The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
demian5

Booster bad?

My truck runs like I have a vacuum leak. The booster feels like it has some sort of boost, however when I pinch off the booster vacuum hose, the truck idles down a bit and the brakes feel like manual and require a ton of foot pressure to operate.

Right now, the truck idle has to be set to a point where the air fuel mixture screws don't effect the idle quality (it actually sounds weird at idle like its struggling to run off the idle mixture screws, almost like a puff puff sound). Off idle, perfect runner. No surging or anything. The only other vacuum line is going to the trans, and I pinched that off with no change in idle.

I just replaced the intake manifold gaskets because the exhaust crossover areas were blown out and it had an exhaust leak at the intake (that's a new one for me). It idles the same before and after, just quieter now...

Its basically a stock 350 with a turbo 350.
Has an edelbrock Q-Jet Carb that I pulled apart and cleaned it up (wasn't dirty).
MSD billet distributor with MSD blaster coil (no ignition box) set to 10+ BTDC in park at 700 RPM. I removed the vacuum advance hose and capped all the vacuum ports off.

Maybe someone has some insight. Thanks.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Booster bad?

Run the engine for a bit, then shut it off. Pry the hose and check valve off the booster can and see if there is residual vacuum. If not, booster needs replacement. Also, pinch off the hose to the booster and see if the engine changes the way it runs.. funny thing I just ordered a new booster and MC for my truck just this morning. For me the brakes worked fine, but the engine started running a little weird at idle.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
geezer#99

Put a vacuum gauge on it.
You likely don't have the needed vacuum to operate the booster.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Booster bad?

I had the same problem, had diaphragm in the. Booster. Changed it out, no more issues.
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
I had the same problem, had diaphragm in the. Booster. Changed it out, no more issues.
Ben
Right on. Thanks.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
davischevy

This doesn't address any other leaks, but, to check the brake booster, Pull the hose off the check valve at the booster, and pull a vacuum on the booster. The booster should hold steady vacuum. I usually pump it to about 20 lbs.

I have had a terrible time with leaking brake boosters the last couple of years.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #7
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Booster bad?

My post was supposed to say " The booster had a bad diaphragm " but I'm guessing you figured that out....lol. At first, I thought the brakes weren't working because of the lumpy cam I'm running (11 inches of vacuum at idle) turns out the booster was leaking so bad it didn't matter how much vacuum I put to it, it wasn't going to work. Changed out the booster and added an electric Vacuum pump (that's how I found out my booster was bad, the electric pump makes 25" of Vacuum, and it should have held it at 25", but it kept leaking down) at least it was affordable to buy a new one.
Have a good one!
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote