The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
sic68

swb stactic vs lwb airbag

Hi guys, I am new to the c10 world. I recently bought a 68 c10 from a member in California. Its fully bagged lwb. I also have a line on a 72 swb static dropped. I want a cruiser something I can take to car shows and drive and enjoy every now and then. What would be the best for driving

Here is a link to the 68 I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151173596312...TQ:MOTORS:1123

Here is the link to the 72 I want to replace the 68 for
http://www.bmotors.us/vehicle-detail...oor+truck.html
sic68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Oly72C20

Re: swb stactic vs lwb airbag

My humble opinion, and again just has to be your ultimate decision to make YOU happy, but I say keep the 68 that you already bought. The 72 seems steep to me price for how it is sitting. Granted I can't see everything on the 68 by the picture, but it looks great from the picture you provided. May I ask why you're considering the 72 and selling the 68, especially when you just got it?

Both would be fun. Also, welcome from the PNW!

Joe
Oly72C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
mixermike

I may be a little biased but I think the long box will be a lot more comfortable drive. I REALLY LIKE YOUR TRUCK.we bagged this truck last year and it is our most comfortable truck.
mixermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Hawghauler

Wow, you got a great price for that '68! It's obvious that someone put lots of $$$'s in that beauty. I'm not as impressed with the '72. I couldn't help noticing that you don't have any heater controls in the '68. I have to assume they're hidden. I don't think I could make that change myself. I tend to prefer the slant noses anyway. You could make some changes to the '68 instead of replacing it. Like some tires on those wheels instead of rubber bands. But you got such a great price, you have lots of room for making improvements to your truck to make it what you really want. You could have the bed shortened, change the suspension, pretty much anything you wanted to do, and still sell the '68 for a profit. I'd pass on the '72. Just my opinion.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Oly72C20

Plus if you're concerned about ride quality with the truck being bagged, as long as it was a quality job with good parts, it should ride as well or better than static. Plus now you have the benefit of push button adjustments! The long wheel base will also give a smoother ride for cruising.

Joe
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
sic68

The 68 has no heater. The deleted it for looks to smooth out the firewall. My main concern is airlines freezing in winter.. the truck has been in magazine and was built by sic motorsports out of California.

Last edited by sic68; 02-09-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: dd
Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Oly72C20

Mixermike, that truck is amazing! Hope to see it at a show or gtg in the future being down in Oly...

Now, sorry for the momentary thread jack.... Back to the previous discussion!!!

Joe
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
sic68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixermike View Post
I may be a little biased but I think the long box will be a lot more comfortable drive. I REALLY LIKE YOUR TRUCK.we bagged this truck last year and it is our most comfortable truck.
That is a nice truck. I agree you can't beat the look of a bagged long bed. Just concerned about how reliable air suspension can be. Static will never leave you stranded on the frame.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
brad_man_72
the boat guy

No heater, in colorado, sounds like a dealbreaker to me.

You can install bumpstops to keep the bagged truck from laying frame (if it lays frame) and possibly leaving you stranded if that's a concern.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Hawghauler

It wouldn't take that much work to add a vintage air heater a/c to it, and you can keep the controls hidden or at least customize them to look good. With the condition of your truck, the possibilities are endless. The '72 would need so much work to be as cool, and it's price is already as much as you've already spent on the '68. I don't see the advantage to the '72 at all. Long or short beds don't make that much difference in the long run. You could convert the air to static if you think it will help, and I agree that you can add bumpstops for security on the road. Upgrade the bags if needed for dependability. I think you can go a long way with that truck, and get everything you want with some modifications. That '68 is a keeper!

Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
Hawghauler

The airlines freezing is a concern, but I think you could add a heating element to the separator and tank to prevent that from being a problem. Or you could buy the springs and just do a winter conversion to static then reverse for summer. Leave everything else in place, winterize with antifreeze or blow out the lines to keep water out then cap the ends until summer. It would only take a few hours per season. Get some studded snow tires, bed cover, and water bag in back for weight. Voila winter rig!

Old 02-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
sic68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawghauler View Post
It wouldn't take that much work to add a vintage air heater a/c to it, and you can keep the controls hidden or at least customize them to look good. With the condition of your truck, the possibilities are endless. The '72 would need so much work to be as cool, and it's price is already as much as you've already spent on the '68. I don't see the advantage to the '72 at all. Long or short beds don't make that much difference in the long run. You could convert the air to static if you think it will help, and I agree that you can add bumpstops for security on the road. Upgrade the bags if needed for dependability. I think you can go a long way with that truck, and get everything you want with some modifications. That '68 is a keeper!
You are right for the money. The 68 has more bang for the buck. I think I will just have the system gone through and replace anything that looks worn. Its a older build 2007 I think. But only 800 miles on it since built. Thank you for the input.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
mixermike

A properly installed air suspension is very reliable. I have only done 1 so far but if you think about things as you do the install and make sure nothing touches the bags and route your airlines so they rub anything or get pinched all will be good. Air suspension has been on big rigs for years and they are subject to alot more weather and abuse than our trucks will ever see. My truck won't lay frame because I installed bump stops to keep me just off the ground in case of a failure I could still move the truck.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
67ctener

How is your truck bagged mike? It lays out low, looks awesome
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
mixermike

Cupped lower control arms and dropped spindles in front... Bags in stock location and lowering blocks rear...
Old 02-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
sic68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixermike View Post
Cupped lower control arms and dropped spindles in front... Bags in stock location and lowering blocks rear...
You have to be c notched in the rear to right?
Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
mixermike

Oh yeah sorry...have a step notch in the rear
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 AM   #18
NEWFISHER

I'm in Oregon and bagged my 65 in December in -10 degree weather. Have been driving it daily here until this weekends 10" snowfall in sub freezing weather. I have had no freezing issues. If the semi trucks have been successfully using them for years and millions of miles, I should be okay. On a 70 mile round trip every day.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
slow-1

The 72 is a nice truck, but the 68 is a show truck, I think you would be going backwards if you replaced the 68 with the 72. My $.02.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #20
70blackfish

I like the 68...looks good. But...if you run without the front wheel tubs, your tires will through rocks up, and it won't be long before it dents the hood.
my truck is bagged i love it that way.