The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
kansasc10

Motor Plate Guys

I was going to go with solid motor mounts and a poly trans mount but am wondering if its time to go with motor plates instead. I have a 505 BBC making around 700hp and will be spraying 200 to 300 on top of that. Ive never messed with motor plates so I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on which to use and best way to mount everything. No cage (yet) to tie the plates into unfortunately so itll have to bolt or weld to the frame. Does anyone make a plate kit for a 72 c10? All I have seen seem to be for LS or sbc.
Thanks in advance.
kansasc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:19 AM   #2
BigBird05

Re: Motor Plate Guys

It seams that all of the car shows are showing how to fab up your own motor mounts using a kit that has a poly bushing and round tube that you cut to length to weld to the frame. I no I just saw one being made on the 4x4 show.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
kansasc10

Anyone have any hands on advice? Should I just go with solid mounts?
Old 12-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
RustyBucket

Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)... somebody on this FORUM could probably offer some advice/info.

My "hands on experience" was with the '70 Nova in my sig. It had a motor plate and solid mounts. Had tabs welded on the frame rails which bolted to the sheet metal motor plate. I broke the bellhousing off of two stock case powerglides... one with a rubber tail shaft mount and one with a solid mount. This is with a 5,000 converter on a sticky track with a transbrake. Never solved it. Wiped out my meager budget and I wasn't having much fun fixing it so I sold it.... busted. I didn't have as much hp. as you but PLENTY of traction.
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!

Last edited by RustyBucket; 12-17-2020 at 05:33 PM. Reason: add photo
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
kansasc10

Man sorry to hear about the Nova. I definitely want to avoid this situation so I have some questions just to make sure I dont end up doing the same.
Did you check your driveshaft length to make sure it wasnt too long? I know they can break housings if shoved into the output shaft too far on launch.
Were you using a front motor plate or a mid mount plate that bolted to the bell housing? When you say you had solid mounts and a motor plate, were you referrimg to solid motor mounts and a motor plate or solid tranny mounts?
Old 12-18-2020, 12:27 AM   #6
RustyBucket

I'm pretty sure I had end clearance on the driveshaft. The motor plate was sandwiched between the transmission and engine. It extended out to the either side and bolted to brackets welded to the subframe rails. The engine's side mounts were solidly bolted to the subframe. I tried both solid and rubber trans. tailshaft to crossmember mounts. It had welded subframe connectors, ladder bars, coil overs & a track bar. It launched hard but with a weird twist, driver side/up pass. side down. I'm old & got frustrated with it. $10Gal. race gas, load the trailer, tow to the track, unload, tear it up, load it up, tow it home, spend $$.... Decided I liked cruising to car shows in an old truck & sitting in the shade in a lawn chair deciding where we were gonna eat.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote