The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
glowins10

Anyone Made a Firewall Like this?

I am looking for a quick, easy, And cheap fix for my firewall. I am going to make my own, and it would save tons of time if i can just make it like this.
Has anyone seen a firewall on an AD like this (WITHOUT THE RECESSED MIDDLE IN THE FRONT)??

I think my engine will fit without the recessed middle, i just dont know what it will look like. Also, Any tips or pointers on building and installing a firewall will be great!

Here is a link for more pictures
http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/1003t.../photo_19.html
glowins10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Anyone Made a Firewall Like this?

We did this one on a taskforce with a recess but you could do it without. The recess may help with room for a distribtor unless your running a LSx. Doing it on an AD would be easier. It won't save you any time but it will save money. Doing something like a *****'n or Direct Sheetmetal firewall is almost a slap up, weld it and your done, but it cost a bunch of money plus shipping.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
addicted2dunes
Insane In The Membrane

Is that piece of angle just there temporarily to keep the metal from warping? Also, you might think of adding a couple rolled beads in it just for some rigidity to keep it from shaking going down the road and when you slam the floor or the pedals.

Project: ALTER-K-TION ('57 GMC Quad Cab) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=393750
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

I saw a thread somewhere about a guy who had used a big Wheelbarrow for the recess in the firewall . He found a garage sale Wheelbarrow- a single wheel and two handle style and used it for a firewall. If I recall he was moving the motor back and lowering/ bagging the truck. It worked quite well and was very easy to install,gave transmission hump clearance and room for a HEI . I do not remember what he did under the dashboard or what had to be done there.
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Kim57

Here's mine. It's 16 gauge.
Kim
Attached Images

Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
I saw a thread somewhere about a guy who had used a big Wheelbarrow for the recess in the firewall . He found a garage sale Wheelbarrow- a single wheel and two handle style and used it for a firewall. If I recall he was moving the motor back and lowering/ bagging the truck. It worked quite well and was very easy to install,gave transmission hump clearance and room for a HEI . I do not remember what he did under the dashboard or what had to be done there.
My buddy used a smaller (garden style) wheel barrow for the recess for the engine in his Model A Ford 35 or so years ago and it worked well. He used one that was lighter than this one http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ga...atalogId=10053 but similar in basic design. There are inexpensive ones out there with nicely shaped pans that would make good recesses for engine clearance and then you cut some old plywood for a bottom for the wheelbarrow so you can use it too.

Clearance is tight on an AD truck firewall anyhow and I don't think that many engines except a V6 will work without some sort of recess in the firewall.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
cajundragger

I made mine.

cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
glowins10

Thanks Cajun, is your engine very close to your firewall. you did exactly what i had in mind. I dont know if my distributor will get into it though. Guess I will mock it up first.
glowins10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
mr48chev

Yep, that's a slick firewall on that blue cab and it should clear most engines.

I'd suggest this Glowins 10, set your engine in place (or at least a dummy engine) and get the mounts built and make sure everything fits and then do the firewall so that you get it right the first time. It will make life a lot easier then all the sudden finding out that there is no fan clearance behind the radiator or finding out that your chosen valve covers hit the firewall and now it's finished and painted.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
cajundragger

yeah my engine is about a fingers width off the firewall.

cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Awesome looking firewalls......In the first post I would assume that is just a piece of angle tacked in....It will aid in of keeping everything nice and flat...While welding......
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote