The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
jrusher

Picked up a 1987 Jimmy

I’ve been over on the 60-66 and 72 sections for awhile built a few of those trucks with ls engines and turbos etc . I’m just finishing a 66 short fleet thats going back to factory original specs pretty much except for the patina paint Andy 5 speed tranny . Been keeping an eye for a blazer or jimmy and came across this 87 jimmy last week. It’s alittle newer then what I wanted but I couldn’t pass it up as it’s in real nice shape . It was in storage last 15 years, 2 owner truck had one repaint . It’s on propane so might have to swap that back to gas as it’s hard to find propane around here . I pick it up in about a week and will hopefully get it on the road pretty quick. Should be a nice summer cruiser for the wife and a good match to pull the old 80s Baja boat to the lake
Attached Images

Last edited by jrusher; 07-24-2022 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added more info
jrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #2
jrusher

Re: Picked up a 1987 Jimmy

Couple more pics
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2022, 06:01 PM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Man what a great rig! Congrats! I’ve heard that propane engines burn much cleaner than gas engines so hopefully that engine is nice and healthy.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:55 PM   #4
jrusher

Thanks! The old feller I bought it from said he drove into the storage shed and he hasn’t ran it since. I’m sure it should fire up without much work . I have no experience with propane set ups or the tbi 350 so will be doing some research . Clean it up , rip the running boards off and get it through a inspection and get it on the road 😀
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Man what a great rig! Congrats! I’ve heard that propane engines burn much cleaner than gas engines so hopefully that engine is nice and healthy.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #5
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusher View Post
Thanks! The old feller I bought it from said he drove into the storage shed and he hasn’t ran it since. I’m sure it should fire up without much work . I have no experience with propane set ups or the tbi 350 so will be doing some research . Clean it up , rip the running boards off and get it through a inspection and get it on the road 😀
I always hold my breath when I see a rig like this with the running boards. Sometimes those are just what's needed to make a vehicle useable for somebody. But pulling those off will knock it out of the park on this rig. I've heard that propane is the equivalent of a high octane fuel. It would be interesting to advance the timing and cam it to get the most out of propane and see how it goes. But if it's not convenient, that sort of wipes out that idea. Amazingly well preserved. I remember climbing in one of those at our local fair when they were new and daydreaming of being able to buy one.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:21 PM   #6
jrusher

Yes the boards have to go. I might look for some rally wheels as well I’m not totally sold on those aluminum rims but they are factory . I might play around with the propane system and engine before converting it back . QUOTE=LT7A;9105772]I always hold my breath when I see a rig like this with the running boards. Sometimes those are just what's needed to make a vehicle useable for somebody. But pulling those off will knock it out of the park on this rig. I've heard that propane is the equivalent of a high octane fuel. It would be interesting to advance the timing and cam it to get the most out of propane and see how it goes. But if it's not convenient, that sort of wipes out that idea. Amazingly well preserved. I remember climbing in one of those at our local fair when they were new and daydreaming of being able to buy one.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-31-2022, 07:55 PM   #7
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I would gladly send you a good set of rally’s if you send me those aluminum wheels….
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote