The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Trailer tires?

I'm starting the search for new tires for my C30 DRW. From what I'm reading the 7.50X16 is popular size here on the board.

When I plug in the size in google search I see a lot of trailer tires come up. Whats the difference between a trailer tire and a truck tire?

I want decent tires, but I cant afford a real premium tire with my truck budget, also I don't want to overly cheap out either.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Trailer tires?

Do not put trailer tires on your truck. You can put truck tires on a trailer been doing it for years but not the other way around. Unfortunately they are expensive , heres a set on simpletire.
https://simpletire.com/catalog?selec...ratio=-&rim=16
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 06-06-2020 at 11:12 AM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
vics stuff

Trailer tires are designed with more strength in the sidewalls , due to the stress that they are subjected to when turning . Do not put vehicle tires on a trailer. They are not designed to take the sideways load like a trailer tire.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
Sheepdip

I've got Firestone LT 215/85/R16's on Otis. First set of Firestones I've ever owned.....
so far so good with approx. 4K mi. on them they still look new. They are 10 ply and are 30-1/2" tall.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics stuff View Post
Trailer tires are designed with more strength in the sidewalls , due to the stress that they are subjected to when turning . Do not put vehicle tires on a trailer. They are not designed to take the sideways load like a trailer tire.
Vic
I agree. I always run trailer tires on trailers. The last twenty years or so I was able to buy 16.5 x 9.75 steel wheels they were trailer wheels, stickers and all. when I told the one guy selling a set they were going on my truck he said "Those are trailer wheels, you can't run those on a truck!". I assured him trailer wheels meet and exceed any standards set on truck wheels. Trailer don't have steer wheels, they scrub to make a turn. So it's about the added side stresses put on tires and wheels.

I don't know any reason you couldn't run trailer wheels on a truck, unless it's a matter of ride, handling, mileage expectations (trailers also have no drive wheels), or cost.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Good advice above. Trailer tires should not be used on vehicles. I have recently learned that vehicle tires should not be used on trailers. I believe that's because of the way the sidewalls can flex, making the trailer less stable.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Thanks for the info, I didn't know and if I did ... I forgot lol!

I have a full set of six brand new wheels for the C30. Tired of trying to mish-mash a set together and found new ones for 105 each. More than I was hoping to pay but I'm happier they are brand new. I will use one of the used ones I have for a spare.

Now the search is on for tires that are decent quality and hopefully I wont need to sell a kidney to pay for.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
Greg58

I have had good luck with Cooper LT tires.
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #9
tjc

legally you can't put truck tires on a trailer in Iowa.
tjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Looks like 235 85 16 is equivalent to 7.50 16. Anything special to look for since its going on a one ton dually?

I see a few "traction" type tires. No idea how that would look or even if its worth while.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #11
weq92f

Thanks for this...I've often wondered how the suspension/steering on a tandem trailer worked as in a turn there's definitely opposing forces at play on the axles/tires, especially under heavy load.

Special tires makes sense I guess, but do the wheels also have a bit of toe in/out movement there as well?

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #12
Killer Bee

Arrow Re: Trailer tires?

ya'll do what you like but I'll share my little spiel I give to everyone that asks me this, about once a week or more often

liability - trailer tires designated so on the sidewall as ST are DOT certified and manufactured to those FMVSS standards only.. you choose to apply them anywhere else on public roadways, you are taking the liability onto yourself if that tire fails for any reason.. this may wind you up in a huge mess with your insurance company, litigants in court, especially if someone is injured or killed, etc.. think about that in comparison to saving a couple hundred bucks on a set of tires..

speed ratings - trailer tires are typically speed rated to standards within normal towing speed limits, 65-75 mph maximum is common.. doubtful you'll find a trailer tire speed rated for 90-100 mph.. so what should you expect to happen when you punch it to pass a slow mover and exceed the design speed rating of the trailer tire?

traction ratings - trailer tires are not designed for traction of any kind and thus are not rated for that.. this includes torsional stress transmitted between the drive axle and the road, they are not designed for any of that..

as for using LT truck tires on trailer, probably exposing yourself to less chances of liability issues but do you really want to run the risk in the event a truck tire fails on a trailer?

trailer tires do have a slight advantage within their application over truck tires, they're often more stout on load rating in smaller overall sizes given the nature of the typical trailer suspension design compared to light vehicles.. for instance, you may have to buy a substantially larger LT tire to meet the equivalent load ratings of an ST tire.. I'm sure ya'll have seen them, trailers with wheel wells stuffed tight and rubbing on the fenders every bump in the road, probably LT tires.. older style highway rib tires were possibly the closest match to a trailer tire back in the day, but almost no one runs those on light trucks anymore..

as a professional in this industry, for any on-highway uses, I highly recommend trailer tires on trailers, truck tires on trucks, and auto tires on autos.. and mind the age, condition, inflation, and tread depth on all of them

happy motoring!
Old 06-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #13
72c20customcamper

Lots of campers out there run 10 to 14 ply truck tires . I'm talking about a camper so really not so different than a class c motorhome. My understanding is the rear will wear faster than a normal trailer tire because of scuffing on turns I wouldn't put a passenger tire on a trailer my 10k dump has six ply sidewalls . My c20 has 10
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 06-06-2020 at 04:37 PM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

While we're talking trailer tires, how about those dinky utility & boat trailer tire/wheels? What are they, 8" rims? I used to see those little humdingers spinning their dear hearts out behind RVs running cross-country. Imagine how fast that wheel bearing is spinning. I could never bring myself to use those. There was just this one time, though. My in-laws had moved to the Myrtle Beach area. He had an RV with one of those 4 x 8 jiffy trailers. He had sold the RV. We had bought some porch rockers while visiting and couldn't stuff them in the camper. He gave me the trailer to haul them with. Couldn't see a thing behind me the whole way back. I figured either I'd have a couple rockers when we got home or just be dragging a ground down trailer tongue . I had rockers and that trailer went up on blocks. That poor thing has all my truck rears laying on it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
While we're talking trailer tires, how about those dinky utility & boat trailer tire/wheels? What are they, 8" rims?
Waaaaaay back when I was still single, working in the Midwest, I bought a new '68 Triumph Bonneville. The trailer i bought for it had those tiny 8" wheels & tires. I had concerns about them holding up at highway speed (this was before the 55 mph limit, too). Went from eastern Kansas to western Oregon & back with it behind my '69 El Camino, never had a bit of trouble.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

They worked and still do I guess. Those old tires are toast but still mounted... kinda sorta. I still have the pair of taller tires I went out and bought for a 4 x 4 jiffy trailer kit I bought for behind the camper for coolers and such. I had bought that and never put it together. Sold it to a guy who worked for me. That was before I had the 4 x 8 given to me. But I found the tallest Goodyears I could find.

There are fat tires made in that size, too, for heavier use. You'd see some pretty big boats on four of those gettin' it down the hiway. I remember Wells Cargo trailers with four fat ones under their deck-overs. The idea was keep it low.

Now there's another trailer type thing. I don't like how they started building campers on top of utility trailers, or so it appears. Too high for my liking. They look so unstable all jacked up like that. I'd rather deal with tail-end clearance on the old style lower campers.

Tim

Old 06-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #17
Killer Bee

I also have a small boat trailer with 5.70-8 size tires on a single axle.. while they may seem inferior, they are DOT with UTQG ratings.. they usually have lower maximum speeds as well so taken in context, not all that difficult to run reliably down the highway safely.. yes, I tilted the outboard motor up before transporting

so again, with regards to liability, following the DOT and FMVSS regulations and manufacturers recommendations should get you there safely..

as for the flipped or converted trailer axles, this is usually done for higher ground clearance, most often for off road applications.. quite common and can make the difference between getting stuck or gutting the under chassis of the trailer on the trail or getting to your campsite in one piece unassisted.. helps line up the trailer frames better to lifted trucks as well for smoother towing.. steep driveways, tall curbs like I have for my backyard parking, etc. are other reasons for increasing clearance.. interestingly enough, the way trailers are typically delivered with underslung axles would be considered lowered if it were a truck

my buddy's trailer I borrowed has flipped axles and tows great!

Old 06-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I was thinking of campers traveling on hiways to set up in campgrounds. The axle under is how all I see are built these days. Just not my preference. If I trailer camped off road it would be minimal. Small, light, and high to sit on level with the truck and go wherever the truck does.

I got out of my '71 camper truck for a plan to put a low-profile (crank-up) camper on the '72 K2500. Never happened. I wanted an 8' platform so I could tow whatever

Tim

Old 06-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #19
Killer Bee

I agree on the small footprint for convenience and simplicity plus they travel or tow well.. I just need a little shelter for the family and personally just fine in a tent

but you should see some of the monstrosities folks drag out into the desert around here.. glamping rigs larger than my first apartment, white knuckle tows in some areas I'm sure

places like pismo, glamis, ocatillo, dove, etc. look like a circus on the popular camping holidays
Old 06-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I always looked at that '71 camper as base camp. It was great for the kids traveling and if weather got bad we had somewhere to ride it out. It was like being on a boat.

We had (still have) a 6-man Eureka dome tent with an alcove. We could fly, rent a min-van, and go camping in something that used little gas.

I have a 2-man, too. So we usually had tents pitched by the camper. By the time I wanted to get away from the slide-in we bought a ZR2 ext cab. I put a Leer cap on and for my wife, younger son, and I it worked out well for tent camping.

Tim