The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
Island Medic

Hello from Canada and engine swap question

Hey all. I have decided to turn my 68 shorty step side into a fishing machine and not a hot rod. It had a v8 350 with an automatic. Is there an easy swap to a little more modern engine with a little better fuel economy. 350 is fun and all but I just need a nice little engine to get me down the dirt road to the fish. Any recommendations on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for a good Canadian parts supplier.

Thanks
Brad
Island Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
j.burton50

Re: Hello from Canada and engine swap question

Did you pull the engine and trans out already? Aside from the "ls swap the world" talk, the 283, 305, 327, 307, 350, 400, I am not aware of a fuel efficient bolt in. Everything gets custom at that point. A good running 350 might benefit from a decent fuel Injection system. Look up the different manufactures, or swap the top end, or something along those lines maybe?

All depends on what way you want to go with it. On the trans side. I'm exploring newer model 5 speed transmissions at the moment. But the 350 turbo, 400, and 700r4, etc. You could look into the length differences for the bolt in factor that would determine the difference in driveshaft length?

Not sure if that gets you anywhere close to what you're looking for.. a good fishing truck could use a 305 with a 700r4 or a turbo 350 if you don't beat on it TOO much.
j.burton50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:57 PM   #3

If your engine is n good shape, I wouldn’t get rid of it. I would look at the edelbrock pro flo or the Holley sniper. J burton is on the right track. Fuel injection can help out some.pro flo is a good choice 4 what u require. Also u didn’t tell us the rear gear but u may want to swap it for something like a 3.08 gear. For what u want, no need to spend a lot of money. Different gear and a better carb could work. It’s all n what u want and how much mileage u need vs what are u getting now. Plus how deep of a pocket u have.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:58 AM   #4
truckster

You need to do a cost analysis. Look at the engine or system you're considering and get realistic estimates of the improved mileage, and then figure out how long it will take to save enough fuel to pay for the upgrade. I think you'll find it's hard to come out ahead if all you want to do is save money on gas.

I put an L31 Vortec 5.7 in my 72 Blazer. I get about 10% better fuel mileage than I did with the stock 350, but it would take a long time to recoup the cost... but that's not why I built this engine (330 HP, 400 Lbs-ft torque). I've considered a 700R4 to get lower RPMs on the freeway, but more for the noise than for mileage. In any case, you're pushing a big box through the air, and you're probably not going to see amazing increases in fuel mileage no matter what you do.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:05 AM   #5
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

For what you want I would go with a nice 350 ,maybe a crate, or custom build but a nice stock type with a bit of HP. Put electronic Fuel Injection on it and go fishing. Otherwise your spending $$ on conversation where you already have what you need. Make since???
Just my 2c.

Fish On
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
MARKDTN

Kinda depends on how much you want to spend. If you just want simple and reliable, a made in Mexico crate 350 with a new carb will be nice for a while. I like fuel injection myself. In your case maybe find a van with a 350TBI setup and just put it in-engine, accessories, transmission-all. But low mile TBI vans are hard to come by any more. A 5.7 Vortec setup is also a pretty easy swap also using original mounts and exhaust. LS swaps are also all the rage. What is your budget and how much are you going to use it per year?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:46 AM   #7
Daves70

I put a Mexican 350 crate motor in my 67 while I rebuilt the 400. I'm kinda surprised by how nice it runs. I used a non egr cast iron intake and a quadrajet from a 72 pickup. I rebuilt the carb and set up the coil type choke, and that thing starts right up and runs like a champ all the time. It's not like a fuel injected engine but its not far off. It doesn't gulp fuel either. Seems like the perfect set-up for what you're looking for.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote