The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Jstock85

Re: Finish Wiring of a Stand Alone Harness

Check out Brendan from LT1swap you tube videos. They're long but he walks you through reworking a harness. I watched it several times before doing mine. had minimal issues.
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
19SIKtySix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstock85 View Post
Check out Brendan from LT1swap you tube videos. They're long but he walks you through reworking a harness. I watched it several times before doing mine. had minimal issues.
What I keep finding is the the same info, such as taking a stock harness and making it a stand alone harness. The info I need is once that is done and the wires you need are broken out and separated, then what?

I found a helpful video on YouTube from UCanDoIt2, he used info from LT1Swap to make a diagram of the fuse box with relays. They don't mention what size fuses to use and where wires go after that.

I know I'm having issues because I've never tackled wiring until this project, so it's quite the project to learn wiring on.

I can't find much information on the accessory wires either, such as TCC wire, VSS and NSS wires. If I can figure out how to do it, then I'd love to document the wiring and add it to my build thread.

Instagram: c_lo_garage

Check out my 1966 C10 project "El Viejito" here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=674614
19SIKtySix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #3
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19SIKtySix View Post
I can't find much information on the accessory wires either, such as TCC wire, VSS and NSS wires. If I can figure out how to do it, then I'd love to document the wiring and add it to my build thread.
What exactly is it you're looking for? It's going to be a little difficult to tell exactly what you're working with since someone has already done some mods to the harness, but not impossible. The wires in your pic you posted that I can see says '12V + Key' should be pink wires, but the guy used red, this may trip people up. Anyway, TCC gets hooked to the brake switch, the VSS goes to your electric speedometer and the NSS isn't really necessary on a swap unless you just want to use it. If you have a specific question it will be easier to answer, so maybe take it a few wires at a time, that should make it easier on you.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
19SIKtySix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
What exactly is it you're looking for? It's going to be a little difficult to tell exactly what you're working with since someone has already done some mods to the harness, but not impossible. The wires in your pic you posted that I can see says '12V + Key' should be pink wires, but the guy used red, this may trip people up. Anyway, TCC gets hooked to the brake switch, the VSS goes to your electric speedometer and the NSS isn't really necessary on a swap unless you just want to use it. If you have a specific question it will be easier to answer, so maybe take it a few wires at a time, that should make it easier on you.
Sorry LS1, this wiring layout is messing with my head. You're right, I need to ask specific questions in order to try and get answers.

In my OG post, I posted 2 pics...1 picture was my harness layout and the 2nd was an example I was trying to use to build my fuse block.

I know that both orange wires (battery 12v+) and red wires (ignition 12v+) need to be run on a 15 amp fuse. I'm trying to determine how to go about actually wiring it up that way, can I model the 2nd pic diagram of the fuse block/relays as an example? Meaning do I run each wire into a different fuse location (4 fuses, 4 wires)?

I'm hoping someone could help me create a diagram using the wires I have, then I could wire them accordingly.

Again, I have no experience wiring, which is why I need to ask so many questions...I don't want something wired wrong. If I have step by step instructions, I could go from there, but to make connections on my own, I don't want to attempt that.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:08 AM   #5
ls1nova71

Ok, I see. I didn't realize the first pic was a diagram of the harness you have. So basically you would wire it up like the second pic, at least the fuse block part, on the right side. Only difference would be you will only have 2 ignition fuses rather than the 3 in that pic. The other things will go to what ever they are for, MIL will go to the check engine light, TCC will go to the brake switch, etc.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
19SIKtySix

Quote:
Ok, I see. I didn't realize the first pic was a diagram of the harness you have. So basically you would wire it up like the second pic, at least the fuse block part, on the right side. Only difference would be you will only have 2 ignition fuses rather than the 3 in that pic. The other things will go to what ever they are for, MIL will go to the check engine light, TCC will go to the brake switch, etc.
I forgot to mention that I went and purchased the same Dorman fuse block and (2) 40 amp relays, plus the 8 pin connectors shown in my 1st post. I like the way it's clean and detailed...no loose wires, everything has a place, I like that idea.

Also I've been ordering wire (20g for the misc connections, 16g orange for the fuse block, 12g purple for the starter connection, 12g red for the battery to fuse block connection and 10g black for the ground from battery to body). I still need to get my battery cables and battery.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #7
19SIKtySix

Quote:
LS1, do you have an email that I could contact you regarding wiring questions?

Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 PM   #8
dec010974

hello 19SIKtySix. I hope all is well. i tried to hit you up on IG but you are private. from the pics i saw, doing the harness is pretty much cut and dry. oh, yeah, i've done this before. dm me your number and i call you to explain anything to help you out. Listen to LS1nova71, he's a god when it comes to LSx swaps. in a few of my own swaps, i put the stock harness, with no wires removed, on the engine and tranny, plug up a vats deleted pcm, wired my fuel pump, grounded the block, frame, engine, added 12v+ power/Ingniton and fire the motor up. of course i added fuel and connected the starter, but its easy.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote