The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2022, 09:39 AM   #1
no1udknow

low oil pressure after DOD/AFM delete

Hey guys, I have an 07 avalanche with a 5.3. I recently put in a AMS racing DOD delete kit in. Stock lm7 cam, lifters, valley plate etc. Now I have low oil pressure. Just under 40psi starting cold, but after running a bit drops to about 22psi. I don't want to damage the engine, looking for suggestions. it is a 2wd so I was thinking of dropping the pan to check the pickup o-ring, but I was reading about some bypass also. I'm an experienced mechanic (motorcycles and heavy equipment) but I just havent dug into LS engines yet.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:41 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: low oil pressure after DOD/AFM delete

Not an expert LS guy but if you used the stock valley plate could you be losing oil around the 'oil towers" in the block.
I haven't done a DOD block but I believe you either have to plug the block DOD towers or use a non DOD Gen 4 valley cover that had the o-rings in the valley cover.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:00 PM   #3
garyd1961

22 psi at idle is a plenty, not going to hurt anything
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
LS short box

The LS6 in my 98 Wrangler runs about 25 psi at idle when warm. I run 10-30 Mobil 1. Been 15 years like that with no issues.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:39 PM   #5
biketopia

You're probably ok at idle, does it rise when you rev it? Like stated some people block the DOD towers when they do the delete, others just use a gen 4 valley cover and call it good. I did on the one I did and had no problems. Since you're 2x4 it's easy enough to slap a fresh o ring in the pump and check for blockage in your pick up. When you did the cam did you replace the cam retainer or re-use it. I've seen people have oil leak past the plate when re-used but usually it's a good leak and you have no oil pressure. Also, are you using a stock gauge or analog? If it hasn't been done it's a good idea to replace the OPS and the screen under it with new GM parts.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:20 PM   #6
no1udknow

Sorry I didn't reply for so long..... so I pulled the pan and replaced the o-ring on the pick up and made sure the pickup was clean. It improved pressures a bit but nothing drastic. It runs fine but no oil light coming on now. Fixed a few ulother things. Also, the kit I bought came with a non dod valley plate, but I have heard the pressure can leak past the Orings and it's better to do the rivets, but for now it runs good with safe oil pressure.
If anything I may buy a new car, and this truck may become a donor for my 70 so I'm not overly concerned 😈
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

no1..have you changed the oil pressure sender? theres a screen under it that can get clogged up..mine was, swapped it out and ive got good readings now

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote