The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
kileyb

Body crooked on frame?

Has anyone run across the nose and cab sitting crooked on the frame? Never really noticed until I lowered the front 2.5 inches with drop spindles. My passenger tire is rubbing and sticks out farther than the drivers side. Looks like there is a bigger gap between the bumper and fender on the passenger side than the drivers side. Also a bigger gap between the bed and cab. I wonder if the whole thing is shifted to the drivers side?

So, having never done anything like this before am I able to loosen the body mounts and adjust without too much trouble? Will I run into problems with anything running through the firewall if I am able to shift things to the passenger side a bit? What should I be looking for and being cautious with?
kileyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
clay68c10

Re: Body crooked on frame?

You can try shifting the body around, it may work.

The frame could also be out of square, not uncommon after 40+ years of being a truck.

Find 4 equal points on the frame and measure them cross ways (x) and see if the measurements are the same.
For example, I used the 4 farthest away from each other bed bolt holes on mine. It's 3/4" off. Not surprised since my bed doesn't quite square up with the cab. The truck has been wrecked, abused by me years ago as a teen, and was a Wyoming ranch beater before I bought it.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
kxmotox247

Post a picture of the engine compartment looking in from the front so we can see the relationship of the inner fenders to the frame rails on both sides.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

It happened a lot, particularly on regular cab pickups. The cab is so short that it can be set on the frame crooked, which causes the hood to shoot off to one side. In order to set the fender to hood gap the fenders shoot off to one side.

It is also noticeable by having a larger gap between the fender and bumper on one side than on the other, since the bumper attaches to the ends of the frame rails.

Much less likely to happen on longer cabs, like a crew cab or Suburban.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
kileyb

Thanks guys for the replies and suggestions. I'm traveling in Texas for a few more days but will grab a few pictures when I'm back to Oregon next week. I really appreciate it!
Old 09-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
kileyb

Just for fun I thought I'd share my recent changes. 2.5 spindle drop up front / 4" spring drop in the rear. Ditched the step bumper and installed a hidden hitch. Also sporting a fresh 700r4.
Attached Images