The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2021, 12:00 AM   #1
DeadMansOhms

Random No Start?

Been having an issue for a few years now. It happens on and off.

I have a 1969 C20 with a 350 5.7l. I'm having an issue with the truck not starting somewhat randomly. Always seems to happen after I've been driving a bit and I'll stop at a store and when I come back it doesn't start. Doesn't happen after sitting over night or after working a full shift, just when I come back to it 20 mins later.

When it doesn't start, there is nothing. Lights come on, music, voltage is good. It does nothing. No clicking no nothing. I have to jump start it to get it to start and then it will start after that again just fine until another random day. Troubleshooting has been hard because I can't get it to recreate the issue at home.

I have replaced the battery, starter, alternator, negative battery cable and clamp, distributor, plugs, wires, ignition switch, neutral safety switch. I've tested and cleaned grounds and wiggled wires...idk what else to do other than replace the starter and battery again.

Any ideas? Thank you!
DeadMansOhms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:12 AM   #2
53burb

Re: Random No Start?

I believe someone ran into same issue a few years back.....replaced everything as you did.....anyways, the purple wire that energizes the starter solenoid had a bad connection or small break in it....when the wire was hot, the resistance was greater, so it did not make contact and nothing....then when it was cool, resistance was low enough that contact was made. Instead of jumping it, try a remote starter instead or "Jump" the starter....
Other guys on here are much smarter than me...so I'm sure they got better ideas…

Also, this would get more views in the "Engine" section or pickups sections, even tho it is a suburban.....
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
DeadMansOhms

That's a good idea! I'll do some more testing and see if I can find anything that looks worn. Thanks you again. And I didn't notice I posted in the wrong section. This forum isn't phone friendly. Thanks again!
DeadMansOhms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
BigBird05

When I was having random starter issues I wired in a test light to the purple wire on the starter. The light was in the cab so I could see if the starter solenoid was going voltage. In my case it was so I replaced the starter. Haven't had anymore no crank issues since.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #5
PortHeadlight

Me, too. Search "starter solenoid heat sink" and you will likely find advice to relocate the starter solenoid. I'm going to do it as soon as I can get all the pieces needed.
PortHeadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:41 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortHeadlight View Post
Me, too. Search "starter solenoid heat sink" and you will likely find advice to relocate the starter solenoid. I'm going to do it as soon as I can get all the pieces needed.

Also try "starter solenoid heat soak".

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #7
franken

Since there's an almost identical thread, I just pasted my post from the other.

There are believers in the idea that hundreds of millions of GM vehicles used the same starters and wiring and they worked, which they did, and there are those who don't.
Fix the underlying issue and the solenoid will work. Typically, the underlying issue is bad wiring and/or poor connections, or worn out (resistive) switches in the circuit.
Of course, a bandaid solution is easier than troubleshooting so it's popular.
Yes, it's a bit of a long path from the battery to the solenoid, but I've jumped solenoids with a 20G or smaller jumper, so it doesn't draw that much.

Measure voltage to the block and to the battery from the S-terminal.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote