The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #551
Farmtruck 2

Re: SPID Picture thread?

This is a 1970 Custom Camper C/20, my first vehicle.
Attached Images

Farmtruck 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #552
Malibu Monte

This is the SPID for my 1972 K10 4x4 that has been in the family for 25 years. It had Cheyenne Emblems on it when Dad bought it, but Dad always said he didn't think it was a Cheyenne, I don't know why he thought that. He removed all trim and emblems when he painted it in the 90's. I would like to put it back to original, but I don't know what is correct. Can anyone tell by looking a this?
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #553
cheyenne shortstep

Here's one from a '71 my buddy just picked up. Why does it say Custom Sport Truck instead of Cheyenne?
Attached Images

cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #554
halfstep

Given the last posters signature I felt I had to submit this...legit 72 Cheyenne short step
Attached Images

halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:28 AM   #555
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Clean looking spid too. The upper LH corner has come undone a bit on mine. I figure to cut the bad off, and match it with 3M protection film. May even top the entire spid off with another sheet. That is unless someone has a better idea.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #556
cheyenne shortstep

halfstep, I would love to see that truck, I love shortsteppers.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #557
halfstep

Here's an older shot...
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #558
cheyenne shortstep

Nice, I have a thing for green as well.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #559
halfstep

Thanks. We may be somewhat of a minority. I suspect there are a lot more trucks here that were green to begin with...
Old 02-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #560
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu Monte View Post
This is the SPID for my 1972 K10 4x4 that has been in the family for 25 years. It had Cheyenne Emblems on it when Dad bought it, but Dad always said he didn't think it was a Cheyenne, I don't know why he thought that. He removed all trim and emblems when he painted it in the 90's. I would like to put it back to original, but I don't know what is correct. Can anyone tell by looking a this?
Base trim truck. In 72 it would have been badged as a Custom/10.
Being a V8 350 optioned truck it had the 8 350 emblems under the front markers too but thats it.

The options and trim are clear from the SPID.
Medium Olive truck with a White roof in the Conventional Two-Tone pattern. The two-tone paint divider molding across the cab back and the Upper Bodyside (Belt) molding were the only installed. A rear bumper was not factory installed. The Chromed Hub Caps and Chromed Front Bumper were selected options though.

Inside was the Parchment (Ivory/White) vinyl with Sandalwood (Light Tan) steering column and dash pad. These are lighter than "saddle" replacements sold. The floor had a black vinyl matting.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 02-02-2016 at 03:03 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #561
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne shortstep View Post
Here's one from a '71 my buddy just picked up. Why does it say Custom Sport Truck instead of Cheyenne?
This pops up from time to time. Z84 is the correct RPO code for a 71/72 Cheyenne trim truck. However it is not uncommon to see the earlier CST description carry over onto 71 SPIDs.

From the looks of things that is a legit 71 SWB Cheyenne K10 Stepside in one of my favorite colors 505 Dark Green (non-metallic). Unfortunately the chosen olive interior was not the best of color matches to it.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #562
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Clean looking spid too. The upper LH corner has come undone a bit on mine. I figure to cut the bad off, and match it with 3M protection film. May even top the entire spid off with another sheet. That is unless someone has a better idea.
Since you are pushing for an original appearing truck I'd advise against altering the SPID. Generally I advise people to have a reproduction SPID made and attach it to another restored glovebox door thus keeping the original safe and intact. Keeps you from having the dreaded repaint masking line around the SPID as well.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:17 AM   #563
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Since you are pushing for an original appearing truck I'd advise against altering the SPID. Generally I advise people to have a reproduction SPID made and attach it to another restored glovebox door thus keeping the original safe and intact. Keeps you from having the dreaded repaint masking line around the SPID as well.
You know that's a good idea. May depend on the cost of a nice glove box door. From what I'm seeing, not bad. Nice to hear from you SS.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:32 AM   #564
cheyenne shortstep

Here's one from the 69 GMC 2500 I picked up today.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #565
Ed F

Can't help but notice the condition of SPIDS. Some really show their age while others look brand new. The one in my '70 C10 is long gone. I recently looked at a '72. The SPID was covered with a plastic film like it was it was laminated and looked brand new. So I have a couple questions.

Did GM start laminating them at some point. And if so about when did that happen?

I imagine there are reproduction ones out there. How can you tell if it's original or a reproduction?

In a case like mine where the truck no longer retains the original, is there a way to get the correct information to make an accurate reproduction.

Is there any way to verify if the truck was built to the SPID or if the SPID was created to match the truck?

I guess the answer to my second and third question would also answer the last question. And people who create reproductions do so on the honor system.
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #566
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed F View Post
Did GM start laminating them at some point. And if so about when did that happen?
Yes. I don't remember what model year but it varied by final assembly location. My '87 is laminated, and I think my '80 was laminated.

Quote:
I imagine there are reproduction ones out there. How can you tell if it's original or a reproduction?
Site member "chipflyer" does reproductions. I'm sure he can tell an original from a reproduction. http://outintheshop.com/

Quote:
In a case like mine where the truck no longer retains the original, is there a way to get the correct information to make an accurate reproduction.
You can contact the GM Heritage Center Archives, depending on your model year. For US built and/or sold light trucks after 1976 you can send them your VIN and $50 and they will return the actual vehicle invoice for your specific truck, which includes RPO content and pricing.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=1

GM of Canada has information reaching a little farther back, for vehicles sold in Canada, or vehicles produced in Canada for US consumption.

http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/options.html

If you don't fall in either of those categories you are out of luck.

Quote:
Is there any way to verify if the truck was built to the SPID or if the SPID was created to match the truck?
For the original build: The SPID is a service document. The truck is contented and all of the build information broadcast throughout the assembly plant to the areas required. The build manifest, specific build sheet, tuneup labels, tire pressure labels, VIN tag and SPID document are all created to match the truck as a result of that process. The build sheet is what communicates to the assembly floor how the truck is to be built.

40 years after the fact: It's a mixed bag. The hardcore restorer will build the truck as originally equipped; some percentage of guys build the truck the way they want. A few will make a new SPID to match the added content; from what I've observed most do not go to that effort*. You probably won't be able to tell unless (a) you have the build sheet or something else documenting the original content or (b) you ask them.

*In reviewing this thread I see one person that made a new SPID to match their added content.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-11-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:33 AM   #567
geunther

72 Cheyenne Super. Grease pencil underneath. I never noticed that before.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2016, 12:58 AM   #568
colgad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Yes. I don't remember what model year but it varied by final assembly location. My '87 is laminated, and I think my '80 was laminated.

Site member "chipflyer" does reproductions. I'm sure he can tell an original from a reproduction. http://outintheshop.com/

You can contact the GM Heritage Center Archives, depending on your model year. For US built and/or sold light trucks after 1976 you can send them your VIN and $50 and they will return the actual vehicle invoice for your specific truck, which includes RPO content and pricing.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=1

GM of Canada has information reaching a little farther back, for vehicles sold in Canada, or vehicles produced in Canada for US consumption.

http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/options.html

If you don't fall in either of those categories you are out of luck.

For the original build: The SPID is a service document. The truck is contented and all of the build information broadcast throughout the assembly plant to the areas required. The build manifest, specific build sheet, tuneup labels, tire pressure labels, VIN tag and SPID document are all created to match the truck as a result of that process. The build sheet is what communicates to the assembly floor how the truck is to be built.

40 years after the fact: It's a mixed bag. The hardcore restorer will build the truck as originally equipped; some percentage of guys build the truck the way they want. A few will make a new SPID to match the added content; from what I've observed most do not go to that effort*. You probably won't be able to tell unless (a) you have the build sheet or something else documenting the original content or (b) you ask them.

*In reviewing this thread I see one person that made a new SPID to match their added content.

K
I did it to mine. Not perfect but it was fun doing it.
Attached Images

1955 Red-Cream, Chevrolet Nomad, restoration on hold
2004 Black, Corvette Z06 LS6 convertible (Rock solid Fun) 2011/2018 Power Tour
colgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:22 AM   #569
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

My 67 CST has a 71 glovebox door. Just pick this one up today to replace it.
Not sure what the "J63 FRT & REAR SHIELDS" are. I assume they are some kind of brake shield from the "J" prefix.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1456028098
Attached Images

Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #570
jamesmadconductor

My '71 also says Custom Sport Truck after the Z84 option. I will reply to this thread with my SPID below.

1949 Chevy 3800 Panel Truck
1971 Chevy C20 Cheyenne BB402
1958 Cadillac Series 62
1958 MG-A
1940 LaSalle Series 52 Coupe
1912 Ford Model T
jamesmadconductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #571
jamesmadconductor

My 71 C20 Cheyenne's SPID and an exterior shot

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

1958 Cadillac Series 62
1958 MG-A
1912 Ford Model T
Old 02-24-2016, 02:02 AM   #572
cheyenne shortstep

jamesmadconductor, nice looking truck. Does it have Cheyenne emblems?

Canuckvetter, that looks like a 67 GBD by the ridge around the SPID label and the format of the SPID? I could be wrong though.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #573
jamesmadconductor

Cheyenne Shortstep, yes, it does have Cheyenne 20 emblems.

1958 Cadillac Series 62
1958 MG-A
1912 Ford Model T
Old 02-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #574
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne shortstep View Post
jamesmadconductor, nice looking truck. Does it have Cheyenne emblems?

Canuckvetter, that looks like a 67 GBD by the ridge around the SPID label and the format of the SPID? I could be wrong though.
Cheyenne Shortstep, I'm new to this hobby (1yr) I chose 67's because they are different. I like learning what makes them special. The GBD is 67 I believe by the ridge you pointed out and the black crinkle finish with faded silver edges. Also has the Chevrolet emblem which makes me believe it came off a true CST.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #575
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmadconductor View Post
My '71 also says Custom Sport Truck after the Z84 option. I will reply to this thread with my SPID below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmadconductor View Post
My 71 C20 Cheyenne's SPID and an exterior shot
James there is nothing wrong with your SPID it is very correct and IMHO original. Often the assembly plants RPO description varied and this is a very typical variation where an earlier description carried over onto a later build.
When it comes to SPID codes the best case is to trust the RPO number then treat the description as a generalization. After all that is all it existed for, to get the correct replacement parts.

The top level Z84 trim package for 67-70 was the "CST", this was renamed "Cheyenne" for the 71-72 MY. In April 71 GM released the YE9 "Cheyenne Super" as a yet higher content trim package.

Overall that appears to be a great truck with an intact toolbox no less! It even has a proper bumper on the back! Not much I would change there except maybe to revert to a set of white wheels and white hubcaps as it was originaly built.