The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
Oldschool82
Balls to the wall!

Question about a dash pad swap

I have a swb 82 and I am re-doing the interior. The dash pad that came out of it has this place at the very end of the passenger side that kind flairs out to a point and the trim goes up and over the pointed end. Under the pad though, the medal on the dash is round and does not come to a point like the dash pad. I have seen some in different model square bodies that look like mine but are more rounded off on that end and the trim does not go all the way off the end. I hope I explained that well enough. My question is will these two styles of dash pad interchange without any modding? Thanks!
Oldschool82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Re: Question about a dash pad swap

I am not really understanding the description.....but there are (atleast) 2 different square body dash pads I think.... there is pre-1981 and post. VIN hole and speaker holes are the most visible differences. You have to use the gauge bezzel to match the style pad you have.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
79 silverado
Account Suspended

there are three basic styles of dash pad.

1973-1978 - on these the pad excepting the cluster surround slopes back towards the windshield after a vertical section that the dash plaque and a/c vents if equipped rest in. This style does NOT have a cutout for a vintag near the windshield as they are still door pillar mounted.

1979-80 - same as the above except there *is* a hole for the vin tag as these years went to the dash mounted tag

1981-87 - this is the style it sounds like you have, which is basically box shaped and has a longer flat top to the dash pad also with a vin cutout.

Note: if you go change pads/styles, one thing of note is the 1973-1982 models had their wiper motors mounted into the dash and not on the steering column - the holes on the lower left corner of the bezels are different accordingly.

I personally have never tried making the swap, and cannot speak to the absolute need to swap the bezel as well as the pad, but its something you can play at in the junkyard I would think....
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Oldschool82
Balls to the wall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 silverado View Post
there are three basic styles of dash pad.

1973-1978 - on these the pad excepting the cluster surround slopes back towards the windshield after a vertical section that the dash plaque and a/c vents if equipped rest in. This style does NOT have a cutout for a vintag near the windshield as they are still door pillar mounted.

1979-80 - same as the above except there *is* a hole for the vin tag as these years went to the dash mounted tag

1981-87 - this is the style it sounds like you have, which is basically box shaped and has a longer flat top to the dash pad also with a vin cutout.

Note: if you go change pads/styles, one thing of note is the 1973-1982 models had their wiper motors mounted into the dash and not on the steering column - the holes on the lower left corner of the bezels are different accordingly.

I personally have never tried making the swap, and cannot speak to the absolute need to swap the bezel as well as the pad, but its something you can play at in the junkyard I would think....
Thanks..I had seen a pretty clean dash pad in a junk yard and the guy only wanted $25.00 for it. It was on an 80 or older truck and did not seem too different from mine and besides the price I liked that style better than the one in mine.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Oldschool82
Balls to the wall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
I am not really understanding the description.....but there are (atleast) 2 different square body dash pads I think.... there is pre-1981 and post. VIN hole and speaker holes are the most visible differences. You have to use the gauge bezzel to match the style pad you have.
Thanks...I may just go a head and try it, I can get a used one that is real clean for $25 at this salvage yard near by. I just hope my bezel will match up with that one.