The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #1
gt40racing

Sheet metal???

Who make the best sheet metal? Got some areas in my cab I want to replace...
Attached Images

1989 Saleen #243
1969 C-10 Fleetside
1966 Mustang Coupe GT
1965 Fastback Mustang
1951 F1 Truck
gt40racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:50 PM   #2
TXgearhead67

Re: Sheet metal???

Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
TXgearhead67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

There is no "best". The industry has a couple of manufacturers that have their products repackaged numerous ways. Meaning that the same badly stamped part can be purchased under different brands.
Your best bet is to purchase your parts from a quality vendor (I like Classic Heartbeat) who cares how your project turns out. These vendors know the short comings of the products (If any) they sell and are up front about it. They will also not sell products that are just plain poor. For example the 67-68 steel raised cowl hoods on the market today fit terrible and as a result quality vendors won't sell them.
I also recommend spending hours reading rust repair threads so you can see the common issues folks experience.
And remember these trucks were assembled by teams of humans that had good and bad days. So your truck may have its own special challenge when replacing sheet metal.
Just my opinion.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
May70

This is kind of long but its what I found out searching for the truth in very dirty water. This topic is based on second or third hand knowledge so I dont think anyone knows exact specifics. Even GMCPauls doesn't know and they buy stuff straight from Triplus (more on that subject below)..

(If you dont want to read this entirely) My recommendation is just to go through GMC Pauls for your patch panels.
Notes on LMC vs GMC Pauls:
I've used a few of the panels GMCPauls sells and they were better than LMC by a long shot in the fitment area. What is very odd though is that both GMCpauls and LMC sell Triplus. GMCPauls claims they have no knowledge of multiple different tooling/dies but it is extremely unlikely in this type of manufacturing to only have one die set. Especially in Taiwanese manufacturing. Also its standard industry practice to have at least two sets. Anyway... LMC panels are consistently worse, and even on the Tri-plus website they state they have numerous warehouses and production facilities, so GMCPauls has no idea where any of its coming from other than "triplus". Additionally, Tri-plus is probably rebranding some parts that are manufactured by someone else too as Taiwan is infamous for partaking in that sort of activity. So by the time GMCPauls or LMC sell these (or anyone else for that matter) no one can honestly tell you where they came from. I also don't expect they have much communication with Triplus in general. My belief is GMCPauls gets there parts from a different warehouse or machine die than LMC, that is the only explanation why GMCPauls parts consistently fit better. I will say LMC has a much better website/security and their shipping (packing specifically) far beats anyone else's.

Before you buy from GMCPauls:
The website is pretty outdated and tedious to get through for the couple times. It can also be hard to find some things. Communication is mediocre as in 2020 they didn't give out a phone number to call which in my opinion is not good business. I asked them to call me which they avoided. The only contact I could find was an email, so if they have a phone they definitely do not advertise it because I looked very hard a while back. They also refuse to change an order -for any reason- after it is placed. I believe they claimed it was for reasons linked to covid/ their computerized system (recalling from memory). If that is true they should make steps to update that process or their website because it would be pretty easy to select the wrong product. That all said, if you were to have any problems with something I am not very confident it would be handled in the customers best interest. Its a whole lot easier to tell someone no or blow them off via email. This definitely isn't intended as a bash on them but the truth doesn't care who's feelings get hurt. Ive done a hand full of purchases directly and im doing work for a guy who brought me some of his patch panels to use and they were good. Definitely some areas needed for improvement. I will also say of the two times I used my card on his site I had fraudulent charges pop within a one week both times. And in the 10 years I have had a credit card, that has happened a total of 3 times (I rarely use it). I would definitely not put my debit card in that site, Id use a prepaid card if I buy more stuff. Im sure they didn't have any direct responsibility in the card information leak but if their security is as poor as their website, it would be extremely easy for hackers to get it. Running an online business, its pretty much their responsibility to keep up with the technology and not doing that puts the consumer at risk. The website looks like it hasnt been revamped in 15+ years. Anyone with even a little background could tell you their website needs overhauling. I know that ebay was more intricate in the late 90's than what they have going on in 2021.
You can use LMCs website for ease of locating/determining what you need but I wouldn't purchase any metal through them again. I have two new full door skins I haven't touched yet in a box from them and I hope I don't need them. I ordered them before covid incase they ran out or something stupid.

Best I know, there are only two true producers of most of these pieces. Some only made by one (new, larger pieces such as the full rear of cab). Rebranded with many different names. The triplus high hump floor pan is a major problem and should not be sold, the inner rocker ledge is off by more than half an inch and doesnt line up correctly between the pillars with . Cab corners were fairly pour fit at the bottom. Their rockers were a very bad fit. The lower fender patches are horrible. I havent had any issue with other products they sell like I did with the patch panels.

Barb from GMC Pauls did offer me up this info in regards to stickers on patch panels. Apparently there is something to do with the stickers that can tell you if a part was actually a faulty rejection and was still sold.. I sent them a picture of my LMC rocker with two stickers (Taiwan ROC and Triplus):
The decal shown on 1st is the one used by LMC to mark their parts with for resale with their part # on it. The other that is on the left hand rocker is a actual Tri-Plus decal. So the 2nd decal is used by LMC to stock their shelves with so it isn't a matter of them being a defective part causing 2 labels.. We also carry Tri-Plus rockers and all Tri-Plus rockers are made with the same tooling to our knowledge. We have had zero reports of length issues with these rockers. Each side also uses it's own tooling for the manufacturing process at Tri-Plus and there is no way for the tooling to stamp a part 1 time at 1 length then stamp the next part at a different length as the tooling does not change between stampings. So I'm not sure how to advise you on your issue you are having. Now if this were a Apex made rocker marketed by Dynacorn or Woodall Industries those do have a known issue with tooling being to short but the decal shown for Tri-Plus is correct for 1 of their products.
The bottom line:
From my personal experience using many patch panels from different sources, they all take a copious amount of splicing/adjusting to make them fit right. Which is exactly why everyone selling patch panels just claims ignorance or says they all take tweaking when you tell them something is F'ed up. To make a new die set for a simple part costs in the neighborhood of a few hundred thousand $, so dont count on anyone doing that. Even when we all know they suck. If you aren't looking for good gaps or body lines, you have less to worry about. Some take a lot more than others and should be avoided. Either way its not going to be a quick, slap n tickle type situation. GMC pauls is probably the safest bet based on personal experience with having done multiple cabs. Whats out there is usually better than nothing but that comes at its costs.

Also everyone's lower B pillar is absolute trash. Ive used the triplus version from GMCpaul and LMC numerous times. Any responsible business should stop selling those immediately. They are worthless and if they claim otherwise they have not personally used one or they are lying. I use them reluctantly but there is only about 30% of the original piece left when I'm done so im not sure if that even counts. Triplus will never stop manufacturing bad parts -in order to fix them- if these vendors don't start refusing crap quality. In the end its the consumer who bites the bullet. Which will probably not change soon. Although there is a small shop making complete re-pro cabs which may eventually became affordable and not many will go the route of piecing them back together. I know they are trying to get it somewhat automated.

I would caution you to avoid running with advice from anyone who has not personally used their own two hands and made a patch panel work from 'xyz' vendor.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations

Last edited by May70; 06-02-2021 at 03:57 PM.
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
gt40racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
This is kind of long but its what I found out searching for the truth in very dirty water. This topic is based on second or third hand knowledge so I dont think anyone knows exact specifics. Even GMCPauls doesn't know and they buy stuff straight from Triplus (more on that subject below)..

(If you dont want to read this entirely) My recommendation is just to go through GMC Pauls for your patch panels.
I've used a few of the panels he sells and they were better than LMC by a long shot in the fitment area. What is very odd though is that both GMCpauls and LMC sell Triplus. GMCPauls claims they have no knowledge of multiple different tooling/dies but it is extremely unlikely in this type of manufacturing to only have one die set. Especially in Taiwanese manufacturing. Also its standard industry practice to have at least two sets. Anyway... LMC panels are consistently worse, and even on the Tri-plus website they state they have numerous warehouses and production facilities, so GMCPauls has no idea where any of its coming from other than "triplus". Additionally, Tri-plus is probably rebranding some parts that are manufactured by someone else too as Taiwan is infamous for partaking in that sort of activity. So by the time GMCPauls or LMC sell these (or anyone else for that matter) no one can honestly tell you where they came from. I also don't expect they have much communication with Triplus in general. My belief is GMCPauls gets there parts from a different warehouse or machine die than LMC, that is the only explanation why GMCPauls parts consistently fit better. I will say LMC has a much better website/security and their shipping (packing specifically) far beats anyone else's.

