over the purchase price. Good isn't cheap and cheap isn't good is a hard and fast rule I've usually found to be true many times over.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 05-19-2022, 07:44 PM   #4
hatzie

If you want to get replacement leather for the cushion look up The Seat Shop.
They use the exact same plastic clips as the factory covers, better quality leather, and they fit properly.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:09 PM   #5
Ironhorse

hatzie, thanks for the info. Will for sure need to do something before the seat gets real bad.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks