The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Gumby

Ok forget paperless statements

Ok forget paperless statements, I can't prove they did it on purpose and I should pay closer attention but progressive got me good, they didn't email or text me for over a month, I got busy and didn't notice, but they did email me today to say your canceled and you own us $35 for that.

So much for all that Diamond membership bs for being a customer for over 10years, tis the season to be greedy. As what they want is access to my account for automatic payments, not gonna happen.

"The system says it emailed you but if you set up automatic payments today, oh we texted you but if you set up automatic payments today"

back to paper statements on their dime, USPS needs the work anyways.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
BB72CHEVKT

Re: Ok forget paperless statements

It will actually be on your dime. The paperless option is a discount.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
MadManAndrew

Yeah, paperless with my bank drives me nuts. They make my money dissapear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Billett

I thought about going paperless and saving all of the emails in PDF on an external hard drive. Haven't made the swap yet. I really haven't been banking that long, but something about having a binder full of records makes me feel better...
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
pritch

I had a bad expierence with Progressive a while back. I'll never go back with them again. It wasn't over a wreck or anything, but with them having their hand in my bank account. I'll never sign up for automatic payments like that again. It's a deal-breaker for me, and Progressive is the reason why.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I signed up with Dish network TV 12 years ago. First they screwed up the billing, multiple times in multiple ways. Then they wanted my banking info for automatic payments. They didn't get it. I still receive a bill in the mail each month, which I pay by check. Costs me a stamp but it keeps Dish out of my bank account.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I receive all bills in the mail because I'm cursed with foresight. I don't ever want the postal system to fail,I do not trust a paperless system,I never want to 100% rely on "having to have a running computer & paid internet service,I don't like automatic payments and only use it for Vonage and when I closed my credit cards when my wife left I agreed to 60 automatic payments/no interest.
Paperless is BS anyway. These offices use more paper than you or I ever could. Computers use electricity,are made of plastic,and those companies waste more energy and resources than we ever could. The whole "green" thing is a BS way to create the illusion they actually care to appease the public. I get at least one extra piece of paper in every bill and they say they want to save paper. Even when you can,you have to listen to a recording first say you can take care of everything online. "Well,I chose the phone,thank you! And,it's every bit as green as using the computer...if not more so. So get a human on here so I can talk to them!!" It's all total BS because what they really want to do is go to online-only so they can lay thousands of people off,sell off real estate,stop paying property taxes/property up keep/employees benefits,and multiply profit margins when they are already the richest industry in the world...richer than banks. Rant off

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Hey Tim, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Chevrolado

I highly encourage setting up a monthly budget at the start of each month. With the budget setup, I know I have certain bills to pay, whether the statement comes or not. So I'm usually always looking at how much I owe online before it ever actually comes to me in an email. Then the paperless option just means I'm cutting down on how often I have to pull junk from the mailbox.

I agree with you on the automatic payment junk though. That's just an accident waiting to happen. "Yes, I give you permission to take money from me whenever you want." I know a few people that have had accidental double automatic payments taken and then end up over-drafted in their accounts and screwed on re-reimbursement of overdraft fees.

I spent far too many years wondering where my money was going and why I couldn't pay my bills when the statements came.. Turns out I just needed to setup a budget so I was already accounting for spending that money beforehand. Then you know full well it's there every month and it's just a matter of paying it when the income comes in.

Hopefully you can come up with a way to keep yourself on top of the bills! It's no fun to be behind and paying late fees and all that junk they stick you with. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
leddzepp

Paperless is great. I like receiving less junk in the mail.

However, I will never set up automatic payments that come directly out of my bank account. That's just crazy talk.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I do have one autopayment..... when I retired I took that option to pay my monthly share of our healthcare premium. Didn't want the chance of failing to send a check for something that critical, then get cancelled for lack of payment. Yes, I know there's still a possibility of error, but it won't be because I forgot.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
pritch

All my mail goes into a drawer. At the end of the month I take it all out, pay the bills and burn the rest. Hardest part was getting all my creditors used to getting paid at the end of the month.
Ol' Green
Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #13
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I receive all bills in the mail because I'm cursed with foresight. I don't ever want the postal system to fail,I do not trust a paperless system,I never want to 100% rely on "having to have a running computer & paid internet service,I don't like automatic payments and only use it for Vonage and when I closed my credit cards when my wife left I agreed to 60 automatic payments/no interest.
Paperless is BS anyway. These offices use more paper than you or I ever could. Computers use electricity,are made of plastic,and those companies waste more energy and resources than we ever could. The whole "green" thing is a BS way to create the illusion they actually care to appease the public. I get at least one extra piece of paper in every bill and they say they want to save paper. Even when you can,you have to listen to a recording first say you can take care of everything online. "Well,I chose the phone,thank you! And,it's every bit as green as using the computer...if not more so. So get a human on here so I can talk to them!!" It's all total BS because what they really want to do is go to online-only so they can lay thousands of people off,sell off real estate,stop paying property taxes/property up keep/employees benefits,and multiply profit margins when they are already the richest industry in the world...richer than banks. Rant off
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Paperless is great. I like receiving less junk in the mail.

However, I will never set up automatic payments that come directly out of my bank account. That's just crazy talk.
Yes. Yes. Yes.

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

2002 Chevy Trailblazer LS 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
....wear your adult diaper when you go out to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I am tard.
Do, or do not, there is no try
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Junk in the mail is no different than junk in my e-mail,the way I see it. You just can't get away!!!
Budgeting is great if you receive a consistent salary on a consistent time table...like X amount of dollars every Friday. But,when you are self-employed and make this much on this 1/2 day job and that much on two weeks job there,then nothing for this amount of time,and have to put money out to produce your income in various amounts per each various job,it's about impossible to budget. Basically you knock down what you can when you can and constantly try to get back to zero. The money in your account is never all yours. 30+ years ago when I was an employee I budgeted. On bigger monthly stuff like a truck payment or rent,I'd set aside 1/3 every week so I could make a payment every third week and pay off early or create slack in case something happened. All that went out the window when I became self-employed. I still pay off early,but not by budget,just a natural sense of judgement to pay all I can when I can.
On vehicle insurance,my daily driver I get billed every 6 months and I pay it all if I can. If not,I do the quarterly (2 installments),but never monthly. That's 12 times a year to chance lapse. My classic I pay it all (every 6 mo) and my bike is annual,that I pay in full. Insurance is one of those things I want paid and done. Years ago,I had a payment not make it in the mail on time with 5 days allowed. If the company would have given a courtesy call when it didn't arrive I could have grabbed a new policy that day locally. But no,they just send it back but it never arrived. I never checked my account and didn't realize it wasn't paid until I didn't receive my registration renewal. I went about 6 months uninsured and had to pay big time fines! So,I'll never take it for granted again.Mail/e-mail,neither are 100% reliable. I have it on my calender and follow up if I don't receive a bill about a month before it's due.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #15
SLOW POKE

I know its not an option for everyone, but we paid our insurance monthly until April of 2009 or 2010. From that point on we used our income tax money to pay it in full for the whole year. No worries, and a pretty good discount for paying the whole year in advance. Helps to not have that payment monthly when your on a budget!!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I won't deal with Progressive just because of the CEO's close friendship with George Soros.
But, on a side note; Progressive's plug-in Snap Shot thingy. What the heck is that? They spy on your driving habits through your On-board diagnostics?
I'm not a conspiracy theory nut, but that's getting a little close to Big-Brother ain't it?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Progressive's plug-in Snap Shot thingy. What the heck is that? They spy on your driving habits through your On-board diagnostics?
I'm not a conspiracy theory nut, but that's getting a little close to Big-Brother ain't it?
Yes it is.... and yes it is.

Upside is (this is their selling point of course) you could be blessed with lower rates.

Downside is you could be cursed with higher rates.

I prefer not having a faceless entity decide whether my heavy throttle foot, required to safely pass another vehicle, was an unsafe or dangerous act. Ditto for swerving to miss a deer or to avoid a collision with someone who crossed into my lane. Or heavy braking so I don't run over the dog that just darted in front of me. Not to mention maintaining pace with traffic that happens to be going a bit above the posted limit.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
muddstir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOW POKE View Post
I know its not an option for everyone, but we paid our insurance monthly until April of 2009 or 2010. From that point on we used our income tax money to pay it in full for the whole year. No worries, and a pretty good discount for paying the whole year in advance. Helps to not have that payment monthly when your on a budget!!
Thats what I do to, and now I make the wife do it to, makes one less bill each month
1997 chevy cavalier =daily driver
1998 chevy cavalier -full coverage plan
2007 kawasaki vulcan 900 - garage ornament
muddstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
...I can't prove they did it on purpose and I should pay closer attention but progressive got me good...
Nothing was done on purpose. It's your responsibility to maintain and monitor all of your accounts.

It's unfortunate they dropped you after one missed payment. My state farm agent told me that if you have a long history of good payments with them they give a 60 day grace period... you get a 30 day late payment notice with another 30 days to pay up.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #20
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
But, on a side note; Progressive's plug-in Snap Shot thingy. What the heck is that? They spy on your driving habits through your On-board diagnostics?
I laugh about that thing every time that commercial. It would blow ol' Flo's cool if I ever plugged one of those into my car. They'd drop me like a hot rock
Ol' Green