The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Hard Starting Hot

Ok let's not worry about the timing. It is a mechanical setting that isn't going to change if the truck is hot. It might be able to mask the symptom but it isn't the solution to the problem. And a quick check of spark quality when the engine has hot soaked should reveal weakness in the ignition system.

Your initial post indicates a flooding situation. There are several common causes for that.

The choke being closed. Your pictures show the choke being completely open.

The float may be set on the edge of being too high. The fuel level in the bowl is okay when the fuel is cool, but after the engine has stopped there no longer is cool fuel entering the carburetor. The fuel that is in the bowl will heat up and expand until it flows over into the intake manifold. The cure would be to lower the float a small amount.

And the well plug(s) could be leaking. To determine if this is in fact happening you can check the fuel level in the bowl when the carburetor is cold and then again after it has set for 20 minutes when hot. I will say that if this is happening you would also experience the need to crank the starter a bunch to start a cold engine, as there would be no fuel in the bowl and the fuel pump would have to refill the bowl so the accelerator pump would work. It has been my experience that well plugs generally leak when the carb is cold and seal when hot. That being said I have run across carburetor bodies that have cracked and when cold they don't leak, but leak when hot. Hard to check for other than pull the carburetor off when hot and put a clean cloth underneath it and set back on the intake to hot soak. When it has set for 20 minutes check the cloth for signs of fuel.

I hope I have helped with solving your problem. All of this is my opinion so Good Luck!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote