The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
Tony71c10

Rear brake drum question

So I got a 10 bolt rearend for my 84 with a posi installed on my truck. When I went to put the lug nuts I notice the studs where metric. I tried a lugnut out of my Obs and it fit perfect. I also tried to use the drums from my original l rear end but they would not fit due to the hole being too small. Bd88190 is the number on the brake drum but can't find out same match or cross reference. I figured I can maybe drill the hole bigger if I can't find a pair. Not sure if this is the right way of doing it. Or change the studs to standard but that might be too much for me to try on my own.
Tony71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Rear brake drum question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony71c10 View Post
So I got a 10 bolt rearend for my 84 with a posi installed on my truck. When I went to put the lug nuts I notice the studs where metric. I tried a lugnut out of my Obs and it fit perfect. I also tried to use the drums from my original l rear end but they would not fit due to the hole being too small. Bd88190 is the number on the brake drum but can't find out same match or cross reference. I figured I can maybe drill the hole bigger if I can't find a pair. Not sure if this is the right way of doing it. Or change the studs to standard but that might be too much for me to try on my own.
Check to see if an OBS drum fits.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
Tony71c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Check to see if an OBS drum fits.
Looks like the obs are 10in and the ones I have are 11.
Drum say DA 11.09 max
Old 11-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony71c10 View Post
Looks like the obs are 10in and the ones I have are 11.
Drum say DA 11.09 max
Well heck, I was hoping it was going to be easy.

I hate when you have to modify a wearable item to fit something (you should be able to service something easily). I'm curious if this axle was built up possibly & using aftermarket axles?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
REDROCKER652002

Stupid question, but can't you just drill out the holes a little to make them fit?
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
Stupid question, but can't you just drill out the holes a little to make them fit?
Sure he could. But, he shouldn't have to do that & if the truck ever passes on to someone else, it's a hassle for them come service time.

I'm just trying to help him figure out if they simply put new metric studs in place instead of SAE or if something was changed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Tony71c10

Quote:
Sure he could. But, he shouldn't have to do that & if the truck ever passes on to someone else, it's a hassle for them come service time.

I'm just trying to help him figure out if they simply put new metric studs in place instead of SAE or if something was changed.
I just hate buying new things and having to modify them to fit. Afraid they'll get damage while adapting them. I tried looking up the part# BD88190 but can't find any matches
Old 11-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #8
REDROCKER652002

Quote:

You are quite right, and I meant no disrespect. Just got done trying to put front brakes on my son's not knowing the old owner had put 72 rotors, calipers and bearings on it. So, I completely understand. Sorry if my post was a bit snarky.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
You are quite right, and I meant no disrespect. Just got done trying to put front brakes on my son's not knowing the old owner had put 72 rotors, calipers and bearings on it. So, I completely understand. Sorry if my post was a bit snarky.
It was not taken that way so all is good for me.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Rich84

A lot can change on these trucks as they get passed on.
I had an 88 and up posi (30spline) fall in my lap. So I had to get axles to match, which came with metric studs. I also had to get a deeper drum because they were about 5/16 longer (Buick Roadmaster).
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote