The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
Cam-Shaft

Project 2 Week Leak

I am 17 and the proud owner of a 69 Chevy K10. This is my first vehicle which I bought against the better judgment of my parents and some forum members here whom advised against it. Being the stubborn person I am, I bought it anyways even though it is rusted to smithereens.

I paid 800$ for it back in December and it looked something like this.

Doors, fenders, cab, bed, all shot for the most part. Frame is solid and the engine and drive train works great. Someone put a 2 inch lift on it and new brake lines. Also was pleasantly surprised to find disks up front.

It sat for most of the winter as I had no place to work on it and we got completely hammered with snow.

I had also picked up a new cab, fenders and doors off a 67 c10 for 200$

This is all new to me and I decided that I did not want the small back window, too small and I wanted the ventilation the larger sliding one I currently have. I found someone to trade cabs with me, but in my attempt to remove it from the snow drift it was buried in, I bent it up and the deal was off.

I then decided that this is not the time for me to do a restore, so I came up with a new goal. The truck must be 100% functional and safe (as safe as they came anyways ). I will patch up the rust the best I can and make a nice beater little chevy until I can find a clean body for it sometime next year.

The plan is to weld in new rocker panels, patch up the floor, fill the area above the windshield with expanding foam to keep the loose rust from falling out and then cover it up wit something, throw some cheap carpet down, swap out the fenders and GO!

Here's where the name "2 week leak" comes from. I play ultimate frisbee and there is open tournament coming up in 2 weeks (from today). My goal is to get this truck functional enough where I can drive it there. Bit drastic of a goal, but my dad always says "If you don't have a goal, you'll hit it every time".

I have already put a bit of time into this. The rockers are in, the fenders are almost on as well as the doors, so the list is as follows.

1) patch the floor, ceiling, and throw down carpet and the bench seat.
2) Clean the carb up a little bit (edelbrock) and run new gas pedal linkage.
3) Replace windshield.
4) finish bolting up fenders and grill

One major challenge that I need some help with involves the grill. I was not aware that the 67 fenders are a different shape then the 69. I'm hoping I can come up with something decent that will work with my 69 hood as I'm not a big fan of the earlier hoods (sorry slant nose guys).

I'm creating this thread to help motivate myself to finish by the goal date. If I do, excellent. If not, then I will still be closer then before. Comments, idea's and words of encouragement/discouragement appreciated!
Cam-Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
Rodzzilla

Re: Project 2 Week Leak

Nice start.
Rodzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Cam-Shaft

Re: Project 2 Week Leak

Well got a bit of work done today after church. Stole my brother for the afternoon and we got the other fender and door, the hood, the grill, the radiator, the carb and all the linkage on. Truck is really starting to take place and I am pleased with how it is looking so far!

Cam-Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote