The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
BirdDoggin

74 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4

Finally got something with enough muscle to get the flatbed off. That thing weighs at least 2000lbs. Does anyone know it you can put disc brakes on the rear?
Attached Images

BirdDoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
cletis

Re: 74 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4

Some one may have better info on here. Use front backing plates shimmed and use front calipers, will need to change master to get proper performance. (that's the cheap way)
cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
ghettoluxury

You can get brackets from Ruff Stuff Specialties for your rear disc conversion for $60 shipped to your door, they are pre-bent and are direct bolt on. Pick up a set of front discs and calipers for your truck, or you can use 76 Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers is you still want an E-brake.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
BirdDoggin

Snapped sum quick shots of the 327 before it started storming. Finally RAIN!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
BirdDoggin

Well its been a while since ive posted. Ive been trying to sort out the cluster **** of wiring that the PO had thrown together. Found a few wiring diagrams on here that helped. Had me puzzled as to how I drove it an hour from where I bought it, parked it, and then nothing! After re-routing some of the wires that were wrong, and testing with the meter I think the starter is gone. Straight wired the starter and touched it off on the battery, click,click,click. The PO had just put a new starter on, said it would act up when it got hot so he wrapped it with heat shield. I think that just added to the problem. What does it sound like to you guys?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
McMurray76

I'd say you are on the right track. Sounds like the starter hanging up.
McMurray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
BirdDoggin

Well pulled the numbers off the block, 3956618. Looked it up, said its a 69' 327, 2 bolt main, out of a fullsize. It also has the "double hump" heads on it, and a edlebrock performer intake.

Do any of you guys know where I can get a wiring diagram for a 327 or a small block, im sure they are all pretty much the same? I am going to replace all the motor wiring before going any farther. There are wire nuts all over the place, and its just a mess!

I had replaced the solenoid on the what looked to be new starter in hopes that was the problem, but after testing it still nothing. Going to invest in a new one, any thoughts on the best one? Are the mini-starters worth the money?

I have been toying with the idea of pulling the motor and building it this winter. Im wanting to get as much torque and throttle response as i can get out of this 327, since it is going back in a truck, and will be used for off-road. Any input from someone whos dealt with these 327's before would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Your41Plague12

I can speak for the high-torque mini starters. They seem to work well on engines with headers, I've never had a problem with heat affecting them. They crank nicely too, well worth the money if you ask me. The wiring setup for the 327 will be the same for any small block, so just find a wiring diagram for a truck with a 350 and you should be good to go.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
BirdDoggin

Sorry its been a while since ive posted, but have been able to get alot of work done.
Am rebuilding the rear axle and have a ques? Have removed the hub from the drum, and removed snap ring for the outer wheel bearing. But the bearing still will not come out? Do you have give it a hit with a seal driver to get it out? I know it wont come out the front so its got to come out the back...
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
BirdDoggin

Finally got around to posting an update. I have been plugging along slowly but surely. Finished up the wheel bearings and hubs, got new rotors, drums, calipers, wheel studs and nuts. Also have been cleaning up the wiring the PO had rigged up. Finally got those valve covers to shine up.

Fixing to order some new leaf springs for the front. The PO had put some together himself and theres not even the same number of leafs on each side. Thinking about Tuff Country's but am undecided about the lift height? It has a 4in block in the back, but the tuff country springs are only 4 leafs, and there 5 on one side and 6 on the other now. So im wondering if I need to go with the 6in lift springs rather than the 4in.

Any info you guys have on this would be much appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
Dieselholic92

the motor definitely looks much better!