The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
jordanblea

Talking Front end binding up

Hello there everyone, long time picker of the threads for info, first time questioner. I drive a '69 k10 short bed, its on a 4 inch suspension lift running 35x12.5 tires, nothing crazy. A couple of months back I noticed that sometimes when turning right it would feel like I was in 4 wheel drive on pavement, the jerking and screeching of tires. However it was kind of random so I figured maybe my tires were rubbing the fender or something but that's not the case, I see no ware marks and haven't experienced it otherwise turning left. Recently within the last week or so it has gotten more consistent as far as turning right and experiencing the feel of 4 wheel drive on pavement. I am thinking that I might have a hub that is locking up or something, but why would I be experiencing the jerking and screeching of tires if the front drive line is not engaged? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome, thank you. Also since this is my first time posting I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot or not, lol.

Jordan

Last edited by jordanblea; 04-13-2014 at 05:18 PM.
jordanblea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
turp mcspray

Re: Front end binding up

I would check your front axle u-joints. Jack up one wheel and try to turn it right or left. Then rotate the axle so the joint has to turn on the other set of caps. I have had joints seize up on one set of caps, and cause problems like what you are describing.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
I would check your front axle u-joints. Jack up one wheel and try to turn it right or left. Then rotate the axle so the joint has to turn on the other set of caps. I have had joints seize up on one set of caps, and cause problems like what you are describing.
Thanks Turp, I'll have a look at it tomorrow, currently at work lol.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Are the hubs unlocked?
Check ujoints, sometimes you can see rust dust creeping from the caps.
We usually turn right sharper than we turn left, maybe something there...
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
Are the hubs unlocked?
Check ujoints, sometimes you can see rust dust creeping from the caps.
We usually turn right sharper than we turn left, maybe something there...
Hubs are unlocked and they rotate easily. We have a large parking lot at work (and I live in a cult a sac) so when I pulled in this morning I figure 8ed it as it was having its issue. Only sometimes it binds up and today it did so when I cranked to the left after pulling in and when I was turning right again it was ok....when it does bind up I can feel it on the steering wheel. The steering box is about a year or so old.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Is it hitting the turn stops? If its just hitting one side the pitman arm might be a tooth or more off. I know different pitman arms can be keyed differently. The 2 boxes I've had on my 67 were different and I had to use the right pitman arm.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
AZBIG1

Loose wheel bearings? Broken locking hub?
AZBIG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Are you positive it is the front end causing it? A buddy of mine has a 69 also and it would act as if it was locked in 4x4 when he turned, we checked the front end and found nothing wrong. We decided to service the diffs and discovered on the rear end he had a Gov loc in it, that is what was causing it.
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 View Post
Are you positive it is the front end causing it? A buddy of mine has a 69 also and it would act as if it was locked in 4x4 when he turned, we checked the front end and found nothing wrong. We decided to service the diffs and discovered on the rear end he had a Gov loc in it, that is what was causing it.
The rear end was rebuilt 18 months ago or so, has a 12 bolt posi. I haven't had a chance to check out anything on it yet today, I probably will this evening after the kids tee ball practice. I'm going to start with the u joints and look at what else has been mentioned above. Also one more thing, I can feel it in the steering wheel the first 1/4 of the turn and I know it's going to start jerking and screeching.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #10
Daman

Mine does it a little.

It's the steering stabilizer rubbing the front differential cover
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
1968k10blue

It may just be you posi, my 99 has a g80 locker in it and when that thing locks up you can be going 60 down the highway and still feel resistance in the steering wheel
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
Is it hitting the turn stops? If its just hitting one side the pitman arm might be a tooth or more off. I know different pitman arms can be keyed differently. The 2 boxes I've had on my 67 were different and I had to use the right pitman arm.
It's not hitting the turn stops anywhere new. Pit man arm was new with the steering box, and shows no new or unusual ware either. This truck is my daily driver so its got several thousand miles on it since the new steering box and rear end, so like I said its a fairly new issue that happened a few times here and there a month or so out but has done it more often recently. It's weird because I can't replicate it either.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
jordanblea

[QUOTE=AZBIG1;6628459]Loose wheel bearings? Broken locking hub?[/QUOTE

Bearings aren't loose and we pulled the hubs and they were fine. We are going to get it up on a lift and get to the ujoints, we are thinking that they are suspect.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman View Post
Mine does it a little.

It's the steering stabilizer rubbing the front differential cover
My steering stabilizer isn't near the front differential cover.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968k10blue View Post
It may just be you posi, my 99 has a g80 locker in it and when that thing locks up you can be going 60 down the highway and still feel resistance in the steering wheel
I don't think I'd drive my truck if it was doing this at highway speeds lol. It's jerky and screechy, the truck would probably flip at that speed. It's only happened making a right hand turn going slow. It's weird because it doesn't do it every time, maybe 2-3 times a day. It hasn't done it yet today.... We're going to get it up on a lift and get a good look at the u joints, they're old as it is and are due anyways.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #16
jordanblea

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #17
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Any time! Let us know what you find.
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #18
jordanblea

Update: Finally got the front end apart and inspected, everything looks and is functioning great. Got it back together thinking that maybe a dismantling might have fixed something lol. Went on a ride and no luck. I had by buddy ride with me (no one has been in the truck when it binds up) and as its fighting the right hand turn he looks at the rear end and sure enough the right rear tire was skipping along! So Black and Blue 67-72 was on the right track, I don not believe it has a locker but I'm about to get in touch with the guy who rebuilt it for me. It feels like it is locking up though, it has the c clips, not sure what is going on in there. Differentials scare me lol.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #19
jordanblea

So I talked with the guy who did the rear end work, he says to get a posi conditioner additive for it. I drained the fluid, added the conditioner and topped her off. Made the drive to work and the issue still exists. I read where I need to find a parking lot and figure 8 it for a little while and let the fluids get to/thru the clutches. Here's to keepin em crossed...
Old 06-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #20
jordanblea

Ford friction modifier for limited slip differentials, boom issue appears to be solved. Just had to work the new fluids into the clutches, had the usual drive to work today and that first right hand turn off of the highway where it usually binds up, no issues!! At least we know my front end is all set too lol, thanks guys.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #21
'68OrangeSunshine

The old GM Posi/limited-slip additive was really Whale Oil. Harder to get nowadays with all these greenie hippies ruining commerce and commercial fishing.
Glad you got it fixed. My first guess was posi lube.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #22
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
The old GM Posi/limited-slip additive was really Whale Oil. Harder to get nowadays with all these greenie hippies ruining commerce and commercial fishing.
Glad you got it fixed. My first guess was posi lube.

Where were you in the beginning?!?! lol just kidding. Yeah I'm glad to get her turning correctly, always learning something on my truck. Yeah the stuff stinks real bad!! I read where folks use it in their transmissions too. Good stuff so far.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #23
'68OrangeSunshine

They say with GL-5 90 weight [or the equivalent multi-visc] Gear Oil, you won't need the Posi additive, but I use it anyway.
And No I just picked up on this thread thru your link from the ODO thread.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #24
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
They say with GL-5 90 weight [or the equivalent multi-visc] Gear Oil, you won't need the Posi additive, but I use it anyway.
And No I just picked up on this thread thru your link from the ODO thread.
That's what I figured. Im just using 80-90 gear oil. I drained the old oil and added the friction modifier then topped her off from there.