The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 60-66

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Picture #1 is my hood release assembly.
#2 is the removal of the original hood release latch. Its rivet pin and the top plate are the piece at the top of the picture.
#3 the entire assembly disassembled.... LOL that just sounds funny to me sorry.

#4 is a 3/8 - 16 x 1/2" cap bolt that I took a 3/32 drill bit to and drilled a hole the length of the center (not so perfectly with a hand drill you guys with a drill press probably have better results) of the bolt. This will act as an adjuster for the hood release cable for when it starts to stretch, just like on a bicycle.

#5 is the backing plate that will weld onto the back side of the hood latch assembly. I drilled and tapped a 21/64" hole into it for the adjustment bolt to screw into, the 3/8 -16 nut will act as a lock for the bolt, along with a lockwasher.
This photo also shows the maximum travel distance required to release the hood, approximately 1/4" of travel.
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

#1 is the mock up of the assembly with the release cable.

#2 I drilled a 3/32" hole in the top arm of the hood catch/release pendulum for the cable to attach to, and release the hood. Hopefully my 8th grade physics schooling is still working for me and there will be enough leverage here to allow this to function.

#3 is the HELP! cable I used Part#55195 that is 12 feet long, if that turns out to be too long, I will cut to lenght and hopefully remember to come back here and edit this post with a more useful measurement. I also have the cable stops Part#03338 but have not decided how to use these just yet. More to follow on this.

#4 is my adjustment bolt and backing plate. I cut 2 grooves in the plate to assist in mounting it, and hopefully disallow any torqueing of the assembly.

#5 is a spring tension adjustment I am toying with, in this picture I used a bit of coat hanger, but in reality I would probably use a large cotter pin. It seems the tension on the hood latch spring is stronger than it needs to be. Just easing the tension the amount shown in the pic made the tension on the latch pendulum lesser enough for me to actuate it with my thumbs, and not have to use a lever (screw driver ....)
Since I am not sure just how much of this tension is required to keep the hood secured this is not a set part of this modification.

I urge anyone doing this mod to proceed with caution and do not omit the secondary safety hood catch.
I had a truck hood come up at me at 55mph one day.
It is definately one of lifes bigger scrotum checks !!
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
Closed Thread