The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #1
Thadious

51 Chevy on a Ford Explorer Subframe - Time for a Different Frame Swap!

So... having already worked with an S10 extended cab long box swap on a 47 (my previous build that I sold when I left Victoria) I learned a lot along the way and it was on a very tight budget. One of the things that I truly didn't appreciate was the narrow track width in the front and the requirement to run spacers to push the wheels out. I know that many have and do use them, but something in me just doesn't like the added torque on the spindles that these would cause.... it's just me.

So... with that being said... I've looked at using an Explorer 8.8 LSD rear end and then went down the path of looking at the front as well (keeping the stock track width that the explorer has and just using the entire subframe (although I am aware that I will need to extend it (which I find no big deal)). This is expected to give a better track width that would only need to be corrected with wheel offsets to get me to where I want to be.

And that leads me to my donor vehicle... it's a 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition with the V8 motor (no, I'll be using a 91 TA L98 TPI 350 with an NV3500 behind it). The explorer has 4 wheel disk and a 3.73 D4 LSD in the back with IFS and IRS. Paid $400 cdn for the donor and the cost to go get in the next town over.

Kermitt47, this is your fault! After watching the video and seeing his setup... I knew it was doable... and so... I will be doing! Here is a link to the video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj078sfLnhs

The "Project"

The "Donor"

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote