The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
beautimus

need opinions on storing an engine

I am undecided on this , and I have come to trust the board members here for their advise and knowledge, so tell me what you would do.

okay , here's the deal, I have a 402 ready to build up, all the machine work done, parts laying on the table. it may be a year or so before I am ready to use it. do I
1. coat it with oil and wrap it in plastic until I need it , and build it then.

2. go ahead and build it, tape up all of the openings. put it on a shelf and hope I get to put it in , a year from now, and not 2 years from now. what's your opinion, or best guess, or what do you think?
thanks, tony
Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: need opinions on storing an engine

I would coat all machined surfaces with heavy grease and put it in a climate controlled space somehow.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
ElKotze

Coat it with Fogging Oil, wrap it up and build it when you need it.
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Willys47

my thought is build it this will keep all the parts together and keep them safe in the block as well as conserve storage space
Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
cdowns

I too think you should spend the time and assemble your engine for security of the parts and the added fact that they are not spread out and tend to go missing

if its assembled and fogged it can be more easily stored for longer periods of time
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Fatherflash

I would recommend you build it and then store it. Simply because you have less corrosive area exposed to moisture that can corrode if the motor is assembled. Once built, fill the motor with oil and then store it. Also ensure you close passages as possible. One crucial point no matter which path you choose - get dessicant (silica bags) and place this in the engine such as the inlet manifold/carb location and on the engine front, back, everywhere.

Dessicant is frequently overlooked when corrosive items are stored for long periods of time and I have found this is a quite crucial requirement. I have stored hundreds of turbine engines which are stored in sealed, nitrogen filled containers with dessicant and these motors sit for years before being opened and installed. If dessicant is not placed in the engine before storage, it is evident as soon as the crate is opened and the engine is inspected. Of course, totally different engine type however, metal and corrosion does not care. It will happen to almost any reactive surface.

Check ebay for dessicant or silica bags. If not there, try other locations. Probably 10, one pound bags replaced every six months to every year would be good enough.

Wish you luck.

Bren
Old 01-17-2015, 02:46 AM   #7
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautimus View Post
okay , here's the deal, I have a 402 ready to build up, all the machine work done, parts laying on the table. it may be a year or so before I am ready to use it.
Build it, bag it. If you are not installing the sheet metal yet, I'd consider leaving the cam out. Good idea at least to not install the rocker arms so the valves all stay shut. Get one of these, I just did and they are nice.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...0VwaArW58P8HAQ

If you use desiccant bags, do like surgeons do with sponges and count them going in and coming out. You don't want to leave one in a port or something and forget about it and damage your engine. Leave yourself notes and tags if you do anything like that.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote