The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
mikentosh

The Gentleman

I recently sold off Greenie, my '77 shorty, so it seemed like a good time to start a new project Its been a while since I've put together a pro-touring build for myself, and I've been helping out launching a new chassis company (Square One Vintage), so it seemed a no-brainer to go this direction again.

I've got a few trucks in storage waiting to get built out, but a buddy happened to send me a listing on c10sales for a '75 "Gentleman Jim" edition GMC. This particular truck had been floating around SoCal for the past few years waiting for somebody to start on it, or use it as a parts truck for other builds. Its pretty rough...lots of rust in the bed and hood, mismatched fenders, missing most of the interior...it had been hit on the passenger side years ago with poor repairs done...basically the perfect place to start for what I have in mind.

After some back and forth negotiation, we did a one day blast down to San Bernardino to haul it home.
Attached Images

mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
mikentosh

Re: The Gentleman

We actually started this build before I got the truck, with the "demo" chassis that we've been exhibiting at shows. All the chassis start from C7 Corvette geometry and suspension components, with an option for either 5th gen camaro IRS, or the "full fat" C7 Corvette trans-axle IRS. The demo chassis was setup for a transaxle, so I'm going to use an 8L90 for this one.

I've been doing some motor trading over the past year and ended up with a dry-sump LT4 sitting in the garage...perfect for this
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
mikentosh

With the November deadline of Dino's Git Down looming, we did some quick disassembly, got the chassis powdercoated in Prismatic "Gold Medallion" to match the GJ theme, and dropped the cab on top with only a few hours before leaving for Phoenix. I also did a last minute dash to find wheels off of another project to use for rollers.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2021, 12:49 PM   #4
mikentosh

Made it to Dino's, where I finally got to see it out in the sunlight for the first time. Yeah, after seeing it like this, I had to finish building it out...

So that's where things are at now. There are a ton of items on the list to check off...we've got a bunch of cab repair to do...paint and bodywork...get the drivetrain plumbed and wired...
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #5
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

mike, nice.. I was hoping you might add this to the site!. It was very cool to see you again at the git doowwnn!..LOL. thanks for the chat too ( I MIGHT have the obd2 port figured out). Sorry to see greenie go, but it ended up in a VERY cool place.. AND the new owner is not too bad as well . give a few details on the chassis for us folks!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #6
mikentosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
mike, nice.. I was hoping you might add this to the site!. It was very cool to see you again at the git doowwnn!..LOL. thanks for the chat too ( I MIGHT have the obd2 port figured out). Sorry to see greenie go, but it ended up in a VERY cool place.. AND the new owner is not too bad as well . give a few details on the chassis for us folks!
Good talking with you at the show! For this build I'm going to try and post more updates as they happen, but we've got a stretch goal to have this on the road in time for LS Fest West next year (April) so things might be moving quick.

I'm looking into getting us a vendor account for the chassis company so we can post a lot more detail about them.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
LT7A

Wow, that's an intense build. I'm glad it's not getting scrapped or parted out. I thought it was the GJ that was a 3/4 ton frame with 1/2 ton suspension to give a "touring" ride. Do I have that wrong? Maybe it's the Beau James. Obviously the custom frame and Corvette/Camaro suspension will be an upgrade to all that.

Last edited by LT7A; 11-29-2021 at 02:05 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:24 AM   #8
Low Elco

Cool lookin' pile of parts! Gonna be a nice truck!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #9
Warrens69GMC

In for the ride! Nice save!!
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #10
LEEVON

This is bonkers and I love it
Old 12-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #11
Crcrft78

Love the Gentleman Jim project. Is the Zenith TV van in the background a future project after the truck?
Crcrft78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:06 AM   #12
mikentosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crcrft78 View Post
Love the Gentleman Jim project. Is the Zenith TV van in the background a future project after the truck?
Yeah the TV repair van was too cool for us to pass up...had plans to LS swap it and drive it for a season but my automotive ADD kicked in and ended up selling it instead.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:03 AM   #13
Willie Makeit

Found this thread after doing a search for "Gentleman Jim" trucks. While not to the level of your build, I'm currently in the middle of tossing a cutdown-to-SWB GJ together using a Roadster Shop chassis and a LS powertrain.

Subscribing to your thread for updates.

Last edited by Willie Makeit; 12-22-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 06:22 PM   #14
willem445

I've never seen that color combination on a squarebody before. I actually dig it quite a bit. Looks REALLY good with those rims you put on it!
1978 Chevy C20 (future project?)
1978 Chevy C10 (parts)
1975 Chevy C10 (parts)
willem445 is offline   Reply With Quote