The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2022, 12:38 AM   #101
mr.mud1

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.c.ward View Post
Amazing job sir. Your work is inspiring. You'll be driving this thing in no time.
thank you sir,i appreciate the kind words,i'm glad you're following along.it's hard to believe,a bunch of oil leaks lead to all this but that's ok,it'll be a better truck when i'm done and we'll be driving by the time the weather gets better in a few weeks or a month but a little paint work first is on the agenda.you take care,Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #102
Happy_dan

Amazing work Greg. Looks as great as I figured it would!
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #103
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
Amazing work Greg. Looks as great as I figured it would!
thanks a million Dan.i was just going to email,the harness you sent for the turbo 400 kickdown arrived this morning,another piece of the puzzle.thanks again.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #104
mr.mud1

well today went well,a fairly productive day.i installed the new A/C compressor clutch bearing and then all the bracketry for the A/C pump and then the pump,then all the lines,just temporarliy through,i'm waiting on "O" rings for all the connections,a new dryer and a few other odds and ends.i got my new rad in,the shroud and the upper and lower rad hoses,the transmission cooler lines in the rad.all the belts are on,the voltage regulator and horns are on and some wiring done.we're getting closer to hearing this run,i expect in the next day or two.take care.Greg
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2022, 06:41 PM   #105
LT7A

That's a lot of progress! Radiator looks really good. Sorry to hear about the repro gutters. I marvel at the mindset that allows something so simple to be manufactured so incorrectly. There is no way I would want to drill a hole in a truck like yours to make a piece.......... like that fit.
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 04:00 PM   #106
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
That's a lot of progress! Radiator looks really good. Sorry to hear about the repro gutters. I marvel at the mindset that allows something so simple to be manufactured so incorrectly. There is no way I would want to drill a hole in a truck like yours to make a piece.......... like that fit.
yes sir,coming together.i'm just waiting on some GM heater hose and some more tower clamps,it's just about to fire up.that'll be a good day.take care.Greg
Old 03-06-2022, 04:18 PM   #107
mr.mud1

well,a little more progress today.i managed to get my hands on a 20 year old,new in the package,repro wire harness gutter for the firewall,took that hard piece of plastic crap off the firewall that i just bought,and fired it in the trash along with it's brother for the rad support.i installed the new/old one in minutes,nice and soft,pliable,the way it's supposed to be,and what do you know?where there was a screw hole in the molding,there was a hole to match in the truck??now i have to come up with something for the rad support,as i think my trip to the Charlotte Autofair might be in thin ice??might not ever be able to afford the gas??i have to now come up with something for the rad support wire gutter.the fenders are on along with my repainted fender emblems,the new harness for the kickdown is on the turbo 400(thanks Dan)the battery is in and some other odds and ends hooked up and installed,waiting on some GM heater hose and clamps,that's about it,it'll be ready to start.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2022, 07:54 AM   #108
Happy_dan

Looking amazing of course. You didn't get enough tower clamps? You had them shipped direct to you?
Old 03-07-2022, 08:29 AM   #109
mr.mud1

hi Dan,of all the things i've lost,i miss my mind the most,that GM hose is here,thanks again.i forgot and thought it was still on it's way.i did use several tower clamps and they all broke,more chinese junk??i'm going to have to use some regular gear clamps til i can get some more tower clamps.sorry for the confusion,all good.take care my friend.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #110
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I had the same luck with the tower clamps I got too. I hated removing them and now I hate the ones I just threw in the trash.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:41 AM   #111
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I had the same luck with the tower clamps I got too. I hated removing them and now I hate the ones I just threw in the trash.
hi Ryan,i feel your pain.i saved most of the original tower clamps from my truck,cleaned them and re-used what i could but needed more.the repro clamps all stripped as i tightened them up.pitiful load of garbage.i guess i'll have to go to work and find some more old original clamps if i want to use them.they are a pain but i like the look.take care.Greg
Old 03-10-2022, 07:01 PM   #112
mr.mud1

today was a good day,i got everything done and time to turn the key and watch this new motor come to life,it started right up,i went through the break-in procedure as mapped out by the machine shop,checked and topped up all the fluids.it ran today for probably 1 1/2 hours total,a little more running in the next couple of days and i'll get the break-in oil out of the engine and then switch gears to get ready for a little paint work.i love when a plan comes together.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #113
mr.mud1

today i worked on getting the moldings,windowfelt and the door handles off in preparation for some paint work.the new door lock installed,door panel cleaned and all the broken clips replaced,and the A/C condensor painted and installed along with a new dryer.today i made a pattern for the patch that's going in where the gas tank neck came out through the bed side,one more to fix on the other side.hopefully tomorrow,that passenger side patch will be in,then move onto the drivers side.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2022, 07:58 AM   #114
Happy_dan

Nice, so glad cam and lifters gave you no trouble. I have been reading a lot about problems with the metal in the newer lifters. I am sure that breakin procedure included priming the oil and then running it at 2500 RPM or so for 10 minutes.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:19 AM   #115
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
Nice, so glad cam and lifters gave you no trouble. I have been reading a lot about problems with the metal in the newer lifters. I am sure that breakin procedure included priming the oil and then running it at 2500 RPM or so for 10 minutes.
hi Dan.the motor seems to be running well and sounds fine.i used a new Mellings cam,lifters and rocker arms and followed what the machine shop had recommended and used the "Driven" brand break-in oil they suggested.the breakin-in procedure was different than what i had done in the past,with using 3 heat/cool cycles and high RPM.i don't know if it helped but it sure didn't hurt.it sounds great.there are and have been for a number of years now,people having cams and lifters fail on start up by not using high zinc oil and or not following directions.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #116
Happy_dan

Great to hear Greg! It looks like a new truck and I am sure will run great.

I have just recently heard of people doing proper breakin and installation and still having problems with lifters. I remember using high Zinc Oil on mine and following directions to the tee and also having an experienced friend here for first startup and all went well. It is a great feeling to get that first startup in!
Old 03-17-2022, 06:12 PM   #117
mr.mud1

I've been working for days,not much to show for it.i made,welded in and cut out,2 panels I made for the aux gas door in the passenger side bed side.#3 went in today,just tacked in for now,i'll go back at it tomorrow.both attempts ended up not making me happy,not straight enough,so I made some changes,we'll try again.new window felts and glass channels arrived today.i'm just waiting for a new fuel strainer for the gas tank sender,i have the sender out for a new float,the original brass float wasn't "floating"i managed to tear the strainer so a new on is on the way.hopefully an update tomorrow with a gas door panel welded in and i'll be happy with it and move onto the gas door on the other side,remove all the trim,windowfelts,door handles,new door locks to install and get ready for some paint.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #118
GSFMECH
On the road

Amazing attention to detail, I'm loving this build

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:43 PM   #119
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFMECH View Post
Amazing attention to detail, I'm loving this build
thanks Mike,i appreciate the kind words,glad you're enjoying it.i wasn't enjoying today,spending hours welding in the panel on the pass side to fill in the aux gas door,for the 3rd time,only to cut it out and throw it on the floor.i thought I knew how to do this but evidently not??try again tomorrow.take care.Greg
Old 03-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #120
mr.mud1

well it's been several days since an update,not because I haven't been working on my truck,i am but not much to show for it.this auxillary gas door I wanted to eliminate since I already had removed the 2 tanks,has proven to be pretty stubborn.i welded in 4 patches,cut 3 of them out but this one is staying.i think I can live with this one.i had a horrible time trying to keep the side straight and one more on the other side to do next.a little skim of bodyman in a can,it'll look as good as I new,i hope.of course another step ahead,and 4 back.i started up the truck yesterday to put the it outside,i had a customer's car coming in and needed the lift.the engine started but the most horrible racket came out from somewhere?turns out the new starter had stayed engaged in the flexplate and it wasn't happy.i switched it off but it kept running til I disconnected the battery,it stopped then.i checked the starter clearance today,did some shimming and seems fine again but I think I may take the nose cone from my original starter and install it on the newly rebuilt starter I bought.never a dull moment?
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2022, 03:14 AM   #121
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
Never a dull moment?
Never a dull surface either! Everything on that truck is gleaming. Glad that the fuel door patches are coming together for you.
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:10 AM   #122
Richard

Awesome Progress. Had dual Aux tanks on my truck. Even with a full repaint it was a lot of work to eliminate them. Hope all goes well with the patch on your truck.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:20 AM   #123
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Never a dull surface either! Everything on that truck is gleaming. Glad that the fuel door patches are coming together for you.
thank you sir.it's been a struggle but I may win in the end,1 more side to do.hopefully I can get'er done in 1 crack,not 4??take care.Greg
Old 03-24-2022, 08:22 AM   #124
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Awesome Progress. Had dual Aux tanks on my truck. Even with a full repaint it was a lot of work to eliminate them. Hope all goes well with the patch on your truck.
hi Richard,thanks.i'm sure we'll get this figured out.i had a look at your truck,awesome work.take care,Greg
Old 03-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #125
McDeezl

Nice work on the patch Greg .... won't take much of a skim of mud at all to smooth it out. Your attention to detail is amazing but your patience is next level sir!
No doubt your vital signs must have been heading north up until you found out it was the starter. Yikes -->> phewff!