The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2005, 08:28 AM   #26
beaucon

The right lense may be as important as the right welder

First, I am lousy at welding, so this is not expert advice. Second, I recently switched out the lense in my helmet from an 11 to an 8. In one day, my welding improved 100%. I can finally see what I am doing. I am not suggesting that everyone should use an 8. However, I wear glasses. This automatically cuts down on the available light. I never new I had a choice of lenses. So if you find that you cannot see what you are doing, just remember that you are not locked into one grade of darkening lense. I think the new lense cost me less than $3.00. I screwed up way more steel than that over the years so it is worth expirementing. You don't have to make such a dramitic jump from 11 to 8, considering the cost of the lenses and the value of your eyes you may want to sneak up on the right grade for you.
beaucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:14 PM   #27
>X<
registered IWATA user

i'm pretty sure 10 is the lowest you can go for mig welding, its just your eyesight though you might want to check into that

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #28
badone07
Project 2 Resume

I've been using "9" for many years without any problems. I don't wear glasses at all.

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:46 PM   #29
70 net440

We have an L-tec at our shop. We got it from the local parts store about 17 years ago. We have abused it continuosly and it has worked great. We repair garbage containers, truck frames, and do some fabrication with it. I even welded a fender bracket on my son's Blaster today, no problems. I would like to find a good 120v welder for using at the house to save trips into the shop.
70 Dart Swinger
71 K10
70 net440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #30
shifty
Questionable

Hey guys,

I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy a welder. I guess it's the last thing that my shop is missing, honestly (except a plasma cutter, metal brake, drill press, DA sander, ... ).

Seriously though, I know nothing about welding. I don't know what people mean when they say "ARC" welder, I don't know what TIG and MIG means, when you would use gas mixtures, what gas mixtures have what benefits, what kinds of wire to use with different welders....

Man, I need some help learning all of the ins and outs of welding and the styles and uses.

I'd also like to find a welding tutorial online for welding different types of steel together - it would be nice to have a matrix (grid) showing what type of welding works best in diff't situations.

The types of welding I can see myself doing consists of: Welding fabricated brackets together, welding things to my frame, shaving body panels, doing other body work like frenching an antenna housing into my stock gas filler hole.

I see lots of welder recommendations above, but that doesn't help if I don't know if that welder is right for what I want to do. I don't even know how you'd add gas to a system or what that means I'm a super-n00b.

If anyone can give any advice or answer any questions I have above, please help. Thanks

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:14 PM   #31
>X<
registered IWATA user

hey shifty go to your local miller store and ask some questions. if the welder is a MIG it is gas ready. there is a hole in the back, plug in the hose, read the directions/watch the included video about reversing the polarity and stuff, then start welding. if you want to do body work its not even worth practicing with fluxcore. you'll only learn by digging into an old fender and warping some panels. check out www.millerwelds.com to see the choices. the chart with the diff setting/thickness stuff can be found on the inside of your welder. its not as hard as it sounds.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #32
k-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
Hey guys,

I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy a welder. I guess it's the last thing that my shop is missing, honestly (except a plasma cutter, metal brake, drill press, DA sander, ... ).

Seriously though, I know nothing about welding. I don't know what people mean when they say "ARC" welder, I don't know what TIG and MIG means, when you would use gas mixtures, what gas mixtures have what benefits, what kinds of wire to use with different welders....

Man, I need some help learning all of the ins and outs of welding and the styles and uses.

I'd also like to find a welding tutorial online for welding different types of steel together - it would be nice to have a matrix (grid) showing what type of welding works best in diff't situations.

The types of welding I can see myself doing consists of: Welding fabricated brackets together, welding things to my frame, shaving body panels, doing other body work like frenching an antenna housing into my stock gas filler hole.

I see lots of welder recommendations above, but that doesn't help if I don't know if that welder is right for what I want to do. I don't even know how you'd add gas to a system or what that means I'm a super-n00b.

If anyone can give any advice or answer any questions I have above, please help. Thanks
tig=tungston inert gas,mig=metal inert gas,mma(aka arc,stick)manual metal arc,we generaly use an argon/carbon dioxide mixture for welding steel(mig),pure argon for aluminium(mig and tig)pure argon for stainless steel(tig)
mig welders are the best choice for an all round welder,some thing around the 150 amp-200 amp range should do all the work that you will be doing.
k-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:22 AM   #33
cdowns

learning to weld is a mostly hands on deal//most welders come with a good instructional video and book//

places for help:
1 local welding supply /lincoln and miller both have schools and sumtmimes have travilin techs that have seminars//and the local sales guys will be glad to take thier time to get you started on the basics and have info on local training// while on this subgect i'll also add that sometimes it's worth the premium price of dealin local to get this knowledge and tech support in the future

2 local community colleges or trade schools for a 5-6night course

3 local library ====nothing like a good book// places like speedway,summit,jegs have good books on welding//eastwood has expensive videos

its really not as hard as brain surgury just start picking up old pieces of metal off the side of the road for practice an go at it

i have a nice 220volt/135amp lioncoln welder for sale $350 if you want to pickup in daytona i'll give u some quickey lessons
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 05-12-2006 at 08:06 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:30 AM   #34
shifty
Questionable

Thanks guys.

cdowns - I think I might buy locally just for the sake of ease as everyone seems to be mentioning. there is a new Hobart Handler 135 someone has for sale here for $300, but after reading krue's first post in this thread, I'm thinking it won't do argon/c02 mix.

It would be perfect though - I've got two weddings near you in the next 3 weeks .. one in Fernandina Beach, one in St Augustine.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:27 AM   #35
>X<
registered IWATA user

that quick lesson from krue might be worth not buying locally. videos are cheap and the welding place still will help you if you buy your bottle/gas/gloves/mask/etc from them

Old 09-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #36
shifty
Questionable

what quick lesson? i think i missed something. i was just thinking about buying a welder locally. i've got a friend with a bunch of welding DVD's ripped to his computer (gotta love technology), I'm downloading those off of him right now so i can actually have a chance of educating myself at home before venturing out in the world.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:27 PM   #37
shifty
Questionable

Here is a link to LOTS of educational material on welding from Miller:

http://www.millerwelds.com/education...pamphlets.html

Lots of cool projects for beginners, novice and advanced here:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/community/projects/

Just look for the links that start with "Project:"

Old 09-29-2005, 12:50 AM   #38
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

For beginners just one note about galvanized metal welding if you weld it and the fumes go into your helmet and you think hey that stuff doesn't smell to bad, kinda sweet smelling. You may think your going to die the next day you may have the shakes and the feeling that if someone killed you now it would make it better. Drink a glass of milk it helps. Then use a fan to exhaust the fumes to somewhere else.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:30 PM   #39
hotrodmtodd
'Burban Legend

Any Other L-tec Users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 net440
We have an L-tec at our shop. We got it from the local parts store about 17 years ago. We have abused it continuosly and it has worked great. We repair garbage containers, truck frames, and do some fabrication with it. I even welded a fender bracket on my son's Blaster today, no problems. I would like to find a good 120v welder for using at the house to save trips into the shop.
Thanks 70. Sounds like they must be decent machines. Anybody else have experience with L-tec? Any parts sources or e-mail links? Thanks, Mike
'68 McLaren Ramp Truck
'68/'68/'70/'71 Burbs 292/366/402/454
'69 C-30 dump
'71 C-50 dump and church bus
'71 4x4 454
'72 Blazer (w/pop-up camper) $15 x-hooks
'66 Chevy II 194/Weber
'68 El Camino" 305v6
'69 Skylark 455 Buick
'70 Chevelle 427
'71 Cutlass W-31
'71 GTO 400 2x2
"The 51" Chopped '51 Chevy (409) my first car

OK Toad, we'll take 'em all... John Milner
hotrodmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:04 PM   #40
70 net440

Re: Welders!

Well.... now that I bragged about how good our L-tec was it blew up today. But it gave me an excuse to go buy myself a new one. I bought a Hobart 140 at the local hardware store. $475.00, cheaper than any of the internet sights had it listed for. I used it to fab up a platform out of square tubing, and it worked great. The only bad thing was I had to leave it at work until we get the old one fixed.
70 Dart Swinger
71 K10
70 net440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:31 PM   #41
95KYsahara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
TIG welding puts the leat amount of heat into a material, making it warp panels the least. It's also the hardest to learn, and most expensive process to use. But man, can you crank out some pretty welds.

Ever seen anyone TIG two aluminum cans together? That's impressive.

An excellent place to get a good idea on what a welder is really worth is to shop around online. The local welding shops have pretty high prices all over the country.

I'd recommend www.cyberweld.com as a start. I bought my Miler 175 from them back two years ago for $600 wiht a cart during a sale. It's a good bit higher than that now... but remember all their prices are TO YOUR DOOR, and you won't pay tax buying from an online place that's out of state.

TIG is actually one of the hotter processes, but you have such great arc control that you can regulate the heat very well. Short Circuit MIG is the coldest process, and prefered for sheetmetal work.
95KYsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #42
Blue Beard

I use the Millermatic 110 volt wirefeed alot....

Also have a Lincoln Stick welder, and a Miller plasma cutter
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:06 PM   #43
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

I have a hobart ironman 210 unit. Ive had it for a few yrs and love it. Kinda a big non portable machine but very handy!! ran around $1400
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #44
phlegm
Still Green but learning

OK so I have a question, If I am buying one of these to do my rockers and fill some holes from old tonneau covers, NO FRAME work what is the thickness of that metal? what guage? that way when shopping I know if it can do most of what I want....

I will also use it on my imaginary 67 camaro conv. one day too :-)
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #45
emmett

OK Guys
I just bought a snap-on YA-240 wire feed 240 amp DC 80% duty cycle takes 33 lb spool of wire up to .045 wire has stitch mode and argon/c02 tank flow rate regulator new gun about 2 months old for $500.00 I think I did good. what do you guys think?
EMMETT

Kaukauna WI Airplaines don't land here they are sucked down
emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 08:02 PM   #46
kyle4381

I have a miller 251 It is a sweet MIG welder tthat is well worth the money. you can weld sheet metal and up to 1/2 inch steel..
kyle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #47
shifty
Questionable

I'm having a tough choice. I was lookin at the Lincoln SP-175 Plus and the Millermatic DVI. The DVI variable input voltage setup is appealing - don't feel like rewiring for 220 in the garage. I have been dorking around looking at the Hobart 175 as well.

Just curious - what is suggested for fram welding/auto body work - tap feed or continuous feed? Does it matter?

Maybe those two welders are overkill....

Last edited by shifty; 12-25-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:22 AM   #48
emmett

Shifty
I had a friends LINCOLIN 135 worked an 115 volts. It did all the welding I was doing. For frame work you want continuse welding if your new at welding try to find someone experienced with these frames I only stretched semi frames which had to be plated in and out. As far as panel welding I always tack or spot weld then stitch about 1-2 inches at a time eliminates a lot of worpage. The snap-on I have now is a little bigger than I need but I think the price was right.

Good Luck finding one
EMMETT

Kaukauna WI Airplaines don't land here they are sucked down
emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #49
shifty
Questionable

I installed a new double pole breaker and 220 outlet in the garage this past weekend, so working @ 115 is not a problem anymore. I'm now looking at the Lincoln or Millermatic 175 now. Torn on which to get, trying to find one used. I want something that will do framework in one pass, wire feed, ability to do stitch and ???

It's such a big investment. It's gonna take me forever.

I've just started hearing about the Snap-On welders. Can anyone elaborate more on that product? Everyone has been pushing me to get a Lincoln or Miller. I know they're well known brands, but I'm a little ignorant and I know others have much more experience.

Last edited by shifty; 01-04-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #50
earl87gta

Hay guys I know this welder has been asked about but the harbor friaght hear is having a 2 day sale and I can get it for $89 would it be good for welding in rockers and floor boards. Mainly patch pannel work. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44567