The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
Thundarr

Motor and Tranny Shop in Dallas

My 30 year old GM Goodwrench 350 SBC is starting to overheat. It's still running the TH350 3 speed so my highway speeds run at about 2800 rpm.
I think I'm ready to find a shop for motor and transmisson swap.

Anyone have any recommendations in the Dallas area?
Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Motor and Tranny Shop in Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
My 30 year old GM Goodwrench 350 SBC is starting to overheat. It's still running the TH350 3 speed so my highway speeds run at about 2800 rpm.
I think I'm ready to find a shop for motor and transmisson swap.

Anyone have any recommendations in the Dallas area?
"starting to over heat" isn't a just cause for an engine/transmission swap unless there are more serious issues -- high oil consumption, engine internal knocks, slipping transmission or other issues... Overheating could be a symptom of a faulty thermostat, partially clogged radiator, slipping water pump belt, or faulty water pump.. All these problems are easily and relatively cheap to repair.. Unless you are just looking to install a later model (read that LS) engine why not just have the overheating problem looked at by a skilled mechanic or shop???
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
gmc684x4

Look for leaking water pump can you smell antifreeze in the cab that is a sign of leaking heater core

Is your truck running rough tired and smoking ?

Looking for ls power upgrade
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:03 PM   #4
lil hoodlum

Not sure how much this will help you as I live in Denton. I had Wayne Calvert Precision Engines rebuild my 327 for my 1968 C10. The did an excellent job and running fine 3 years later. https://www.waynecalvertengines.com/

I had Robinson Restoration Services install said 327 in the C10. They are a bit on the pricey side but they do excellent work and only work on classic car and trucks. Very knowledgable and passion about classic car and trucks. http://www.rrstexas.com/index.php
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
Thundarr

The heat issue is causing vapor lock that has progressively gotten worse. I have done several things to mitigate that, but I do need to check the radiator.

The swap is partly about the engine but also about the transmission. I'm running high rpms keeping up with Dallas traffic.

This truck is a lifer for me, so I am definitely pushing this to get some more power too.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #6
Thundarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
Not sure how much this will help you as I live in Denton. I had Wayne Calvert Precision Engines rebuild my 327 for my 1968 C10. The did an excellent job and running fine 3 years later. https://www.waynecalvertengines.com/

I had Robinson Restoration Services install said 327 in the C10. They are a bit on the pricey side but they do excellent work and only work on classic car and trucks. Very knowledgable and passion about classic car and trucks. http://www.rrstexas.com/index.php
Great. Thanks!

I think I'll reach out to Robinson first to get their ideas on what my options are.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
Thundarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
"starting to over heat" isn't a just cause for an engine/transmission swap unless there are more serious issues -- high oil consumption, engine internal knocks, slipping transmission or other issues... Overheating could be a symptom of a faulty thermostat, partially clogged radiator, slipping water pump belt, or faulty water pump.. All these problems are easily and relatively cheap to repair.. Unless you are just looking to install a later model (read that LS) engine why not just have the overheating problem looked at by a skilled mechanic or shop???
Rusty, you were right. It was an easy solution. I started with the easiest thing first, and it turns out I had a bad thermostat. She runs cool and no more vapor lock. But, my great intentions are still there... I'm still unsatisfied with the lack of power and the 3 speed tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post

lil hoodlum,
I talked to Robinson and they seemed very knowledgeable. Unfortunately, they are super busy, so they are going to call me back when they have time to even look at my truck.

When Wayne rebuilt your 327, what changes did you make and what power difference did you get from the rebuild?

Thanks to both of you for your advice.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
Rusty, you were right. It was an easy solution. I started with the easiest thing first, and it turns out I had a bad thermostat. She runs cool and no more vapor lock. But, my great intentions are still there... I'm still unsatisfied with the lack of power and the 3 speed tranny.

lil hoodlum,

When Wayne rebuilt your 327, what changes did you make and what power difference did you get from the rebuild.
It was a basic stock rebuild, long block. Cylinders had to be bored over .06 so this will likely be the last time this block can be rebuilt. I did go with a set of aftermarket heads though. Motor runs good and I haven't had any issues with it and the rebuild was a little over 3 years ago and this is my daily driver. I average a little over 100 miles per week on it. The dyno'd it to break the motor in and it got 338.8 torque at 4200 rpm and 308.3 CBHP at 5600 rpm. It's not a race motor for sure, but it gets down the road just fine and it has plenty of pick up and go. I paid $1750 for all the parts and machining except for the heads. It took about a month for the rebuild.
Attached Images

lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
Thundarr

Wow. That looks amazing.
Congrats.