The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
nemo834

What kind of Transmission?

Hey guys I know the answer to this question is on here somewhere but I cant seem to find it, anyway I have a 72 K5 with a 350 small and the tranny just went out on me. I want to put one in that has O/D but I know so little about transmissions. What is the easiest transmission to put in that will make this K5 an everyday driver with over drive? Also where to buy? Thanks for any suggestions.
nemo834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: What kind of Transmission?

This has been a question for everyone on here at one point or another. I don't think any of the options qualify as being "easy". I don't know what trans you currently have so I am going to assume it is a th350 auto, I'm also assuming your K5 is 4x4. In my opinion, the "easiest" thing to do is buy an nv4500 5 speed manual and convert the entire thing over to standard, but I am more comfortable with standards as opposed to autos. However, most people will say that the easiest thing to do is go with a 700r4 automatic. The main issue you get into is adapting this newer style transmission to your older style transfer case. In addition to costing more money, you also add length to you drive train because the newer tranny is longer. So you have to move you engine forward, move the transfer case back, or both...just depends on your preference. The FAQ section has a lot of good info, spend a few days in there and you will come out with a great deal more knowledge...and probably a couple more questions as well. Start with these...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=33266

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=175504

Check it out www.lsdyno.com

Last edited by Critter; 11-18-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote