The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
SRT8-X

New member, new project(s)

I've been waiting to get another 67-72 project going for years. Unfortunately, the project landed with me after we lost my father in October and I'll be completing his '69 C10 step-side to continue his life long commitment and passion to classic cars and trucks.

He was a simple guy, but a perfectionist, willing to help anyone at anytime and one of those old souls that was truly genuine and the best friend you could have. Over the years, he's completed several builds, purchased a '70 C10 LWB new right when he and my mom were married and restored a '68 SWB fleet-side with many other 67-72 projects along the way. His daily drivers were the '68 from 1982 to 1992 when he finally gave into all the offers over the years. He then picked the '69 step-side up with 42k original miles on the clock and drove it from 1992 to 1998 as his daily. It then became a project, getting attention on weekends and evenings in a limited, slow process. More recently, much progress was made and the body was put back on after paint and now we're really close. It needs glass, interior, wheels / tires and basic final assembly. I'm looking forward to local street meets which are frequent and overall just getting the '69 out to drive and remember him.

My brother will be getting Dad's '57 Bel Air 2-door post that has been awaiting restoration for 25+ years. It's a clean, virtually rust free original car that has been garaged it's entire life. 283 with column shift, black on red. Both will be completed with his memory in mind and a tribute for years to come.

I learned everything about cars and the continued passion from him. I'll post more photos soon as I get acclimated to the site.

Dad and I completed a '71 SWB fleet-side when I was a teen from 1992-1995 and I poured everything I had into it. It was a factory 6-cyl / 3-spd column shift truck. We put a 327 from a '65 Chevelle in and had a 700R4 OD tranny built. It was painted turquoise with a monochrome scheme. All body work was shaved and filled (trim, sidemarkers, stake pockets, bumper bolts, tail lights, gas filler (used K5 tank) tailgate handle, door handles, etc) The interior was based off '94 Suburban buckets and console with door panels, sub box and dash pad covered to match. This was a driver as long as it had wheel on and was at home. Took 1st in Class at Texas Heat Wave in Austin in 1995. More on the '71 later, I'll get some photos posted on that one too.

I look forward to the invaluable resources available on this site and getting the '69 on the street soon. As all are, it will never be "done" as I plan on a lot of future mods but we'll be working on it all the while, missing Dad but remembering all he taught me about life, cars / trucks and work ethic...
Attached Images

2000 JEEP Cherokee Sport XJ 4x4 4.0/4A (RUBY, son #2)
2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition 1.8T/6A (GRAU GEIST, son #1)
2016 BMW X5 xDrive50i MSport 4.4L N63/8A (SCHNEEWITTCHEN)
SRT8-X is offline   Reply With Quote