The website is pretty outdated and tedious to get through for the couple times. It can also be hard to find some things. Communication is mediocre as in 2020 they didn't give out a phone number to call which in my opinion is not good business. I asked them to call me which they avoided. The only contact I could find was an email, so if they have a phone they definitely do not advertise it because I looked very hard a while back. They also refuse to change an order -for any reason- after it is placed. I believe they claimed it was for reasons linked to covid/ their computerized system (recalling from memory). If that is true they should make steps to update that process or their website because it would be pretty easy to select the wrong product. That all said, if you were to have any problems with something I am not very confident it would be handled in the customers best interest. Its a whole lot easier to tell someone no or blow them off via email. This definitely isn't intended as a bash on them but the truth doesn't care who's feelings get hurt. Ive done a hand full of purchases directly and im doing work for a guy who brought me some of his patch panels to use and they were good. Definitely some areas needed for improvement. I will also say of the two times I used my card on his site I had fraudulent charges pop within a one week both times. And in the 10 years I have had a credit card, that has happened a total of 3 times (I rarely use it). I would definitely not put my debit card in that site. Im sure they didn't have any direct responsibility in the card information leak but if there security is as pour as their website, it would be extremely easy for hackers to get it. Running an online business, its pretty much your responsibility to keep up with the technology and not doing that puts the consumer at risk. Anyone with even a little background could tell you their website needs overhauling.
You can use LMCs website for ease of locating/determining what you need but I wouldn't purchase any metal through them again. I have two new full door skins I haven't touched yet in a box from them and I hope I don't need them. I ordered them before covid incase they ran out or something stupid.

Best I know, there are only two true producers of most of these pieces. Some only made by one (new, larger pieces such as the full rear of cab). Rebranded with many different names. The triplus high hump floor pan is a major problem and should not be sold, the inner rocker ledge is off by more than half an inch and doesnt line up correctly between the pillars with . Cab corners were fairly pour fit at the bottom. Their rockers were a very bad fit. The lower fender patches are horrible. I havent had any issue with other products they sell like I did with the patch panels.

Barb from GMC Pauls did offer me up this info in regards to stickers on patch panels. Apparently there is something to do with the stickers that can tell you if a part was actually a faulty rejection and was still sold.. I sent them a picture of my LMC rocker with two stickers (Taiwan ROC and Triplus):
The decal shown on 1st is the one used by LMC to mark their parts with for resale with their part # on it. The other that is on the left hand rocker is a actual Tri-Plus decal. So the 2nd decal is used by LMC to stock their shelves with so it isn't a matter of them being a defective part causing 2 labels.. We also carry Tri-Plus rockers and all Tri-Plus rockers are made with the same tooling to our knowledge. We have had zero reports of length issues with these rockers. Each side also uses it's own tooling for the manufacturing process at Tri-Plus and there is no way for the tooling to stamp a part 1 time at 1 length then stamp the next part at a different length as the tooling does not change between stampings. So I'm not sure how to advise you on your issue you are having. Now if this were a Apex made rocker marketed by Dynacorn or Woodall Industries those do have a known issue with tooling being to short but the decal shown for Tri-Plus is correct for 1 of their products.
The bottom line:
From my personal experience using many patch panels from different sources, they all take a copious amount of splicing/adjusting to make them fit right. Which is exactly why everyone selling patch panels just claims ignorance or says they all take tweaking when you tell them something is F'ed up. To make a new die set for a simple part costs in the neighborhood of a few hundred thousand $, so dont count on anyone doing that. Even when we all know they suck. If you aren't looking for good gaps or body lines, you have less to worry about. Some take a lot more than others and should be avoided. Either way its not going to be a quick, slap n tickle type situation. GMC pauls is probably the safest bet based on personal experience with having done multiple cabs. Whats out there is usually better than nothing but that comes at its costs.

Also everyone's lower B pillar is absolute trash. Ive used the triplus version from GMCpaul and LMC numerous times. Any responsible business should stop selling those immediately. They are worthless and if they claim otherwise they have not personally used one or they are lying. I use them reluctantly but there is only about 30% of the original piece left when I'm done so im not sure if that even counts. Triplus will never stop manufacturing bad parts -in order to fix them- if these vendors don't start refusing crap quality. In the end its the consumer who bites the bullet.
Thank You! Good read....
1989 Saleen #243
1969 C-10 Fleetside
1966 Mustang Coupe GT
1965 Fastback Mustang
1951 F1 Truck
gt40racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #6
SkidmoreGarage

Even good vendors can get bad stampings. Just order the best you can and don't be surprised if you need to cut and weld to get things to line up. Also remember that these are trucks that were not engineered or manufactured in the modern way so variability is high.

My fourth note is that everyone manages their own quality control. What some call perfection may be someone else's idea of a hack job- take advice in that spirit and you will never be surprised.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post

I've used a few of the panels GMCPauls sells and they were better than LMC by a long shot in the fitment area. What is very odd though is that both GMCpauls and LMC sell Triplus. GMCPauls claims they have no knowledge of multiple different tooling/dies but it is extremely unlikely in this type of manufacturing to only have one die set. Especially in Taiwanese manufacturing. Also its standard industry practice to have at least two sets. Anyway... LMC panels are consistently worse, and even on the Tri-plus website they state they have numerous warehouses and production facilities, so GMCPauls has no idea where any of its coming from other than "triplus". Additionally, Tri-plus is probably rebranding some parts that are manufactured by someone else too as Taiwan is infamous for partaking in that sort of activity. So by the time GMCPauls or LMC sell these (or anyone else for that matter) no one can honestly tell you where they came from. I also don't expect they have much communication with Triplus in general. My belief is GMCPauls gets there parts from a different warehouse or machine die than LMC, that is the only explanation why GMCPauls parts consistently fit better. I will say LMC has a much better website/security and their shipping (packing specifically) far beats anyone else's.

The website is pretty outdated and tedious to get through for the couple times. It can also be hard to find some things. Communication is mediocre as in 2020 they didn't give out a phone number to call which in my opinion is not good business. I asked them to call me which they avoided. The only contact I could find was an email, so if they have a phone they definitely do not advertise it because I looked very hard a while back. They also refuse to change an order -for any reason- after it is placed. I believe they claimed it was for reasons linked to covid/ their computerized system (recalling from memory). If that is true they should make steps to update that process or their website because it would be pretty easy to select the wrong product. That all said, if you were to have any problems with something I am not very confident it would be handled in the customers best interest. Its a whole lot easier to tell someone no or blow them off via email. This definitely isn't intended as a bash on them but the truth doesn't care who's feelings get hurt. Ive done a hand full of purchases directly and im doing work for a guy who brought me some of his patch panels to use and they were good. Definitely some areas needed for improvement. I will also say of the two times I used my card on his site I had fraudulent charges pop within a one week both times. And in the 10 years I have had a credit card, that has happened a total of 3 times (I rarely use it). I would definitely not put my debit card in that site, Id use a prepaid card if I buy more stuff. Im sure they didn't have any direct responsibility in the card information leak but if their security is as poor as their website, it would be extremely easy for hackers to get it. Running an online business, its pretty much their responsibility to keep up with the technology and not doing that puts the consumer at risk. The website looks like it hasnt been revamped in 15+ years. Anyone with even a little background could tell you their website needs overhauling. I know that ebay was more intricate in the late 90's than what they have going on in 2021.

The bottom line:

Also everyone's lower B pillar is absolute trash. Ive used the triplus version from GMCpaul and LMC numerous times. Any responsible business should stop selling those immediately. They are worthless and if they claim otherwise they have not personally used one or they are lying. I use them reluctantly but there is only about 30% of the original piece left when I'm done so im not sure if that even counts. Triplus will never stop manufacturing bad parts -in order to fix them- if these vendors don't start refusing crap quality. In the end its the consumer who bites the bullet. Which will probably not change soon. Although there is a small shop making complete re-pro cabs which may eventually became affordable and not many will go the route of piecing them back together. I know they are trying to get it somewhat automated.

I would caution you to avoid running with advice from anyone who has not personally used their own two hands and made a patch panel work from 'xyz' vendor.
Excellent information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote