The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
danpomeroy

Talking My 69

Hello Everybody,

Well, I finally get to start my build (well, I actually started it a couple weeks ago.). I recently picked up a 69 Chevy C10 that is in pretty decent shape. Should be a good project for a beginner.

I have been a fan of these forums for a long time, just haven't had anything to work on, and there is a wealth of info here. I think I should be able to do most anything I want with this info.

Anyhow, here is what I am planning on doing to this. Yes, I realize that a lot of it isn't original but that isn't the point. This is going to be my daily driver.
  1. LS Engine Swap
  2. 5 lug conversion
  3. Disc Brakes all the way around
  4. Fresh Paint
  5. Fresh Glass
  6. Sound Deadener
  7. Blazer Gas Tank

Forgot to mention that I picked this up for $1200 and I am the second owner.
Attached Images

Last edited by danpomeroy; 04-25-2011 at 10:08 PM.
danpomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
67cheby
67cheby

Re: My 69

fun part now....TEAR IT APART.... my favorite part !! LOL
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
danpomeroy

I have to do everything in stages so I can drive it too. First thing I am doing is welding the small holes everywhere and replace the rocker panels. Hard part is I've never done any welding. I got a wire feed from harbor freight and put the Lincoln wire in it.

I'll post pics as I go.
Posted via Mobile Device
My build thread
Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
trkfrk

Nice!!! Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a very solid foundation. This is the right place to share your build with everyone. I like the plan with the LS conversion. Good luck and show us plenty of pictures.

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
jcaugmented

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpomeroy View Post
I have to do everything in stages so I can drive it too. First thing I am doing is welding the small holes everywhere and replace the rocker panels. Hard part is I've never done any welding. I got a wire feed from harbor freight and put the Lincoln wire in it.

I'll post pics as I go.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would highly suggest you invest in all the safety gear for welding if you havent already. Start with the settings called out on the chart that came with your unit. And with sheet metal, defiantly take it slow, be patent and keep the heat down. And if you can practice on a scrap piece of sheet metal before your attack your truck. It really is fun and opens up a ton of doors for the imagination. Good luck man.
jcaugmented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
danpomeroy

Thanks for all the replies guys. I apologize, had family obligations that put this on the back burner. I am back though and the truck is off having the door jamb cancer fixed. Should have it back next week.

Next is the engine. I am 2 paychecks away from getting my engine.

I'll try to post more.
My build thread
Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
danpomeroy

HERE IT IS!!!!

It's a brand new LM4 out of a 2004 SSR and a rebuilt 4L60E. I did the Ready-to-Run package from Spaldings. Picked it up Friday morning and they treated me very well. Very happy with the experience there. So far so good. I have to fuel pump and filter, engine mounts, and a few other parts. Will start the tear down process very soon and hopefully get the truck ready for the new engine by the end of the month.
Attached Images

My build thread

Last edited by danpomeroy; 05-21-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: pictures didn't show up.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
danpomeroy

Made some headway today. Got the front clip off. Then I realized I am going to have to clean all the steering stuff up before I put it all back together. May as well do it while the clip is off.
Attached Images

My build thread
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
72blueshark

looks great!
72blueshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Tinkermc

I like the engine swap but I sure hope a paint job is in the packet, that is an awful color. Welcome aboard always glad to have new blood
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
danpomeroy

Yeah, it needs some body work and will definitively get a paint job. I found some rust I wasn't expecting on the firewall so I am going to get that fixed.

I am in the process now of getting the front end parts and if it quits raining here I will get the motor out.
My build thread
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
danpomeroy

I don't have pics but I just picked up some PERFECT doors. It's hard to believe these were just sitting in a junk yard. They'll have to be painted but I couldn't find anything wrong with them. I'll get some pics and post them later.

Build has been slow lately. Just got a promotion at work so what little free time I had is gone. Plus, more work didn't translate to more money.

Also, it's been hot here. Hard to turn wrenches when it's that hot.

My wife saw a SWB in the parade and asked how come mine wasn't like that, so now, I am taking it over to my welder in a couple weeks to have the 20 inches cut from it. She didn't want me to spend the money on an SWB when I bought this one but now she wants it so she'll pay for it.

I'll try to post more pics when I can.
My build thread
Old 04-30-2015, 11:25 PM   #13
danpomeroy

Has it really been 4 years? Dang!! Hate it when money gets in the way.

Anyhow, finally made some headway. I am completely rebuilding the front end. Here's the stopping point for tonight. I am going to be putting this side back together tomorrow and hopefully have the other side done too.

All new upper/lower control arm bushings, all new tie rods, upper/lower ball joints, new brakes and drums. Rebuilding the steering box, new shocks have been ordered, new 1" drop coils for the front and 3" for the rear are sitting in the garage waiting to be put in. Have a new radiator, gas tank, fuel pump/filter, and bunches of misc other parts..

Doesn't look like I've done much but piecing together all the parts is expensive.
Attached Images

My build thread