The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
BoredJoe

Help finding some nice black wheels for a 83'?

Hey everyone, thought yall might be able to help me out. ive been looking for some black wheels to black out my C10 ive been fixing up. Its a 1983 2wd and everyone goes with the american racing, crager, or boss wheels on the old chevy's. They look good but i want mine to be different. Im wanting to put on 17 or 18" wheels and would like to lower my truck about 2 in in the future and have no problem with the wheels. The Boss 338 wheels look amazing but i am not sure about the fitmit issues and to me they look like every other wheel seen on this model truck around here. I know alot of you will be against this but ive been thinking about putting KMC Rockstars http://media.photobucket.com/image/k.../Rock_Star.jpgon it just to make it different and stand out but Im afraid they may not look right, what do yall think about that wheel. Anyway if someone has some pictures or suggestions of some black wheels in 17 " to 18 " that will fit i would appreciate the help, even some affordable manufacture i could look at would be nice. I like 5 spoke wheels the best, perferably with alittle bit of a lip.
Thanks Joe, I Inserted pictures of my truck before and after hope it works, i just got it painted black a few months ago.

BoredJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
erikgto

Re: Help finding some nice black wheels for a 83'?

I'm sure the KMC Rockstars will rock on your truck especially if you drop it a little

I saw a pic of a satin black C20 CrewCab Dually with the dually Rockstars and it looked really cool and especially very different from the usual stuff.
Don't know where I saw that pic tho.....

Either here or while browsing the C10 forum.

Good luck with it!!!

Erik
1970 Pontiac Bonneville 455 convertible

Last edited by erikgto; 12-26-2010 at 05:28 AM.
erikgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
bucannon
Salty Sailor

the rockstars look awsome

Savannah, Georgia
bucannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
blazn79

Definitly black COY C-5's or BOSS 338's!
blazn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
muthstryker

Everyone and their mother does the Rockstars.. and they only look good in 20"+ IMO. Your truck would look sweet with them if they were 20s and it was lowered just enough to close up the wheel gap.

Here are a few that would look alright..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ALE-875-88550/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-18189050612N/

I know these are 20s but they would look great on your truck

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEW-3352-2850/
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
BoredJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthstryker View Post
Everyone and their mother does the Rockstars.. and they only look good in 20"+ IMO. Your truck would look sweet with them if they were 20s and it was lowered just enough to close up the wheel gap.

Here are a few that would look alright..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ALE-875-88550/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-18189050612N/

I know these are 20s but they would look great on your truck

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEW-3352-2850/
Yes everyone and their mother does rockstars but i have never seen another lowered c10 with them anywhere, on the internet or around my area. Anyone got an actually picture of a lowered or stock c10 running rockstars? Both of the wheels you had links to looked great and so did the 20's, thanks now i have some more to consider as i save up the cash lol. Thanks for the feedback im glad most of you liked the rockstar look and that photoshoped pic helped me visualize it alittle better. Any other suggestions and BTW what is the outcome on the boss 338 fitmit issues, ive seen alot about it but cant figure out what the deal is? Thanks for the replies guys keep the suggestions coming this is helping me out alot.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #8
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredJoe View Post
Yes everyone and their mother does rockstars but i have never seen another lowered c10 with them anywhere, on the internet or around my area. Anyone got an actually picture of a lowered or stock c10 running rockstars? Both of the wheels you had links to looked great and so did the 20's, thanks now i have some more to consider as i save up the cash lol. Thanks for the feedback im glad most of you liked the rockstar look and that photoshoped pic helped me visualize it alittle better. Any other suggestions and BTW what is the outcome on the boss 338 fitmit issues, ive seen alot about it but cant figure out what the deal is? Thanks for the replies guys keep the suggestions coming this is helping me out alot.
The problem is the hub hole on the front wheels, the way it tappers compared to the actual hub. If you have light duty 1" Rotors the wheels will bolt right on, If you have the heavy duty 1 3/4" Rotors, you need to grind down the hub a little for clearance so the wheel will slide on.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #9
BoredJoe

Quote:
The problem is the hub hole on the front wheels, the way it tappers compared to the actual hub. If you have light duty 1" Rotors the wheels will bolt right on, If you have the heavy duty 1 3/4" Rotors, you need to grind down the hub a little for clearance so the wheel will slide on.
So the back is fine its just in the front? what BS is needed for 18" Boss 338's. Id like to keep them under the fender just alittle.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:50 AM   #10
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredJoe View Post
So the back is fine its just in the front? what BS is needed for 18" Boss 338's. Id like to keep them under the fender just alittle.
For the rear I would say around 5"s, For the front about 5.5"s. If they have those back spacing sizes available.

Yes the back will bolt right on.

Last edited by muthstryker; 12-27-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
.... If you have light duty 1" Rotors the wheels will bolt right on, If you have the heavy duty 1 3/4" Rotors, you need to grind down the hub a little for clearance so the wheel will slide on.
I'm sure he meant to say 1 1/4". I agree the 20" Rockstars would look sweet. I have seen them on several later model 2wd trucks around here, but no 73-87s yet.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
muthstryker

Whoops, thanks for catching that.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
BoredJoe

Well i havnt been on in a while but i recently started a new job and im saving up hoping to buy some wheels soon i think ive settled on rockstars now but im not sure on backspacing and offset, what do i need to do about that on a 20 inch rockstar and is it the same if i buy 18 inch rockstars. I want them under the fender not sticking out any and im not sure about the BS and offset. Also will it change if i decide on 9in wide or 10in wide. From what ive read im thinking 5 or 5.5 BS is what i need but what about offset. Thanks for the help guys im excited about getting these.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
muthstryker

As far as backspacing, a 5.5" Front and 5" Rear would be ideal. I just looked at the Rockstar offsets.

20x8.5 with a +10 offset = 5.14 Backspace

They do have a 20x10, but the offset is -24 which equals out to a 4.55" backspace.

If you wanted to you might beable to get away with the staggered sizes as long as you only stuck with your 2" drop.

So if you want to get the 20s, your best option would be a 20x8.5" with a +10 offset. You wouldnt run into any problems anywhere and you would beable to rotate all 4 tires.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
BoredJoe

Thanks muthstryker! i wish i had a place around here that i could see the wheels on my truck before i bought them, unfortunatly thats not an option lol. Just curious but would i need the +10 offset with an 18in wheel as well? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #16
muthstryker

They dont even list a +10 offset in that wheel on the website, They have it listed at 0. Its a 9inch wheel so that would be be 4.5"s of backspace, up front, thats really close to being flush with the body. Out back will work just fine, just personal preference