The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 PM   #26
Jonny Hotnuts

Re: SWB build (phase 2)

Waiting un-patiently for parts. I got the lowering kit from Early but no springs, rear axles....or anything else (big order).

but....

I was able to get the tires mounted. Toyo matched set on 20s (45) on 10s and 8s.

Nice to see these but still need more parts.

Because I have had a few days idol on the truck I put this together.....

~JH
Jonny Hotnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:39 PM   #27
Jonny Hotnuts

Genuine spiders! What a lucky find!

Got to this point but couldnt continue. Early Classics 'drop shipped' my springs and they are still MIA. Its ok because I didnt have ball joint boots and mine were shot before I got into pulling the spindle and will need to order some before things get tightened up.

-In case anyone was wondering, it sucked removing the spindles. Even with my shiny new Harbor Poop pickle forks they didnt want to relent.

~JH
Old 07-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #28
Jonny Hotnuts

Almost done with the left side and discover I am missing needed parts for the conversion. At least I can put the wheel on!

~JH
Old 07-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #29
Jonny Hotnuts

Got the wheels on (at least the fronts!). Nice to see how the drop looks on the truck vs just pics of other trucks with the same size wheels/ tires and drop.

Old stuff.....

BTW, if anyone wants any of the stuff that is coming off, Ill be happy to give it.

The old spindles put up a valiant fight but it eventually gave up the hold thanks to Mr. torch and a pickle fork. The left side was much easier.

-Sorta surprised the EC drop kit didnt come with upper and lower ball boots. I cant imagine anyone wanting to reuse them IF they made it through getting the crap beat out of them when removed. I picked up some red 'energy suspension boots that seemed to fit fairly well.

~JH
Old 07-28-2019, 12:11 AM   #30
Jonny Hotnuts

4 springs!!!!

I went into the rear with "got the fronts handled, how hard can the rear be".

-F*^K!!!!!!!! Thats how hard!!!!!!

It was horrible!!!!

New panhard, relocated the shock mount, installed the shock and got the spring installed on the passenger side.

Tomorrow Im going to get the driver side. I have a HUGE order of parts coming from EC and wanted to get these installed before more boxes showed up.

Also.....

Are the little coil helper springs on the top of the axle as seen in the first pic common?

~JH
Old 07-28-2019, 08:11 AM   #31
a.c.ward

I have seen these helper springs installed on a couple of trucks, mostly longbed trucks that were used for towing and heavy loads. Only ever seen one set a short bed that suffered from sagging springs. Pretty commonly installed in the late 70's to get that "stink bug" tail high stance with oversize tires in the back.

Aftermarket replacement springs were not as common as they are now back then, and we did what we could afford to do, lol

66 El Camino

67 SWB underwent major Surgery- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=776475
a.c.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #32
Jonny Hotnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.c.ward View Post
I have seen these helper springs installed on a couple of trucks, mostly longbed trucks that were used for towing and heavy loads. Only ever seen one set a short bed that suffered from sagging springs. Pretty commonly installed in the late 70's to get that "stink bug" tail high stance with oversize tires in the back.

Aftermarket replacement springs were not as common as they are now back then, and we did what we could afford to do, lol
Thanks for the info Mr. Ward. I was unsure if they were a dealer installed option or aftermarket.

-I have NO doubt my grandfather (original owner) had these put on because he was towing a fifth wheel trailer (SWB, 250ci). Interestingly enough I found BOTH sides of the bed damaged from what appears from jackknifing a fifth wheel trailer.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #33
Jonny Hotnuts

Wife and kid went to visit the MIL this weekend so I had some free time to work on the truck. WOW this was zero fun!!!!

Footwell-firewall separated from cab.

Doesnt have to be pretty!
I actually think some of the factory spot welds were defective. It looked like they were pushed in too far (past overlap) and only about 1/2 the spot had retention.

QUESTION:
Is this a common thing?

New skirt.

New fender. Its just finger tight. No point in working out seam alignment OR putting in the bolts to the grille that will be replaced when the new one arrives in a week or so. I also need to order a couple 'quick nuts' because a few of the stock ones were not usable.

Also.....

I am not knocking Early Classics but their brake kit had the incorrect banjo bolts for the brake lines (I think they were 10mm) and there was NO way they would work with the supplied calipers. No big deal because I know they will take care of me but it I HAD to get the brakes done this weekend. I ended up purchasing 2 new calipers just for the bolts (*because POS 'Autozone' didnt have the banjo bolts but they had calipers WITH them; Ill return the calipers once EC sends me the correct ones.) Very much a PITA.

-Just letting you know if you buy the same disc conversion from EC, check the banjo bolts before doing the install.

~JH
Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #34
Jonny Hotnuts

New grille! (*outside)

I did the inside and light buckets flat black. I ended up cleaning the inside piece in the shower with an old toothbrush to get it clean. The wife LOVES it when I clean parts in the shower.

~JH
Old 08-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #35
Jonny Hotnuts

GROSS!!!!

Got the new bearing in by tapping it in using the old bearing as a block. It worked really nicely.....I dont know if this is a thing but it made putting in the wheel bearing SUPER easy and the outside race was absolutely perfect after the install.

New 5 lug axles, seals and bearings. The whole thing took about 3 hours to get both sides done. Overall it wasnt too bad....

I plan on doing disc conversions at some point but at least I have it back together. I honestly feel whoever invented drum brakes should be whipped in the eyeball with a venomous snake.

On its wheels again for the first time in a month! I can finally see how the drop/ level looks and I am really pleased with the stance (EC 4/6).
Less some grease in the rear end I could actually take it for a ride around the block!

~JH
Old 08-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #36
Jonny Hotnuts

She moved under her own power today (*its been a while) so I could sweep out the garage. Finally got the correct lug nuts and 'almost' got the underbed tank installed. I finally get to see what the EC 4/6 stance looks like with the AR Salt flat wheels.

~JH
Old 08-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #37
Jonny Hotnuts

This was a fun purchase because it marks the FIRST thing I did that is prep for the LS engine in the future! I didnt need braided SS -6 for a 250ci but at some point it will be under pressure.

Had to neck down and use a barb to rubber but its plenty for the 250! LOL
I didnt want to do this but there was no way the oem mechanical would allow an AN fitting to be installed. I keep telling myself its only temporary! LOL

Test fitting before locking down all the fittings and installing the tank. I wanted to use the steel fuel tank because I want as much weight aft the rear axle as possible....although its not really much lighter than the aluminum. I have a real problem with getting traction on my other truck (supercharged) and just a few sacks of concrete in the bed really help it get off the line.

~JH
Old 08-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #38
cornerstone

Making some killer progress senior caliente cajones.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #39
Jonny Hotnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Making some killer progress senior caliente cajones.

THanks Mr. Stone of corners!

I can get 90% of the work done in 10% of the time; the last 10%....well, thats always the part that seems to take the longest!
Old 08-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #40
Jonny Hotnuts

Got the underbed tank installed.
THis was a huge PITA.
Need a 90 degree -6 fitting because the fuel line runs directly into the new pan hard.

-Theres always something!

~JH
Old 08-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #41
Jonny Hotnuts

OH

and on another note....

If anyone else gets this tank the FIRST thing you need to do is throw away every one of the supplied split lock washers. They are TOTAL junk; even with minimal torque on a flat surface they spread so much that I didnt need to remove the bolt to remove the washer after tightening. They are quite possible the worst POS washers I have ever seen. Other than that, the tank is a pretty decent piece.

~JH
Old 09-03-2019, 11:57 PM   #42
Jonny Hotnuts

Much easier to send in a 9 year old to get to the hard to reach areas! I have taught him how to use have allowed him to use almost everything in the shop. He is getting pretty good at welding (mig) and even some tig work on SS and aluminum. I even caught him cutting out faces in sheet metal with the plasma cutter last week!

https://www.facebook.com/jonny.hotnu...8247473714314/

(*yes I know I sound demanding [Im not really], yes I know it needs a guard on the cutoff).

I wouldnt necessarily say all kids should do this sort stuff at these levels but I have found that kids are much more capable in the shop then people give them credit for.

Pop, pop, pop!!!!

Replacing the RH side rocker (in and out).
This is the last piece on the trucks body Ill need to replace. Only thing left is shaving the RH side turn signal out of the new fender.

Test fitting the outer. This side needed to be done but was not in too bad of shape; I have seen much worse.

~JH
Old 09-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #43
Jonny Hotnuts

Found some old pics this weekend of the truck. I was going through a pile of old photos and came across these.

My grandfather and dad working on an airplane we built. This was ~1985 and in Hot Springs Arkansas. My grandfather purchased the c10 new in 70 and sold it to my dad in 1982(ish).

Building a greenhouse ~1982 in Keno Oregon.

My old gal (*as seen in many of my build pics) with day old paint in ~1985-6.

I was very happy to get these pics that I didnt know existed.

~JH
Old 09-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #44
clay68c10

Those pics are great!
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote