The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2022, 08:21 PM   #1
Peanut74

Windsheild Install OOHH my!!!

Well I called the local shops and none of them will install my windshield. One just never bothered to contact me after I made two visits to their shop and the second just flat out said no because I want the chrome trim. So it looks like I am going to swing for the fence and put it in myself with some help from my son in-law.

So from what I understand I need to do the following:
1 - Warm up the new gasket
2 - Put the gasket on the windshield
3 - Put the pull rope in gasket with the excess at the middle top of the glass
4 - Flip glass over and install the chrome trim and use painters tape to hold the trim in place. Strips of tape going from the outside of the windshield over the trim and gasket to the backside of the windshield.
5 - Using soapy water lube up the gasket areas that come in contact with the cabs pinch well.
6 - Set the windshield in the opening top first and make sure the glass in setting in the opening.
7 - Start pulling the gasket over the pinch well from the top middle. Going 6-8" each way working your way around the windshield. Outside person keeping an eye on the trim to make sure it don't pop out.

If I missed any steps please let me know. Thanks
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:43 PM   #2
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Windsheild Install OOHH my!!!

I would watch these ... then pray to baby Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOXTbtjq_mc&t=1245s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:10 PM   #3
Peanut74

I have been watching any videos I can find. Thought it was interesting the one TV host said he rated it as a 4 out of 5. At the end of the show he changed to 5 out of 5 so that does not inspire confidence.

One question is if I need to put gasket sealer on the gasket before I try to set it?
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
Old 01-24-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
rockyrivermark

There are a ton of posts here on this subject.
I consider myself a pretty resourceful person with a decent skill set but that window trim install has beaten me so far
Restored my C10 from a pile of crap to something pretty darn nice in 4 months nights/weekends doing every piece of it myself.
But I could not get that darn trim to work and attempted it 3 times now. First trim was oem and damaged on first attempt. Currently my glass is installed without trim and it drives me a little nuts when I look at it.
I’m picking up new oem trim this winter to attempt again.
Install without trim not fun but certainly manageable.
Aftermarket trim is just about impossible.
I do have an aftermarket windshield so not sure how much that plays into it.
One post here says lather that gasket up with KY jelly to help it move on install. Weird but I’ll try that next time.
Others here say theirs went it no problem but I wasn’t that fortunate
Best was when the show Fantom Works did one on a K20 and broke the glass. Then when they got it installed it was without trim so we are not alone.
I restored a ‘67 cougar last winter which was a basket case. But! The new windshield and trim went in like a dream. Trim sets in clips unlike our trucks.
The fact that the trim is part of the gasket and on a ‘69-‘70 actually has a leg that goes behind the glass makes it more difficult.
I hope it goes good for you!
Mark
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by rockyrivermark; 01-24-2022 at 09:29 PM.
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:41 PM   #5
Peanut74

Yes, this looks like it will be quite the adventure. I have been reading all the threads I can find on installing it. I did find out there are two different trims and the difference if in the length of the leg that goes into the gasket. The only common theme is that it is a PITA if you have trim.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
Old 01-24-2022, 09:45 PM   #6
garyd1961

The best advice I have seen is to reuse the old rubber if at all possible. Soak it in soapy water a day or so before installing. I have been putting this off for a while myself. I have a really nice oem windshield but hate to open a can of worms.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:10 PM   #7
burnin oil

I never tried it but have seen use baby oil on an old gasket to rejuvenate. Maybe an old hand can add to this. I never had the occasion to try since the gasket was usually 20 years past trashed. On a positive note, usually a try At a windshield is a success other than the pain. If you can't find a commercial installer check the junkyards. Usually they know someone who works cheap.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:26 PM   #8
Mike C

Truly wrestling a gorilla. We did the install on my kid’s Jimmy. His truck had the chrome trim and we wanted to keep it. Ordered a new Precision gasket. We wrestled, wrangled, pushed, pulled, taped and cursed for a good long time. We had bought a ‘69 donor truck for the front clip and it also had the chrome trim. What I learned from that is there are two different lengths of the tab on the back that fits the trim and the gasket they sent us was for the ‘69 trim and NOT the ‘72 trim. Once we decided to use the other trim, we were able to get it installed. It was still a fight, but we did it.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:17 PM   #9
Larry S

I fought with new windshield and new rubber this past weekend with no sucess and mine has no chrome. Tore the new seal. So now waiting on another seal. Not sure if I will attempt again or try to farm it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:58 PM   #10
saxart

Two things helped me when we installed the used windshield in my '70.

The first was watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To

The second is when a 3rd friend happened to show up unannounced on the morning we were installing it. He saw that we had the top of the windshield in place but we were struggling to get the bottom in. He had watched someone install one of these type of windshields and knew that it took quite a bit of force to get the window up high enough so the bottom would fit.

His "force" was to smack the windshield pretty hard with an open hand with an upward motion. Imagine if you were trying to smack a bug and smear it upward in one motion. Most of his force was in the upward direction. He hit that windshield pretty hard. I thought he was going to crack it, but it slowly started moving upward with every hit.

Keep in mind, this was with an older "thick" windshield, not the thinner ones that are sold today. YMMV....
Old 01-25-2022, 12:02 AM   #11
jumpsoffrock

I wonder how they did this at the factory, when they didn't have the time for cussing and shouting and walking way because they had to assemble 100 trucks a day???

I am so surprised with how many of these trucks were built and are still on the road--how hard it is to get a windshield changed.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:18 AM   #12
mr.mud1

i had a new windshield installed in my 72 truck at the local glass place last fall and brought a new rubber in case the original wasn't in good enough shape.when i got there,the installer was watching an install video on you-tube university??that didn't instill alot of confidence??they said the original rubber was in great shape,they had the glass out in about 5 minutes,went to put the original rubber with the trim intact on the new glass,the trim fell out of the rubber so they put all the trim in the new rubber and went ahead and installed it.the results were awful.i did see them "slapping" the windhield but i wasn't happy, the trim fit terrible,an awful mess so i went back to complain,showed the owner what i wasn't happy with and had the original rubber in my hand all cleaned up and appeared to be in perfect shape.they took the glass back out,installed the original rubber on the glass and it came looking great.the owner of the shop did it.i don't know how much difference it made having the owner doing the install or if the difference was the rubber,but i'd say,if you can use or re-use an original gasket,you'll be farther ahead?at least that's what it looked like on my truck.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:52 AM   #13
TALLone71

my son and I installed the windshield and back glass in the 71, a couple of months ago, its a plain no trim truck, and I agree, getting the glass and rubber tucked into the top was pretty critical!..we kept forcing and tapping upward as we went, as gently as possible, and pulling and working the lower corners in was pretty tight, but patience paid off, I used the flat winshield stick quite a bit to help work the seal in, as I went, I used the precision rubber seals, on both the windshield and back glass, both fit perfect, and a bottle of soapy water was a big help, after installing the windshield, our confidence and feel we had for it, made the back window go pretty quick, I got the install rope, and windshield install stick tool from lmc, good luck!..it sounds like your prepared, I really think patience pays
TALLone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:30 AM   #14
BigBird05

When I saw an add for a OEM seal I bought it. I don't know how long it will be befor I need it, but I didn't wait when I saw one advertised.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #15
tim_mc

I had my local windshield shop replace mine. They reused the original gasket, but mentioned that there were a few spots that needed sealer. While driving in the rain I get a few wet streaks from leaks along the top. I have a new aftermarket gasket, but hesitant to have it replaced. Any thoughts on how to seal up leaks without replacing the gasket?
Old 01-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #16
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TALLone71 View Post
my son and I installed the windshield and back glass in the 71, a couple of months ago, its a plain no trim truck, and I agree, getting the glass and rubber tucked into the top was pretty critical!..we kept forcing and tapping upward as we went, as gently as possible, and pulling and working the lower corners in was pretty tight, but patience paid off, I used the flat winshield stick quite a bit to help work the seal in, as I went, I used the precision rubber seals, on both the windshield and back glass, both fit perfect, and a bottle of soapy water was a big help, after installing the windshield, our confidence and feel we had for it, made the back window go pretty quick, I got the install rope, and windshield install stick tool from lmc, good luck!..it sounds like your prepared, I really think patience pays
I had similar results on the back window. apporx 1/2 hour by myself and thought cool the windshield should go equally well.. wasn't the case of course.
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #17
Peanut74

Yes, the Precesuon gasket video is the best one. It gives a lot more details than the ones from LMC and Brothers. Just trying to figure out why he runs his tool between the glass and the gasket.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
Old 01-25-2022, 10:12 AM   #18
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
I wonder how they did this at the factory, when they didn't have the time for cussing and shouting and walking way because they had to assemble 100 trucks a day???
It’s an art. I worked in an auto factory for 30 years. They were set using those suction cup handles, and then hit with a rubber mallet all around the sides of the glass. Over the course of years, a robot would set the glass, but someone still used the rubber mallet to hit the glass. And yes, there were times that they hit in the wrong place, breaking the windshield. I’ll see if I can find a video online.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:44 AM   #19
Accelo

runs his tool between the glass and the gasket.

Without a close up it would be difficult to video. Its to get the gasket to set down in correctly. Typically used right after pulling the rope out. Or to put it another way right where the rope was just pulled from.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Windsheild weatherstrip.pdf (113.0 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by Accelo; 01-25-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #20
tutone

I have walked (drove) away from several shops over the years around here that broke brand new windshields trying to put them in for me. So I never really had any luck myself. Williams Auto Glass in Murray Ky is the best I ever laid eyes on. He has done my last 4 or 5 installs and without a hitch. I don't know what I will do when he hangs it up. Guess I will learn. I know a few people that had good luck themselves, but it is a lost art.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:11 PM   #21
Wrenchbender Ret

I had an old timer do mine. I bought the new gasket & windshield. I got the gasket from Steele Rubber. He was amazed how much better & easier the install was then with the cheaper gaskets. It cost about 3 times what the one at LMC was, but worth it.
I have had guys complement how nice it fit at car shows.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:52 PM   #22
67chevemall

Subscribed.
I was happy to see the trim still around the window when it showed up....now not so much
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #23
A.Delaney

Well this thread cured me of ever wanting to remove my windshield.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #24
fun in dirt

Total PITA, but we did it ourselves. I highly recommend getting a jug of RuGlyde from NAPA to use between the rubber & cab lip to help it all slide into position easier.
Attached Images

'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:39 PM   #25
Peanut74

Another question. The videos do not show any sealant being applied to the gasket. However, the Steele pdf sheet say to apply bedding compound before installing the glass. So which is correct? If it needs the bedding compound where does everyone run the bead?
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"