The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2021, 12:31 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Ha - Is this the electrical I have to look forward to?

Alright man, what's going on here anyway? Bad enough I'm colored blind, though I trained my eyes to adjust for wires if I apply some effort. Yeah tans, orange, green and BS, half the time black looks brown

Anyway, so I got some elect harnesses, which is good news, pulled the easy one and compared it to the old. Now I could probably guess but that gets me into trouble, but my original harness wasn't anything like this. For what it's worth, that green wire nearest the plug is probably for my temp. sender, pretty sure the one is for HEI. If that's the sender wire it's due I'm stuck with a temp. sender on the RH head Nice adapter if that's it.

I sent this picture to the distributor, they're one of the two players. I asked for a source for common harnesses connectors and that, see what happens. Looked up the part #, came up empty.

I'm green, but I did tag all the original wiring, so okay on that end. Picked up a multimeter I don't know how to use yet, but I know a test light at least Any suggestions how to proceed testing circuits, such as perhaps an adequate battery for the task or?

If I were to assume this harness included the A/C compressor (COUGH!) any recommendations for a kit with proper connectors?

Other than that, seems to me the new harnesses aren't like the old really, perhaps an improvement. This is their "HEI Harness", passes through the firewall gutter. If that's their blower motor connect (COUGH!) for instance, the old one came through the firewall, not through the firewall gutter, same for the A/C compressor.

Suggestions always appreciated.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:40 AM   #2
87Skier

Re: Ha - Is this the electrical I have to look forward to?

1 & 2 - look like starter. Some starters will have two wires. Tape up the one you don't use.

3 - Looks like HEI distributor connector

4 - I would guess A/C but I've never looked at A/C truck wiring

5 - Could be for electric choke. Looks similar to my 80's choke setup

6 - Temp gauge

7 - Fuel gauge?

8 - Brake valve

9 - unsure what the connector is for

----------------------------

If you have a multimeter then set it to ohms on each auto or the lowest setting. You need to probe each end of the wire. Put one probe in at the main connector and the other at the other end of the wire.

It should read as less than 5 ohms, anything more indicates an issue.

You can do something similar with a test light by hooking up one end of the wire to the positive battery terminal, connecting the negative clip of the test light to the negative battery then probing the wire.

The downside is that test lights don't draw enough power to tell you if the wire will hold up to the rated current. A multimeter gives you a better indicator by telling you how much resistance is on the wire. More resistance means more your distributor, starter and AC compressor are getting less power than they should.

Besides doing a test fit there isn't anything more you need to test.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Skier View Post
1 & 2 - look like starter. Some starters will have two wires. Tape up the one you don't use.

3 - Looks like HEI distributor connector

4 - I would guess A/C but I've never looked at A/C truck wiring

5 - Could be for electric choke. Looks similar to my 80's choke setup

6 - Temp gauge

7 - Fuel gauge?

8 - Brake valve

9 - unsure what the connector is for

----------------------------

If you have a multimeter then set it to ohms on each auto or the lowest setting. You need to probe each end of the wire. Put one probe in at the main connector and the other at the other end of the wire.

It should read as less than 5 ohms, anything more indicates an issue.

You can do something similar with a test light by hooking up one end of the wire to the positive battery terminal, connecting the negative clip of the test light to the negative battery then probing the wire.

The downside is that test lights don't draw enough power to tell you if the wire will hold up to the rated current. A multimeter gives you a better indicator by telling you how much resistance is on the wire. More resistance means more your distributor, starter and AC compressor are getting less power than they should.

Besides doing a test fit there isn't anything more you need to test.
Thanks a bunch for all that & clear tips too. Some guy was telling me you can test with a 9 volt, I suppose you could but the multimeter will be great, thank you.

1 & 2 - Yep, starter,. I have the impression starters for HEI are one wire. So much for "custom" made

3 - Looks like HEI distributor connector I think so too and it would fit.

4 - I would guess A/C but I've never looked at A/C truck wiring. It probably is A/C. However the compressor takes a black flat plug for two prong with a ground terminal & dark greenish wire. Theirs is a single prong in pink or some BS Beyond that what's throwing me is the original A/C harness came through the firewall. My guess is they simplified the wiring and might be easier.

