The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2022, 07:15 PM   #1
wsurf4me

Tilt Column Help

On my new to me 71 the previous owner installed a LMC tilt column. The whole upper bowl twists a few degrees, seems like it's loose and getting worse. When you cycle thru park to drive the bowl twists and makes it hard to get into the proper gear. If I hold the bowl while cycling everything works much better. Are there bolts buried deep down inside? If so is there anything that shows how to take it apart?
Old 01-27-2022, 08:56 AM   #2
BrentBTK

Re: Tilt Column Help

Does the whole column twist? Mine was difficult to shift and wouldn't go into 1st, and it turned out the bracket that holds the column under the hood against the firewall was loose, allowing the column to twist when I tried to shift. The linkage rod under the hood needed to be adjusted as well. Once I locked both those down, everything worked fine. Hope that helps, probably not, lol.
BrentBTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:47 PM   #3
wsurf4me

Re: Tilt Column Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBTK View Post
Does the whole column twist? Mine was difficult to shift and wouldn't go into 1st, and it turned out the bracket that holds the column under the hood against the firewall was loose, allowing the column to twist when I tried to shift. The linkage rod under the hood needed to be adjusted as well. Once I locked both those down, everything worked fine. Hope that helps, probably not, lol.
Thanks for the reply, the column itself is solid. The lower bowl that attaches to the column is sloppy. When you try to shift the bowl is loose enough that it makes it tough to get in the right gear. For now I just count the clicks if that makes sense. I'm assuming there are some bolts deep down inside that are loose?