The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
vintovka

Neutral Safety switch

My 54 came from factory with a four speed Hydramatic Transmission. As such the they put a starter button on the dash instead of a stomp switch on the floor. Now looking for diagram of how to wire my original standalone starter push button to the 84 GM tilt column neutral safety switch. Currently the GM key is used to turn on ignition and then the starter is engaged by pushing the button. Right now it will start in gear which is not good.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Neutral Safety switch

You can wire your stomp switch into the neutral safety switch.

Your wiring will be somewhat custom.

Here is a diagram that I hope helps you.

You may have to draw your own from this one,
Or one you find on-line. Hope this helps.

Name:  Safety Sw.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  44.7 KB
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
_Ogre

cut either wire off the start switch and run both ends of the cut wire to the nss
it's as easy as that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
You can wire your stomp switch into the neutral safety switch.
while vintovka has a wired starter button, you can not wire a stomp switch to the nss, unless you find a 300amp nss.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #4
vintovka

True never had a stomp switch from the factory. Not sure what to do other than wire the column start to the starter and treat the push button as an auxiliary. Its ok for me but have to warn others right now.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #5
whitedog76

Just a thought, use a NO relay on the brake pedal switch. Activate it off a brake circuit, use the common/NO contacts on the starter circuit. Truck will only start if your foot is on the brake pedal.

Last edited by whitedog76; 09-18-2022 at 01:23 PM.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
Just a thought, use a NO relay on the brake pedal switch. Activate it off a brake circuit, use the common/NO contacts on the starter circuit. Truck will only start if your foot is on the brake pedal.
Sounds good and will try, Still think I need the neutral switch for total safety
Old 09-18-2022, 02:57 PM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
That will work, At least to keep the truck from starting unintentionally. It would be like the later stick shift rigs that you have to push the clutch pedal on to activate the clutch safety switch.

As far as the push button start, does it have two wires to it? Hot feed in and a wire to the solenoid or does it go to ground like older Ford starter buttons do.

If has a hot wire in and the other wire goes to the starter solenoid just run that wire to the Neutral switch and run a wire from the neutral switch. Most likely cutting the wire that runs from the solenoid at the right length to put a terminal on and connect to the neutral switch and making up a new wire (no splices in the wire) to run from the pushbutton to the neutral switch. Spliced wires always seem to be where electriclal issues start later. That would be neat and orderly and shouldn't take but a few minutes and a piece of wire and three terminals to do. Unless there is enough extra wire to just cut the wire and put terminals on the ends and connect to the neutral switch.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:58 PM   #8
Hcb3200

i was thinking and then messed up my reply not reading or really remembering this is a automatic
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:42 PM   #9
mr48chev

This is supposed to be the stock wiring diagram for a 54 Chevy truck.
If you look just below the gas gauge sender you see the starter push button with two wires, one running to the Ammeter and one running to the S post on the solenoid.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:05 PM   #10
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
As far as the push button start, does it have two wires to it? Hot feed in and a wire to the solenoid or does it go to ground like older Ford starter buttons do.
Two wires, one hot one to starter. Thanks for advice. Will prolly do both the brake and the neutral switch. That way will have have foot on brake and in park/neutral to start like a modern car. Report to follow.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:13 PM   #11
mr48chev

If you still have the floor pedal you could use a second brake light switch as a brake pedal switch.

Maybe a bit overkill but it means that no one can crank the engine accidently.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #12
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
If you still have the floor pedal you could use a second brake light switch as a brake pedal switch.

Maybe a bit overkill but it means that no one can crank the engine accidently.
Now you have me thinking. How about just running power from the brake light switch to one side of the neutral then from the other side of the neutral to the push button?? This means brake must be applied and in Park/neutral to start?
Old 09-18-2022, 07:55 PM   #13
whitedog76

The 54's with 3OT and 4 speed use the stomp starter, which is shaft actuated to the starter. The key switch, merely kills the ignition.
The cab/chassis, Hydramatic, and big trucks all use the key switch and push button start.

It may be possible to do a limit switch or even a universal NSS switch on the factory linkage. It would only work when in park and would require some fabricating.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:13 PM   #14
vintovka

Quote:
The 54's with 3OT and 4 speed use the stomp starter, which is shaft actuated to the starter. The key switch, merely kills the ignition.
The cab/chassis, Hydramatic, and big trucks all use the key switch and push button start.

It may be possible to do a limit switch or even a universal NSS switch on the factory linkage. It would only work when in park and would require some fabricating.
Mine is so modified less than 1% of the original 54 wiring is left. There's only that one piece of original plastic coated wire that runs up to the dome light. ( BTW someone told me 54 was first year of all plastic coated wire? )

It has an 84 k10 chassis/ steering column now which are still stock and 3 fuse blocks for all the mods. The NSS on the 84 column is brand new and now its only use is for the back up lights. The columns key switch is disabled and used for ignition and locking. I like it that way as another of several theft deterrents. May hook it up someday and use my new fancy alarms "starter kill" function at that time.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #15
_Ogre

Quote:
interesting, did not know this.
is it the same for 55-59 trucks? i know all v8 tf trucks had the solenoid starter

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:04 PM   #16
vintovka

Just an update. Ran power from Brake Light switch to NSS and then to push button. Works ok, but the pushing the brake pedal is hard for me after 53+ years muscle memory from just hitting the button. Also hard to use gas pedal (if necessary) to start. May delete it. Next up - installing magnetic switches in lieu of mechanical alarm ones for doors and hood. Just turned 73 and the race is on!!
Old 09-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #17
mr48chev

Just remembering back 40 years, One of my students used one of those clamp on the column horn buttons for a neutral safety switch (bypass) back then in his Chevelle. The stock switch had given out and he wired in a horn button where you could reach it under the dash when you went to crank the engine. It was on the left side of the column where he could reach it without stretching much or having a passenger even notice. The whole idea of a neutral switch is not having the engine crank when you don't want it to or when it shouldn't anyhow.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:12 PM   #18
vintovka

The biggest issue is not launching the truck thru the part of garage without the door. Most cars today require your foot to be on the brake to engage starter for this reason. Funny that many forget to open door before driving out!!!!

That said and OT am seeing many nice trucks (and nearly complete projects) selling for much less than what was spent on them already. One ad is actaully begging someone to buy his. May post. IMHO Inflation may kill our hobby dead!!