5 - Could be for electric choke. Looks similar to my 80's choke setup. I have the original mechanical choke.

6 - Temp gauge Interesting. If so that was their provision for the sender on the wrong head. Two wires on that connector, perhaps the single wire plugs into #9. If so that should work well. What are the odds their clips such as for valve cover are in the right place I'll probably pull them anyway, prefer black, the Caldwell blackening & sealant is nice for what worth.

7 - Fuel gauge? Heck I don't know. I had the same wire on the old harness that was plugged into the TCS configuration. Fuel gauge runs to the sender.

8 - Brake valve Yep

9 - unsure what the connector is for See 6
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 06-12-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

5 might be the TH400 kickdown wire. My 68 Impala had that as part of the on engine linkage. At some point, that moved to the cab as part of the in cab gas pedal setup.

9 Many vehicles from that era had an AC fuse as part of the AC wiring harness. If that is a 2 slot connector, might be for the AC fuse.

7 would be about right for an electric oil sender wire but I thought most 71s had a mechanical sender.

Where is(are) the wire(s) for the Alternator?

A lot of AC equipped vehicles had an idle solenoid that sat on the driver's side of the carb. It would be a single wire that would also tie to the AC compressor wire. When the compressor switched on, the solenoid would advance the idle speed a bit to prevent stalling.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Just got off the phone with the rep, real nice guy. Turns out these aren't custom at all, this harness serves various purposes, and they have connectors if a guy wants to install all the old stuff like TCS & idle stop.

Note: He suggests attaching #1 to the starter HEI or not. Wasn't clear to me why but what the heck, I'll attach it to the starter.

Had to edit the former image, #6 # 9 was jacked up badly YIKES! Per vendor these are......
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-15-2021 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I had to revise the image post above, what a disaster

Sure little information on TCS and that. Some information, seems to be a mix but two senders on some trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577620

Edit: From what the distributor told me #6 & #9 is for engine temperature sender, and they didn't alter the harness at all. Many opinions are the temp. gauge sender is supposed to be on the LH head. Seems to fit better with the sender on the RH head, though the wire jumps back over to the LH side on my other 402. I can't speak for correct on either truck.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-15-2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #7
starterman99

The #5 connector looks like one used on an oil pressure switch
Old 06-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I'm cutting the yellow wire to the starter unless someone talks me out of it, soon Thing is the harness distributor says connect to "R" regardless due something or another voltage. Pretty sure I mentioned this install had a mini starter, and their harness is for both HEI or points. Not sure why he'd say that, maybe he figured I was using an original starter. Seems to be the circuit is dead anyway without a starter coil, though I'm pretty green to it.

Far as I know there's no such thing as a GM mini starter with an "R" terminal, I think those came with HEI or soon after? "Points are pointless" same with a B/A starter in some opinions.

Poll, I only need one

A. Cut it & provisions
B. Put it somewhere?
C. A
Old 06-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
Getter-Done

B. bend it back , and tape it to the existing black tape.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
B. bend it back , and tape it to the existing black tape.

ThanksI'll cut the connector off, do that and call it a day. Wish I knew what kind of braided loom and high temp. tape they use on these new harnesses. The tape @ Inline Tube & loom at Summit leaves something to be desired. Oh well, I'm using it.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #11
Getter-Done

I have used something like this in the past.
It worked great.

Link: https://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo-Tec/893/18051/10002/-1

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:16 AM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
I have used something like this in the past.
It worked great.

Link: https://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo-Tec/893/18051/10002/-1

I believe this is what's on the M&H harness, though it looks brown to me in this picture, those on the harness are black. If it's the same it's real nice loom and doesn't come apart like what most of the outlets are selling. https://www.amazon.com/Pico-8213PT-F...ustomerReviews

I want to say this is like the tape on the harness, again better than common. If it's worth doing once it's worth doing twice I figure Hopefully it's what I'm looking for. The common tape is almost identical the common braided loom if a person is looking to match though. Personally I prefer the materials used on the new harness, it's nice quality. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1