The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #1
camrycurt

Stock I6 Drum/Drum Front Brake Line Routing?

Hey guys,

I need some help with the I6 brake line routing from the distribution block down to the frame crossmember. This is for a pure stock 1970 drum/drum setup, on a complete truck with a standard transmission.

I bought the InlineTube pre bent kit and am replacing a non-stock rat's nest of lines that go every which way, and can't seem to figure out how to route those two front lines. It seems like they want to fit best running down inside the frame rail to the back of the crossmember, but the clutch pivot is in the way so I can't figure it out. Do they run in front or behind of the clutch pivot, or on each side, or outside the frame? The PO ran his lines outside the frame but there is no room for the bends on the prebent lines so I don't think that's where they are supposed to go.

Anyway, pics would be great, or point me to another thread that shows this. There are a bunch of brake line routing threads but they all seemed to be "I'm doing a disc conversion what do I get" or "Just got the frame back from the powder coater and can't remember how this all goes back together" type stuff that doesn't help with my stock beater L6 rust bucket sitting in the driveway.

Thanks for the help. Stay cool, it's hot out there.

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Stock I6 Drum/Drum Front Brake Line Routing?

Mine are the original lines . No where near the clutch pivot 1968 4spd
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #3
camrycurt

Great, thanks Mark!

The bends on the Inline Tube lines don't really match those stock lines, but at least this shows that the stock routing goes down the inside of the frame forward of the clutch pivot, so now that I know the general routing I can work to make them fit.

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #4
CC69Rat

I have a 67 originally an I6 / 3ott. Original front lines are still intact (for now) engine is out. I'll take some pics for you when I get a chance. I have a build thread of the truck you might see what you need on there..

But I'll help you any way I can. I'll even part with those lines if you're interested, I'm doing 4 wheel discs and they will likely come off soon.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:09 AM   #5
Accelo

Brake Lines are the biggest hassle.

It is my understanding some lines went inside and some on the outside. Somewhat dependent on options and what factory the truck was built at. You have four wheel drives and power brake and non-power brake and the disks and drum versions.
Took me forever to get this straight. And it didn't help when I purchased two different sets of lines and neither one of them fit. One set was sold to me as "you purchase the complete set of lines and the power disk brake conversion and it will go right in". It wasn't even close. When I called the vendor he said "Well of course it doesn't with with out modifications". (The SS lines may have fit a non-power brake set up as they ended right up against the firewall.) Not even "hand-grenade" close for the power brake set up. As the cab was off when the lines were installed it was a major job to refit the lines. As in you ever attempt to do a double flare on stainless steel tubing? I never went back, to the vendor, as he knew they didn't fit from the get go and lied to me anyway. Spent well over $3000 dollars elsewhere!

This is where this group shines. So many participants are willing to help out. It was with this groups help I finally managed to get the system installed and working.
As you many have surmised this is a pet peeve of mine. Good brake line information just isn't out there.

Best of Luck
Rick
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #6
camrycurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
I have a 67 originally an I6 / 3ott. Original front lines are still intact (for now) engine is out. I'll take some pics for you when I get a chance.
Chad, my truck was also originally 3OTT so yes, I would be very interested in seeing pics of the original front line setup on your truck, if that's not too much trouble. And I would also be very interested in picking up the actual lines themselves if they indeed are surplus and you don't need them anymore. Let's talk, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
Brake Lines are the biggest hassle. It is my understanding some lines went inside and some on the outside. Somewhat dependent on options and what factory the truck was built at.
Rick, I think you're right about the wide variety of setups and I'm sure they varied even depending on the installer and his mood from truck to truck. I guess 50 years ago they figured anybody that would be replacing lines would just be bending up his own, so standardization was not really a priority.

Quote:
But I'll help you any way I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
This is where this group shines. So many participants are willing to help out. It was with this groups help I finally managed to get the system installed and working.
Yes, I agree, this is what it's all about. This forum is great and all the members are so eager to help and share knowledge and lend support and encouragement. Thanks to you both and to everyone else for all the help!

Old 07-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #7
mkmc69

Quote:
I have a 67 originally an I6 / 3ott. Original front lines are still intact (for now) engine is out. I'll take some pics for you when I get a chance. I have a build thread of the truck you might see what you need on there..

But I'll help you any way I can. I'll even part with those lines if you're interested, I'm doing 4 wheel discs and they will likely come off soon.
Can't get to your build thread on your 67. No link.
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #8
camrycurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmc69 View Post
Can't get to your build thread on your 67. No link.
Here's the link to CC69Rat's build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=812745

It's a beautiful truck and an impressive build. Crazy how I've been working on my truck off and on for 10 years now and it's still nowhere close to the shape this truck is in straight off the farm. Unbelievable.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
mkmc69

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrycurt View Post
Here's the link to CC69Rat's build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=812745

It's a beautiful truck and an impressive build. Crazy how I've been working on my truck off and on for 10 years now and it's still nowhere close to the shape this truck is in straight off the farm. Unbelievable.
Thanks for the link. That is definitely a nice, clean 67 for sure.
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote