The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #1
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

EZ Wiring Problems

Haven't been here in awhile.
Trying to install the wires having issues at every turn. Now I don't have brake lights or turn signal lights. Installed new C10 tail lights and theres only two wires, a hot and a ground. My question, does the park and turn light wires both connect to that one hot wire or am I missing something?
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
rockyrivermark

Re: EZ Wiring Problems

I’m guessing one wire is turn signal/brake and the other is running lights.
Ground would be to the chassis?
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #3
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
I’m guessing one wire is turn signal/brake and the other is running lights.
Ground would be to the chassis?
Mark
Correct, which is how its ran, yet I have running lights, but no turn or brake.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:13 PM   #4
Big Kev-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Haven't been here in awhile.
Trying to install the wires having issues at every turn. Now I don't have brake lights or turn signal lights. Installed new C10 tail lights and theres only two wires, a hot and a ground. My question, does the park and turn light wires both connect to that one hot wire or am I missing something?
To answer your question, NO the park and turn light wires do not get connected to the same wire. NEITHER WIRE LEAVING THE SOCKET IS A GROUND. The dark green wire is for the right brake/turn, yellow is the left brake/turn and the brown one for the tail light(running light). The socket is grounded when the metal housing is screwed to the bedside. There is no wire for the ground.

The bulb and socket inside the housing should be the dual filament type. meaning the have two contact points on that connect the end of the bulb, one for each wire.

I installed the same kit and if I remember correct the colors on the harness should match the taillight wires.

So you should have the two wire connected to the yellow & brown on the left side and the green & brown on the right. If you have theses connected and the tail light housings screwed in they should work. If the don't you may have made a mistake wiring the headlight switch, steering column or high/low floor switch. All of which need to be wired in order for the tail light & signals to work.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
To answer your question, NO the park and turn light wires do not get connected to the same wire. NEITHER WIRE LEAVING THE SOCKET IS A GROUND. The dark green wire is for the right brake/turn, yellow is the left brake/turn and the brown one for the tail light(running light). The socket is grounded when the metal housing is screwed to the bedside. There is no wire for the ground.

My brand new C10 tail lights came with two wires, a black ground and a dark green. Thats it. I don't have the original C10 connectors to the tail lights anymore due to frayed of age. I keep reading where people are posting that they figured out the problem, but not saying how.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
My brand new C10 tail lights came with two wires, a black ground and a dark green. Thats it. I don't have the original C10 connectors to the tail lights anymore due to frayed of age. I keep reading where people are posting that they figured out the problem, but not saying how.
The socket makes the ground, one wire is for brake and turn signal the other is running lights . The only time you would have a ground wire is with a plastic socket.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
Wrenchbender Ret

These new lights are not always color coded. The dark green wire will be the stop/turn light & connect to the green wire in the harness when used on the right hand side. It will connect to the yellow wire in the harness on the left side. The black wire will go to the brown wires on the harness on both sides. The ground is provided by the mounting brackets. You can verify this by touching each wire to a terminal on the battery & holding the fixture against the other term.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
LS short box

When I did my C10 with a Painless kit I ran a ground wires from the tail light housings to the frame rail. Just ran a self tapping screw into the housing.
Maybe over kill but it worked for me.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
gmc684x4

Lights ground to box
Box grounds to frame
Look at where all the factory ground straps go
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:28 PM   #10
truckster

I just finished an EZ Wiring kit. There are no ground wires - you have to supply your own. The two wires you describe are for the tail and stop lamps. Mine did have the correct (or close to correct) colors for the rear harness.

A picture of what you are working with might help.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:01 PM   #11
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
Lights ground to box
Box grounds to frame
Look at where all the factory ground straps go
yes!! run those ground sraps. especially one from the bed near the lights to the frame
Old 05-26-2021, 07:03 PM   #12
gmc684x4

Number 1 issue with trucks grounds #2 grounds #3 grounds
Real factory wiring relies on ground straps as well
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:50 AM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
Number 1 issue with trucks grounds #2 grounds #3 grounds
Real factory wiring relies on ground straps as well
It's why I bought a bought a pilot brush. Must be nice to have wiring, ordered mine early February
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #14
MikeB

You might want to have someone step on the brakes and then use a multimeter or test light to make sure you're getting 12 volts to the brake/turn signal lamps. Is your flasher module installed in the fuse panel?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 06-02-2021 at 12:17 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote