The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2020, 12:43 AM   #376
rcrahn

Re: PROJECT "Father/Son" C-20 Rolling Chassis Build

More electrical work
Attached Images

rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:50 AM   #377
rcrahn

continued electrical
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 12:56 AM   #378
rcrahn

And more electrical
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 01:00 AM   #379
rcrahn

Wiring back end of truck along with Tanks PA-2 pump
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 01:11 AM   #380
rcrahn

Modification of stock engine oil cooler lines. Cut off any rubber hose leaving hard line. Drilled and tap port for oil pressure sender. Fabricated SS braided PTFE lined hoses with AN fittings to run to radiator on driver side. Very clean work by John. Note, change fitting on port to 45 for clearance on the SSR exhaust manifolds
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 01:19 AM   #381
rcrahn

Next up...fabricate hoses for PS box. This box (along with PS pump) was rebuilt by Lee Power Steering in SoCal. These people are legendary in the hot rod world..check out their history....

https://leepowersteering.com/pages/h...power-steering
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #382
rcrahn

Connected steering shaft and set up Lokar shift linkage between column and 4L80E. Realized shift indicator lens was only 3 speed but need 4 speed. Easy to fix by swapping out $5 lens. Time to bolt in SSR exhaust manifolds. These fit tighter to motor than stock LQ9 and fit better in the frame.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 08:30 AM   #383
rcrahn

Back to electrical...removed temporary controller for air bags and installed simple rocker switch box. Permanently wired power to ViaAir compressors.
Ran power to doors for electric life power windows (GM49-K)
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 08:40 AM   #384
rcrahn

Now onto trans oil cooler setup. After much discussion decided to use Derale stacked plate cooler 13403, 7inX13inX2in. Not too small and not too large.
Chose to mount it on crossmember so it sits just behind the front bumper. Once again John showed his skill in fabricating brackets for it and using pre-existing holes in frame for mounting. It came out awesome and is going to provide plenty of cooling for this when towing
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #385
rcrahn

Time for adding all fluids....Paying special attention to using pressurized system to push new Mobil 1 oil throughout the entire motor prior to starting. Remember, this motor sat for around 12 years. Note: I did change the intake gaskets, plugs, new exhaust gaskets and have the injectors cleaned and tested beforehand.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #386
rcrahn

Prior to starting there was much discussion about fabricating the cold air intake.
We decided to send it to the driver side since the battery was sitting on passenger side and future AC compressor was going to sitting high on passenger side as well. So the plan was to go to driver side and secure it with a couple of custom brackets including one to the inner fender. I brought the inner fender down to them and John was prepared to lengthen the MAF wires to reach over there. Luckily, he discovered the original MAF wires had been wrapped up in a bundle inside the harness and with some unwrapping he freed them up and rerouted them.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #387
rcrahn

Went to start it and heard a "CLICK". Removed starter and bench tested it. Dead. Ordered reman unit from Summit. It arrived, installed it and they turned the key. No start. Checked spark and injector pulse. Those looked good. Wasn't getting fuel. Could it be brand new PA-2 in tank pump? Dropped tank to check it. Worked fine. Traced it down to the fuel hoses being connected wrong up at the fuel rails. Remember, using the stock LQ9 intake and fuel rails which include a return line. This was entirely my fault. I made those connections years before. Once they were swapped it started and ran, albeit rough, since it needs a tune. Oil pressure good at 60+ psi
Old 08-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #388
rcrahn

Next was fabricating the intake.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #389
rcrahn

To get the brakes working it needed drop downs from the MC to the existing lines already done. Running a vacuum line to booster, then bleeding everything. John did an artistic job curling these lines making it look real nice.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #390
rcrahn

By this time the engine was running and the truck could be driven and safely stop. My budget was exhausted but I was thrilled with reaching a huge milestone in this long long project.
Huge thanks again the the team at American Customs & Classics in Hollister. If you live in the region and ever need work done on your truck these are the guys to go to.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #391
rcrahn

Forgot to mention this....while the truck was out of my garage at American Customs and Classics I took the opportunity to finish another project that was started a long time ago. I installed a suspended ceiling and upgraded the lighting to LED panels. The grid is USG Donn. The panels are from Ceilume. Very lightweight and easy to work with. The LED panels (6) are from 1000 bulbs. Man, I cannot believe the difference. Flip the lights on at night and it looks like a showroom.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #392
SCOTI

Glad to see the progress updates. Kudos for continuing & pushing to see it through.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #393
cornerstone

Lotsa real nice touches and clean work! I like the brackets you made for the air intake tube, and the sturdy utilitarian look of it.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:43 PM   #394
KevinK7

As noted, the detail work is impressive. That CAI looks great, ...and again kudos for finishing through. You've done a LOT of work for sure, truck is looking great
Old 08-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #395
rcrahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Glad to see the progress updates. Kudos for continuing & pushing to see it through.
Thanks for looking and your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Lotsa real nice touches and clean work! I like the brackets you made for the air intake tube, and the sturdy utilitarian look of it.
I have known John for a long time and he's always done clean work. Putting together the CAI was trial and error. We talked about going with something like AirRaid but nixed that idea. I ordered some 4" 90 degree pipes from Summit that took over a week to be delivered only to discover they would not work. Had to be returned. Yes, the brackets are very clean and believe me, very sturdy. That intake won't be moving around. Might even drill some 2" holes in the core support close to the filter to allow for better airflow. Or, another thing I've been thinking about is creating a duct which sits below the core support and run a 3" brake duct hose up close to filter. Taking a lesson from racing. But all that is something that we can mess around with later. For now it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK7 View Post
As noted, the detail work is impressive. That CAI looks great, ...and again kudos for finishing through. You've done a LOT of work for sure, truck is looking great
Thank you. No doubt this project has taken a long time. There's still more to come but so much has happened since it was started. My son got into racing Spec E30 BMWs with NASA and we have built 2 cars. Both kids got married, bought homes and each had a baby. I had prostate cancer and successfully beat it in early 2019. So yes, life happened. I just decided, F__K it, this is going to get done. I'm glad I did it. No regrets.
This truck will soon be shipped off to Austin TX where my son now lives. We have agreed on a figure so he will be buying pops out (paying me back) for what I have into it. Hopefully he'll see it through to completion. Paint, AC, Interior...Any good hot rod shops in Austin please let me know so I can pass it along.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #396
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK7 View Post
Thanks for the kind words ...

I am also glad to see this thing up and running again !!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote