The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #26
jmon1123

Re: 17 y/o needing advice from the truck legends

I wanna give a big thanks to everyone who posted replies, this is a great community and I’m greatful for all who reached out to help.

(p.s. for those who were wondering, soft body is a 67-72, I thought it was a common term but maybe not)
jmon1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #27
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm betting theres a few 67-72 "softbodys"out there....but I'm guessing your talking trucks?...Haha
Never heard the term used for those model trucks....
The only nickname I've seen for 67-72 is action line...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_C/K
A new, more modern look came for 1967, along with a new nickname: "Action Line". It was with this revision of the C/K truck that General Motors began to add comfort and convenience items to a vehicle line that had previously been for work purposes alone.

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 07-03-2019 at 03:24 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #28
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Maybe "soft bodies" means all those voluptuous, rounded step side rear fenders.
#trucksaresexy

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #29
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Do it before you have children. Waiting till your married is absolutely the worst advice. I have seen to many friends wait, and wait. Then snap mid life crisis.

Also your perspective wife signs up for what you are. If you want to be a car but find a woman who excepts it.
I just want to second this, because our brick-fisted friend here is putting out some expert advice you'll sorely regret later if you opt to ignore. He needs to add on more thing, though.

You need to be 100% sure you're on the same page about kids before you get too seriously involved. If you're not both on the same page, this *WILL* destroy your relationship later. One of you will absolutely resent the other, without fail, if you aren't in agreement about having them. Talk about it sooner than later, don't wait til after they met the parents and you've moved in, have shared bank accounts etc. I've seen it ruin tons of marriages first-hand.

I would also say, marriage doesn't always lead to issues completing projects. But kids often seem to happen 3-5 years after you get married based on my experience, so expect one could lead to the other. I can also tell you about my kid experience. My bagged LS1/T56-loaded '68 C10 project got derailed after the 1st kid. Circumstances forced me to sell, and that came with - at least - a $4k loss. I don't want to dig on what the actual number is so we'll stick with conservative of $4k. Maybe closer to double that.

I'm fortunate, I was lucky or smart enough to find a woman who wanted someone handy but also understood I could clean up well but wasn't the suit-and-tie wine-and-dine type. She knew I grew up with less means than many and had to work on my own cars, dad was Navy plane mechanic, built his own houses growing up, made sure both his kids could do the same. She doesn't expect me to be what I'm not and she doesn't pay for plumbers/electricians/mechanics/etc. unless I advise her it's what we should do. That perk comes with her needing to understand I need to keep up on those skills by tinkering on projects, so she does just that.

Which brings me to the truck advice...

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions being like buttholes! I personally think you made a poor choice buying the '76 on impulse, but it's OK. You're young, plenty of time to live and learn.

I think you really should've bought a project more inline with what you're able to tackle given your resources & knowledge. I'd personally keep an eye out for something a little more within your means on the next one. It's definitely out there, be patient and be smart, use your brain not your impulse.

Every vehicle you buy at a lower price will have one of a couple qualities, but not all: Good body, good drivetrain, good wiring, good interior. If I were you, based on what you shared above, I'd look for something with a good body and good wiring that's running but maybe not perfectly. The tools you already have and this forum will get you through the interior and mechanical issues pretty well.

If you rely on your '76 to get around, start the hunt for something better suited to your means before selling. When you find it, list your current truck high. Go $1,600 or something. Let your sale ad run for a bit. If no bites in 4-6 weeks on Craigslist, drop it a hundred. Rinse/repeat. You can sock away the money for future work on the new vehicle.

My latest project, I wanted something vintage, low mileage/good drivetrain and good wiring so I knew I wouldn't get stuck, my project is also a daily driver. I personally didn't care about the paint or interior because those are things you can work at in small pieces while still driving around what you got. Had a couple curve balls along the way, but generally speaking, the truck's been good to me and one day will be damn amazing.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #30
rusty76

Great advice has been spoken here. If you do decide to build a truck I highly encourage you to check out the low buck build threads http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581873 You’ll finds lots of cool builds that didn’t cost a bunch of money.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #31
Red71gmc

To the OP. Maybe look for a job at an independent small body shop or mechanic shop. Be honest with the owner of what your interest are and maybe you can work out something with him. Work while learning from someone with knowledge you desire. Maybe you can work out something with them where you use his shop and tools while off the time clock.
I know I personally get excited when young people wish to learn a trade and do what I can to help them. You come across well in your post and I imagine you do also in person. It never hurts to ask.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

You sound much wiser and mature than most 17 year olds. You have reason to trust your judgement, from what I've seen you type. The 67-72s, although not all that much more, are definitely simpler and a tad easier to work on, overall, especially a basic model like this C/20. I say go for it. It will have greater resale value, as is, than your truck when time comes to move on.

Show us pictures of both. Show a lot of interest in the C/20. Look it over hard. You haven't told us all that much about it. I am leaning toward saying go for it. It's always better to love what you own when the money doesn't come easy. You will have something you 'want' to spend money on. You will have more money as time passes. The low gears don't matter because at your age you are commuting out opf town everyday or traveling far and wide. The stuff I drove when in HS I never considered driving hundreds or thousands of miles out of town.

Like I said, go back and show a lot of interest... more than once. Let him know, casually, that it's not that you don't have the money that you are hesitant. It's just a big step for you being in school, where you live, etc. Talk a little about your job plans. Just show true interest and hopefully the seller isn't a dick and that will mean something to him. If you know you are going to do this you should make a reasonable offer, like $3k. That is a very typical offer and he should not be annoyed by it. Not just an offer, tell him you can give him $3,000 and stand by that. If you simply ask if he'll take that much, when he comes back with $3,300 where do you go from there. Show you are firm, have a clue about what you are doing, as well as support from many others with vast experience in these trucks. Many who are in your economic region. Most of all, always be willing to walk away. Never act like it's the last truck on the planet.

I have never owned a vehicle that I didn't think was cool. Never had a hard time finding my rides in the parking lot. And they were almost all older vehicles, and most I didn't spend that much money to buy. I made up for it with work.

Your parents are strict? Give you lots to do around the place? Show them you are willing to take on more, partially because of this truck, in the way of getting a job while keeping up with your chores. If you folks are as smart as they are strict they will see this is a great thing for their son in this world of lay around thumb controller teenagers.

I say go for it... carefully and wisely. You can do it (and you'll never beat my record )

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote