The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #151
ChrisDollins

Re: My 66 Project

Wow, can't believe it has been that long since I have updated this thread. Little truck hasn't changed that much. Been driving the wheels off of it. I did put a/c and overdrive in it though. Made drivability so much better. I used the truck to sell real estate in 2018 for about 10 months until I got a good job opportunity. But I drive about 100 miles a day. The overdrive helped with that big time. Just cruises along at about 2k rpms on the highway at 65 or so.

Chris
Attached Images

Last edited by ChrisDollins; 09-18-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added pictures
ChrisDollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #152
ChrisDollins

The A/C I used a cheap setup off of ebay. Came with hoses, condenser, compressor, evaporator/fan assembly, drier and pressure switch. Had the hoses crimped at the local Napa. Wasn't too bad to install and works like a dream. I am installing an electric fan soon to help with when sitting still. Unshrouded fan doesn't move quite enough air across the condenser. Found the bracket on ebay as well that works with an hei distributor. Nice bracket that works great.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #153
ChrisDollins

The overdrive is a Saginaw unit out of like a 50's car. Still 3 speed manual, but has a big solenoid that engages overdrive. Super cool. I wired it up to a factory looking pull switch in the dash under the heater control. Get up to speed in 3rd, pull the switch and let off the gas and it goes right into overdrive. Changed the truck a lot for me. I really didn't want to give up the low gears in the rear axle. The 250 started missing on me pretty bad. Went through the carb twice, new ignition parts and anything I could think of. Decided to buy parts to put the spare 283 in it. I failed to check into the little 283 before getting everything and the deeper I went the worse it got. Decided to abandon that idea and have fixed the 250. Put a Holley 350cfm carb on it and cleaned up the wiring. Good running little engine. About to lower the truck a couple more inches and get the electric fans on this fall. We have 3 little ones now so shop time is very limited LOL. Usually to after the kids go to bed, if I have any energy left. Thanks for reading.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #154
cwcarpenter98

I've got the same trans in my truck. I absolutely love it!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #155
ChrisDollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I've got the same trans in my truck. I absolutely love it!
Awesome! They're pretty cool. I never knew they existed. Did you wire in the governor? I left mine out, and just put it on the switch.

Chris
Old 09-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #156
The Rocknrod

Man that's a nice truck. Good job.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #157
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDollins View Post
Awesome! They're pretty cool. I never knew they existed. Did you wire in the governor? I left mine out, and just put it on the switch.

Chris
Yes, I have it wired as GM would have done it except for a couple things. I'm using a Studebaker kickdown switch (original GM switch is way too expensive for me), added a relay for the HEI dizzy, and I also added a switch before the main power relay so I could completely turn off the power to the system when I want to drive in lockout

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #158
ChrisDollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Man that's a nice truck. Good job.
Thank you! It takes good pics anyways. The old single stage paint is getting pretty beat. I polish it with #7 as often as I can, but there's only so much you can do. Lol
Old 09-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #159
ChrisDollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Yes, I have it wired as GM would have done it except for a couple things. I'm using a Studebaker kickdown switch (original GM switch is way too expensive for me), added a relay for the HEI dizzy, and I also added a switch before the main power relay so I could completely turn off the power to the system when I want to drive in lockout
That's what I was thinking too. If I had the cable pulled and wanted to get some engine braking when maybe hitting a twisty county road, I didn't want that old solenoid sitting there energized and held back the whole time.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #160
ChrisDollins

The carb install was pretty straight forward, but had to get a little creative. I was hoping to turn the carb 90* from normal and keep the original linkage that lifted up on the throttle cam. But the Holley works backwards from the original Rochester. Luckily I found some steel rod the same size as the original linkage and bent it around to work. The Holley has a return spring on its self, but I put the original one back on the pedal lever as well. So far it has worked really well. I had to drill the holes larger and grind on the adapter pretty good to clear the vacuum port on the intake and a lever that hung down on the carb. But other than that it went right on. Bought a cool 12" oval finned air cleaner that ended up hitting the booster. So time for a smaller booster. I drove it locally for about 3 weeks here and there. Then decided to drive it to work (100mi round trip). Almost there and it started missing and giving trouble. On the way home it ran really rough and I was afraid the missing problem was back. Picked up a new intake/exhaust gasket and was going to change it. Started pulling it apart and found the cap I used to cover the vacuum port had split big time. Replaced that and it's back to running good. Getting new exhaust put on Friday. Anyways, I think that's about all that has happened. I did put in a modern relay/fuse block for the accessories and cleaned up the wiring some. It could still use more work though.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2023, 06:06 PM   #161
ChrisDollins

Has been a while since I've updated the thread. The old 250 finally came apart. Not sure if it ate a cam lobe or what, but ended up having to pull it. Since the truck shares daily duty it needed to be back on the road quick. Bought a pullout 4.8/4L60E and threw it in. Had some growing pains and ended up on the back of a wrecker for a bad fuel line, but all is well. Took the truck on an overnight trip with the wife to Little Rock, AR. Had a guy in front one morning on my way to work not see a slow truck and trailer and he tried to avoid it at last minute. Went from cruise set at 68 to full brake. Tried to steer into the fast lane but it turned him up on his side and into that lane so I tried for the turning lane but by then the backend was coming around. Thankfully noone was in oncoming lanes and I just slid into some branches. Made it out with some scuffs, but no dents and everyone was ok. Gave a good scare though. Other than that the old truck has been doing great.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2023, 09:50 AM   #162
joesscamaro

Great looking truck and thanks for the fuel injection update. Those 4.8's are solid engines. Glad you escaped the scare with only a few minor scratches and some dirty underwear.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:29 PM   #163
ChrisDollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
Great looking truck and thanks for the fuel injection update. Those 4.8's are solid engines. Glad you escaped the scare with only a few minor scratches and some dirty underwear.
Absolutely! Never been involved in something like that before. Thankfully no damage because the officer wrote it as a separate accident since I didn't hit him. Would have been on my insurance. Worked the paint over with some #7 and all is well. Drove on in to work after getting it pulled out. Working on wiring again. Cleaning everything up from the engine swap. After this will be relocating the fuel tank.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2023, 08:21 AM   #164
The Rocknrod

Never seen #7 but it looks like it work miracles. Is it this? https://www.amazon.com/No7-Auto-Poli.../dp/B000BPTUOQ
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote