The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2021, 01:46 PM   #1
body bolt

I hate carburetors ...

Due to the current fuel situation, the climate and altitude where I live, I'm thinking to make the switch to EFI for simplicity and drivability. I want something that includes everything, uses the stock manifold, simple to install and simple to tune. I'm not doing it for performance as I drive like a farmer and use my truck as a truck. The MSD 2900-2 Atomic 2 setup seems to check the boxes. Any input and EFI experience from others would be appreciated.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: I hate carburetors ...

For a stock bottom end GM Tuned Port is great. I know you said a stock manifold (so a TBI type system) but changing the manifold is no big deal. The advantage to this is parts availability at any auto parts store. Dealers that can work on it if necessary. TPI has great low-end torque. TPI does not like high RPM or big displacement. All of these are not issues for a stock truck application. I have done a '72 and 2 square bodies and all are still running and happy. Just a thought.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
Big Kev-O

The MSD Atomic 2 is nice but all of the throttle body EFI units will require you to install a fuel pump and most(if not all) require a fuel return line. This can bit a bit more complicated if your fuel tank is still in the cab. If your fuel tank is in the cab you will need modify you factory fuel sender. I had to add a 3/8" fuel pick up line to my factory sender and use the original pickup as a return. It was a PITA to braze/solder in the 3/8 line to the sender.

So plan on adding the cost of the new fuel pump. There are other solutions for fuel delivery but all cost extra $.

I am using the FiTech Go EFI 4 system and I love it. I rebuilt my Holley carb twice and couldn't get he truck to run smooth. After I installed the EFI my truck still did not run right. Turned out I had a huge intake gasket leak which is probably why I couldn't get my carb working. After I changed the gasket my truck ran better than ever with the EFI. Still glad I went with EFI.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
body bolt

The fuel pump is included. Everything is in the kit. I figure I can use one of the fittings on the EEC tank for a return. I guess some had also used a '72 sender which has another line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
The MSD Atomic 2 is nice but all of the throttle body EFI units will require you to install a fuel pump and most(if not all) require a fuel return line. This can bit a bit more complicated if your fuel tank is still in the cab. If your fuel tank is in the cab you will need modify you factory fuel sender. I had to add a 3/8" fuel pick up line to my factory sender and use the original pickup as a return. It was a PITA to braze/solder in the 3/8 line to the sender.

So plan on adding the cost of the new fuel pump. There are other solutions for fuel delivery but all cost extra $.

I am using the FiTech Go EFI 4 system and I love it. I rebuilt my Holley carb twice and couldn't get he truck to run smooth. After I installed the EFI my truck still did not run right. Turned out I had a huge intake gasket leak which is probably why I couldn't get my carb working. After I changed the gasket my truck ran better than ever with the EFI. Still glad I went with EFI.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #5
MikeB

This FiTech kit with the Force Fuel system lets you use your stock fuel pump and tank with no return line to the tank.

https://fitechefi.com/product/35203-...livery-system/
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
body bolt

That does solve the return problem. Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
This FiTech kit with the Force Fuel system lets you use your stock fuel pump and tank with no return line to the tank.

https://fitechefi.com/product/35203-...livery-system/
Old 06-17-2021, 10:58 PM   #7
rsgt

This would work for you: https://pfisys.com/store-3/#!/Comple...egory=27177706
rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:25 PM   #8
SkidmoreGarage

Just to offer another point of view based on experience. I would stick with a carb and get it setup to work best for your situation.

I would not recommend any of the carb retrofit efi systems. Bad fuel injection systems can be just as frustrating as a badly setup carb, and more dangerous to your engine's health. To take full advantage of efi, you should consider a manifold with injectors and a throttle with an iacv, as well as a fully controllable ECU that is tuned at a Dyno.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:32 PM   #9
body bolt

I'm no longer interested in messing with the carburetor. I hate carburetors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
Just to offer another point of view based on experience. I would stick with a carb and get it setup to work best for your situation.

I would not recommend any of the carb retrofit efi systems. Bad fuel injection systems can be just as frustrating as a badly setup carb, and more dangerous to your engine's health. To take full advantage of efi, you should consider a manifold with injectors and a throttle with an iacv, as well as a fully controllable ECU that is tuned at a Dyno.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:40 PM   #10
body bolt

Yeah and the price is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgt View Post
Old 06-18-2021, 07:03 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like you need the 87-95 GM TBI from a junkyard. I have never had any issues with that EFI on any truck I've had with it, including the '95 Suburban I daily drive. That's 26 years of proven reliability. No aftermarket system can claim that. And that's about 229k miles.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #12
tim_mc

If you want EFI then I like Tim's suggestion to use a GM setup. When planning my project I read a lot of stories of bad aftermarket EFI experiences, some tossing it completely and going back to a carb.

You didn't mention the carb you're using. A new carb might be the easiest, cheapest bang for the buck, especially for a farm truck. Not looking to start a carb flame war, but I'm a big fan of the Edelbrock AVS2 carb - easy to tune, quick cold starts w/no choke, and great throttle response with its annular primaries. It would likely require a fuel pressure regulator as they don't like more than 4-5psi. Currently priced at $352 at Summit.

Like Big Kev-O, I also had an intake leak recently that was likely affecting my tune. Now that is fixed as well as a new DUI HEI coil and module on my failed GM HEI, I'm back to running great! I have the manual choke 650cfm 1905:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1905

Last edited by tim_mc; 06-18-2021 at 09:07 AM.
tim_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #13
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mc View Post
Not looking to start a carb flame war, but I'm a big fan of the Edelbrock AVS2 carb - easy to tune, quick cold starts w/no choke, and great throttle response with its annular primaries.
Even the Edelbrock 1406 would work pretty well out of the box. But, yes, the AVS2 would be high on my list for a mild performance engine, and I'm a Holley guy.

What kind of carb is currently on the truck?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #14
body bolt

I looked more closely at the FITech and that Force Fuel pump/sump requires a return so I'll resign myself to adding a AN6 fitting to the tank. I don't like the idea of running the ~60PSI returns to the hose barb EEC tank fittings.