The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
dsraven

grease for those squeaky polyurethane bushings

here is a quick write up on greases for polyurethane suspension bushings. hope it helps somebody.
when installing those poly bushings think about a grease zerk along with a line up hole in the bushing to allow the grease zerk to get grease right into the contact area where the grease is needed. some stainless body washers on each end of the bushing has also worked for keeping the grease inside the bushing, for me anyway.
https://www.suspension.com/blog/the-...hane-bushings/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:17 AM   #2
6DoF

Re: grease for those squeaky polyurethane bushings

good info!
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
Gregski
Post Whore

Very Nice!
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #4
_Ogre

my fatman mustII kit instruction said the bushings were graphite infused and no grease was recommended. yeah, in 4 years the bushings were slap worn out, egg shaped and squeaked like the dickens. my truk sat a couple inches lower just from worn out bushings.

i rebuilt the front end and had some energy suspension grease laying around and threw it in there. still going strong after 4 years.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
dsraven

I have installed energy suspension control arm bushings and other parts in a few more modern cars and trucks. I usually try to install a grease zerk and ensure there is a hole drilled to line up with that and/or a groove cut the circumference of the outside of the bushing so grease from the zerk can make it around to the hole that leads to the wear surface. I always suggest to grease the bushings at every oil change. so at least once every ten years for some guys, haha. I find the grease that comes with the bushing set is super sticky but aftermarket grease gun stuff is generally not so sticky. I suggest to grease more often in that case until the guy gets a read on how often is required. for those horeshoe shaped stabilizer bar bushings I usually try to clean the shaft really well first and lightly paint it or at least prime it, then wrap it in wide plumbing teflon tape tightly before greasing and installing. I haven't had any complaints so it must work I guess.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote